Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANYONE HAVE CRUISE CONTROL ON THEIR BIKE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a throttle rocker, and love it. Not cruise control, it just allows you to flex your hand, relax your grip, while still maintaining trottle position.

best $9 I've spent yet. 2 years old and going.

Comment

I just installed a throttle rocker this weekend, and I think it's a keeper.

I had to stop three or four times to move it down another smidgen -- the suggested placement was a wee bit too high for me. When I'd push to initiate a right-hand turn, I would end up pushing on the TR and opening the throttle.

Now that it's down a bit more and in the right place for me, it's quite unobtrusive and allows me to use the same loose grip on the throttle hand that I usually use on the clutch hand. I have much less tingling effect from vibration on long rides. It's there when I need it, and completely out of the way when I don't.

I was also impressed with how stable it is -- I could remove it in a second if needed, but it's rock solid, even with my oddly shaped grips.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have a Vista Cruise throttle lock on the Gold Wing and the GS1100. I would not ride without one and have been using one for at least 20 years. Both are the plain ring type model. They also make a universal type that has a rod connecting the handlebar to the actual locking part on the grip. I don't like that type because there is too much flex in the rod, and when you lock it at the desired rpm and let go of the throttle, the rpm drops because of the flex. The simple ring type Vista Cruise is the better of the two in my opinion because when you flip the lever to lock the throttle with your thumb at the desired rpm, it stays at that exact rpm when you let go of the grip. When properly set up, you can lock the throttle but still overide it in an emergency without flipping the lever, or instantly easily flip it on or off with your thumb. It's great for warming up the bikes. After the choke is off, lock the throttle at about 1,800 rpm until it warms up. I broke my right wrist many years ago so holding the throttle on a long ride is painful. The Vista Cruise really helps on those long rides. Bill

Comment

Oh, I forgot. The Vista Cruise is also great to use when synchronizing the carbs. I usually synch them at around 2,000 rpm and the Vista Cruise keeps it exactly there. Bill

Comment

I put a Vista cruise on my 83 Katana because my hand goes to sleep after riding for about 20 minutes. I bought the one that is for Kawasaki's that doesn't have the rods that go over the switch box. I had to do a little moodification to the plastic throttle sleeve, but when it was all done, it works great. It has a little tab on the side that attaces it to the Throttle casing. I made a small metal bracket to attach it. If anyone wants pictures of it let me know and I will post some. No more loss of feeling in my hand.

Comment

I put a Vista cruise on my 83 Katana because my hand goes to sleep after riding for about 20 minutes. I bought the one that is for Kawasaki's that doesn't have the rods that go over the switch box. I had to do a little moodification to the plastic throttle sleeve, but when it was all done, it works great. It has a little tab on the side that attaces it to the Throttle casing. I made a small metal bracket to attach it. If anyone wants pictures of it let me know and I will post some. No more loss of feeling in my hand.

Comment

I put a standard single-screw hose clamp around the left most part of the throttle grip where the thumb rests. With a little adjustment you can jamb your thumb up against it to hold the throttle in position at highway speed without having to grip. Lets me stretch out my fingers.

I did not like the throttle rocker. I sometimes found myself adding throttle when my intent was to let it snap shut.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I have a throttle lock and would not be without it.

It gets used for warming up the bike in cold weather, (near or below freezing) and, as Steve said, whenever I need to do something else with my right hand.

The lock is readily adjusted to whatever force you wish it to have. Mine is set to barely hold the set position against the throttle spring return, so normal engine vibration will cause it to slowly release in a minute or so.

This means I keep my hand in place, but with a light grip, and it allows me to easily override the lock at any time, and either open or close the throttle to suit needs. On longer trips, it allows for a temporary break or relaxed grip, each of which help to relieve the numbness that sets in from holding the same grip position for a long while, and having to squeeze the bar while doing so.
                  "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                  Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I have a throttle rocker and enjoy very much. I'm looking forward to installing the throttle lock this winter (it was a great christmas gift).
                    Victor Kolb
                    '80 GS1100L -
                    '85 GS550L -
                    '04 Bandit 1200S - gone
                    '02 BMW R1150 RT - gone as well
                    '15 Triumph Bonneville NewChurch
                    '17 Triumph Tiger 80 XRx

Comment

Originally posted by Katamaniac
                      I mounted a Vista Cruise on my ZRX i got the universal one and used a dremel tool to remove the forked tabs then just used a small short sheet metal screw to bolt it directly into the plastic throttle housing. Works like a charm for my old once broken right wrist. On the GS I ordered the padded grips with a built in Throttle rocker wing on it and that works great for me for the long rides.

Comment

I bought a brand new electronic / vacuum model which still sits unopened on the shelf, thinking about getting a ring-lock model everyone is gasping about. Personally, I couldn't stand to have any extra obviously aftermarket crap (switches, panels, etc) on the handlebards or dash.

Comment

Ever since I broke my right wrist I can't ride for any distance without a throttle lock.

And it is nice being able to take my right hand off the bars on the 4-lanes, made the Boulder to Houston ride a lot nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by udco
                            I don't know what these have to do with being lazy, but they are very useful. I've had mine for 18 or 19 years now.

I have an old N.E.P. throttle lock that operates with a thumb lever. Once adjusted, it engages and disengages easily, and you can still rotate the throttle when it's engaged.

I don't use it very frequently, but it's sure nice to have when my right hand needs some relief on a long ride.
                            Originally posted by KennyJ
                            I have an NEP one also, I think it works really well. Easy to apply, disengage, simple, and does not "lock" the throttle so hard it can't be overridden.
                            I have used the N.E.P. too. I agree with the above two views. This poduct has to be the next best thing to fairings in motorcyling. There is no way in the world that I could have held open the throttle on my bike 10 to 12 hrs a day without it. The throttle return springs on 81 GS11's were designed by the Marquee de Sade.

Comment

I bought a throttle lock once, but it looked too complicated to install, so I took it back (pathetic, I know - I'm a pretty good carpenter, though). I would like to have one, I think. I've used a throttle rocker and it's been great, but after about a year it started to slip some - either the throttle rocker's wearing out or it's smoothing out the grips too much.
                              "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

I recently bought an '80 GS 850 G... It came with a throttle lock. I assumed it was an option that Suzuki offered at the time on this model. The condition of the plastic - fading etc - looks the same as the other control switches. Does anybody know if that is the case? Or maybe they never offered it from the factory... If mine is aftermarket, how can I tell which one it is? Thanks, Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X