Fastenal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fastenal

I recently went into a Fastenal shop for some SS bolts for my bike (and I bought alot there redoing my bike). There was sign as I went in stating "Fastenal will no longer open packages for small purchases" They only sell you individual pieces of current open bags, once those bags are gone, you either buy the entire bag or nothing. WTF!? Are they trying to run off customers?? I know they have a lot of walk ins like us who just need a few items. So I talked to the manger and he said they didn't pass their inventory audit so the main office sent this out. I don't know if this is nation wide or just individual stores. Might want to check into it.

They are one of the few stores that carry an extensive line of metric and SS fasteners. Lowes, Home Depot etc don't even come close. Go to their website and let them know how unhappy you are with the policy.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Find another fastener supply place. Fastenal doesn't have much anyway and they are expensive.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Find another fastener supply place. Fastenal doesn't have much anyway and they are expensive.
      We have two other fastner suppliers here, one carries very little metric stock and no SS. The other, you bring something in they say we don't have it. Fastnel here carries a good stock and if they don't have it they can order it or could. And their prices have been reasonable compared to anyone else.
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

My local Fastenal, .7 miles from my house , will not open bags, and has no open bags. They will order any individual peices I want but the whole point is that I can order stuff anywhere.
        I was bummed to find my one solid resource for local supplies out here in the sticks is really not so great. Would be nice to run up and grab the bits I need on a whim. I feel your pain.

Comment

Many of the Ace Hardware stores around here carry a great selection of stainless metric fasteners. Some of them don't, though. The inner city ones and rural ones pretty much carry only ss imperial sizes and a few nonstainless metrics. The suburban ones, though, usually have an excellent inventory of the ss metric allen head bolts GS owners cherish.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

This is the place I go:

AAA METRIC SUPPLY offers Metric and Inch Fasteners including Nuts, Bolts, Washers and Tools

They have had everything I've looked for so far, and their prices are no more than SAE stuff anywhere else.

For instance a whole set of engine cover screws for my 650 for about $3 or so. Quite often they just throw stuff in for me for free.

I just walk in there so I don't know about their shipping or online service... Let us know?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Here's where go and never get charged, usually only want a few and they throw 10 to 20 in the bag. Would be hard to live without them. Last time there
              needed four screws for tank badges and here's what I left with. A bunch of good guys

Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2012, 01:52 PM. Reason: post photo

Comment

That is nice for y'all, though Fastenal is our local vendor besides the other two stores here are useless. They haven't caught on that things are going metric yet for some reason. If I wasn't in a big hurry for things, sure ordering online is fine. Though like yesterday I was needing to replace my fender bolts and headlight housing bolts. 6 bolts and lock washers in all. And of or course, the thread pitch was 1.25, those are kind of rare around here if it wasn't for Fastnel. At first when I couldn't find SS metric with a 1.25 at other stores, they would tell me to go try Fastnel, they have everything lol.
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  This is the place I go:

AAA METRIC SUPPLY offers Metric and Inch Fasteners including Nuts, Bolts, Washers and Tools

They have had everything I've looked for so far, and their prices are no more than SAE stuff anywhere else.

For instance a whole set of engine cover screws for my 650 for about $3 or so. Quite often they just throw stuff in for me for free.

I just walk in there so I don't know about their shipping or online service... Let us know?
                  Haven't quite moved back to Colo yet. But I will! lol
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                    That is nice for y'all, though Fastenal is our local vendor besides the other two stores here are useless. They haven't caught on that things are going metric yet for some reason.
                    I never have figured this out. American cars have been metric since the '70s, yet hardware stores still have 10 times the selection in inch sizes.

Usually the metric drawers look like a desperately picked-over disaster area, with empty boxes everywhere. The gleaming rows of inch stuff are untouched... I guess they like it that way.

As far as Fastenal, they are utterly, completely, totally useless. Not once have I managed to exchange money for fasteners, despite several attempts. There's a Fastenal store a few blocks from my house and a huge Fastenal warehouse less than three miles away, yet every time I get "we kin order that fer ya", the five most useless words in the entire English language.

The shelves in my local Fastenal seem to contain mostly janitorial and building supplies.

I get most of my goodies from McMaster-Carr -- since the warehouse is in Chicago, I get stuff overnight in Indy. Incredible selection of fasteners and materials.
                    McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

If you don't want to buy bags of 25, 50, or 100 fasteners, Bolt Depot lets you order whatever quantity you need at decent prices. Limited selection, though:

This place has a lot of the obscure stuff. Hard to navigate their site, though:
                    Your one-stop shop for universal automotive retainers, automotive moulding clips and interior trim fasteners. Shop today and save on free shipping for all orders over $99!

If you need JIS (Japanese spec) bolts (8mm and larger, especially), you can find a surprising variety at your local Autozone, believe it or not. There are several important differences in specs between JIS and DIN (euro) or SAE ('murkin) metric bolts, although everything 6mm and below is pretty interchangeable.

So far, I haven't found anyone with a comprehensive selection of JIS fasteners online, at least not all that organized. And I'd love it if there were more stainless bits available in JIS.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 11-02-2012, 03:28 PM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      As far as Fastenal, they are utterly, completely, totally useless. Not once have I managed to exchange money for fasteners, despite several attempts. There's a Fastenal store a few blocks from my house and a huge Fastenal warehouse less than three miles away, yet every time I get "we kin order that fer ya", the five most useless words in the entire English language.

The shelves in my local Fastenal seem to contain mostly janitorial and building supplies.
                      With the exception of the accent, I have had the exact same experience with Fastenal; even with a commercial account they sucked.

Thankfully there is

It's all stainless.

Comment

I couldn't believe Fastenall the one time I was in their store. No stock, no help. Minimum orders, I won't be back.

Performance Race Parts, Free Shipping With Purchase of $100.00 or more

These guys have been good.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

How odd every one seems to have a different experience with Fasetnal, the one here has a good stock of metric bolts, SS as well. The manager at this one has been very helpful and even has thrown in some free pieces. He even opened a bag when he wasn't suppose too. He told me I rather open a bag for you then lose you to someone else. Guess some managers actually care about their customers. I think Corporate good learn a thing or two from this one guy.
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Fastenall is basically for large companies not people like me or you. They cater to shops that buy in bulk, but I didn't think their prices were any good even at that....

I ordered from
                            McMaster CARR a week or so ago and found the website to be Fantastic, and prices FANTASTIC.

Anyone can register , log in, etc...

I ordered stainless screws on a nite at 6 PM and UPS delivered NEXT DAY at 10AM ..shipping on my whole order was 7 DOLLARS

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
                              Fastenall is basically for large companies not people like me or you. They cater to shops that buy in bulk, but I didn't think their prices were any good even at that....

I ordered from
                              McMaster CARR a week or so ago and found the website to be Fantastic, and prices FANTASTIC.

Anyone can register , log in, etc...

I ordered stainless screws on a nite at 6 PM and UPS delivered NEXT DAY at 10AM ..shipping on my whole order was 7 DOLLARS
                              This is good to know as I now have to drive 40 miles to Shamrock. was great when lived two miles from them.

Comment

Working...
                              X