Wolo Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
    I am noticing some inconsistency with the sound produced by my Wolo. Anyone experience this?
    Yes. Clean and oil the compressor.

See my post above -- post #12, point 7.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      Yes. Clean and oil the compressor.

See my post above -- post #12, point 7.
      Cleaned and oiled it per your post a couple weeks ago, still have inconsistency. Sometimes it blows just great & sometimes not much at all. Might have a bad one or it's just old. Bought it used

Comment

If it is inconsistent it is likely electrical. have you measured the voltage when it doesn't work? Check connections. Other than that I assume you donot have a scope and current clamp?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          If it is inconsistent it is likely electrical. have you measured the voltage when it doesn't work? Check connections. Other than that I assume you donot have a scope and current clamp?
          Agreed.

Could also be the relay. The relay that comes with the horn is not the greatest. Sometimes relays will show full voltage if you put a meter on the terminal without a load, but are unable to pass enough current to operate a horn. (Measure voltage when you operate the switch with the horn plugged in and with the horn unplugged.)

It may be simplest to just obtain another relay and swap it in.

They're up to $5.49 at Advance these days... damn inflation.
          Last edited by bwringer; 08-28-2014, 05:01 PM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Agreed.

Could also be the relay. The relay that comes with the horn is not the greatest. Sometimes relays will show full voltage if you put a meter on the terminal without a load, but are unable to pass enough current to operate a horn. (Measure voltage when you operate the switch with the horn plugged in and with the horn unplugged.)

It may be simplest to just obtain another relay and swap it in.

They're up to $5.49 at Advance these days... damn inflation.
            I guess I just assumed, you generally look for a voltage drop between un-loaded(higher voltage) and loaded (lower voltage) to indicate that current is actually being pulled.

I doesn't matter where you look at that (either side of the relay or the battery) as long as it is the high side. The load in steady state is 15 amps so expect a little more drop than just turning the key on. Total load with horn is 25 amps and the battery voltage should drop close to a volt.

If not then , check for voltage as close to the horn. If it is there and still not dropping then maybe an intermittent winding int the horn and you can toss it.
            Last edited by posplayr; 08-28-2014, 05:18 PM.

Comment

THAT is worth seeing. May even bring some popcorn!

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              The biggest problem is dodging cars after you honk it. They scatter every which way.

Good fun, if you're not in the way.

Comment

I put a Wolo on my Hilux, here it is underwater, still works, and I use it all the time.

sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I'm going with the Hella Supertones. VW used their predecessors in the Jetta back in the 80s. Damned things were loud, clear and surprisingly small.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                    I'm going with the Hella Supertones. VW used their predecessors in the Jetta back in the 80s. Damned things were loud, clear and surprisingly small.
                    Didn't know they were that inexpensive. may just have to make a switch. I think I'll take another look at the Wolo over the weekend and see what the issue is but I really like the more standard look of the Hella's for sure, this wolo is an eyesore

Comment

I've had the Fiamm Twin Tones on my bike for a few decades, they work well and currently cost $20. Set up with a relay.

Comment

I've always used Fiamms, loud and cheap. Very loud.

Comment

After reading this thread knowing I need better then what is now on my bike I thought WTH and bought a set of Fiamm twin tones.
                          On the way as this is typed.

The chrome sold me!

Comment

Well my horn smashed into my fender and the the air tube was half in/ half out of the horn. I have located it upward and zip tied the cage of it back together, working better now. I looked at Harbor Freight and the newer model looks a little bit better made

Comment

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
                              After reading this thread knowing I need better then what is now on my bike I thought WTH and bought a set of Fiamm twin tones.
                              On the way as this is typed.

The chrome sold me!
                              Attached to bike and half the wiring done via relay.
                              Plan on finishing my last three solder points and tucking the wires in sat morning when I get off work
                              Had to test it.

Should have tested it outside the barn and not inside!
                              Yeah, they are loud!
                              Scared myself

Comment

Bump; see first post for updated data re: SSPB.

Comment

Working...
                                X