Babbit's Online - TERRIBLE experience.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Babbit's Online - TERRIBLE experience.

So I ordered a new petcock from "Babbit's Online" a couple weeks ago. Fair price, and reasonable shipping. Got the petcock in and it turns out they sent me the wrong one.

I put in my Year, make, and model into their database and it spit me out the incorrect petcock. I contacted them about the issue and thats when the B.S. started...

For starters, it took them several days to respond to any of my emails. They origionally told me that -I- was mistaken and that I must have an aftermarket tank, I dont... Once I shot a hole in that explanation, they said "Oh, you ordered from the wrong year"... No I didnt. And the year They said I ordered from has the SAME petcock. So even if I did (which I didnt) it was still wrong... so I shot a hole in that explanation too... After waiting for several days for another Bullcrap explanation I finnally said forget it.

I told them I just wanted to return it and order from a different company. Well, they wanted to charge ME the return shipping and a 25% restocking fee! OH HECK NO!

I went back and forth with them about how this was neither fair nor ethical since they sent me the wrong part... It wasnt quick, and it wasnt pleasant, but after several emails they eventually said that they would waive the re-stocking fee but will NEVER pay for return shipping.

Bottom line, Terrible company, terrible business ethics, and I will never order from them again. Especially since it cost me extra money just to send them back their incorrect part...

We need a list, RodeNow, G&S Suzuki, and now Babbitt's. I'm sure there's more.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've bought from them before. No problems here. I wouldn't be to quick to put them on the list with RideNow.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I have used Babbits several times only had one issue when some small valvecover bolt gaskets were missing from the box but were on the packing slip I called and they apologized and sent them out no questions no charge. I would not hesitate to use them again.
        sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
        1994 gsxr1100w
        1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Too bad you had trouble. Assuming you ordered with a credit card...stop payment.

I've been lucky enough to get exactly what I ordered every time for all three of my bikes. I have a list I'm about to order (several hundreds of dollars) with a credit card. Hope this doesn't jinx my order...
          sigpic
          1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
          2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Post a pic of the part you got and your bike.

If you don't want to fart around with sending the petcock back, I bet someone here will take it if it's just for another model GS.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Bustedknuckles View Post
              Bottom line, Terrible company, terrible business ethics, and I will never order from them again.
              Thanks for the warning - I'll avoid them like the plague.

Without threatening, it can help to inform problem vendors that you're very active on the Internet and a member of several motorcycle forums. If they're smart they'll realize it's in their interest to satisfy you.

Of course your best protection is to always use a major credit card.

Thanks again for the heads up.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Just found this:

"Incorrect Part Arrived after waiting 15 days. Was told to place package outside for return shipment the next day. Four days after putting the package outside and bringing in it back in each day, I called once again 8th in the que. Took pictures and sent incorrect part to customer service. 30 days later, three phone calls (10 minutes on hold each) I still don't have the part. Absolutely Horrible. Order Locally, spend a few dollars more, and don't deal with on online "phone bank" I did not order online for the price savings I ordered for convenience. That did not work. Do not Order from this company. "
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Well, from what I've heard here, other people have used them with satisfaction. But also didnt receive the wrong parts. I think the main difference is if you get sent an incorrect part or have some issue with the order. Thats when Babbits becomes unsatisfactory. Again, just my experience. But I will never order from them again.

Comment

I've used Babbits a couple times, no issues.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I have used them several times for many parts and nothing got screwed up on my orders. Then again, i dont use all that fill in the box crap. i go right to the parts fiches and click and play from them. I go to parts fiches at Boulevard, Babbits and Alpha Sports. to do my ordering.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        Post a pic of the part you got and your bike.

If you don't want to fart around with sending the petcock back, I bet someone here will take it if it's just for another model GS.
                        That's what I end up doing, sometimes, too.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Do we know yet what petcock you actually have?

If it will fit a 1000G, I'm interested.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I already paid for shipping and sent it back unfortunately. Got my refund though without the 25% restocking fee tacked on.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Do we know yet what petcock you actually have?

If it will fit a 1000G, I'm interested.

Comment

Working...
                            X