Buyers guide for an 83 gs1100e?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went ahead and bought it!

Drove about 60 miles, about 50 of those miles on the highway. You'll be hearing alot more from me now.

I love the bike, but definitely gotta address some issues, number one being this delkevic exhaust. It is very loud and has a head ringing 'drone' to it, anything over 3000 rpm. So basically anytime you're on the highway. My head was aching by the time I got back home.
    looking at the pictures, does it look like the baffle has been altered? Is this exhaust known for having a loud drone?

Comment

Congrats! Looks real nice in the pics. Of course I'm curious about $ (I have an 82 painted like an 83).
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I've never been around a Delkevic pipe but it looks really restricted, hard to imagine it would be very loud. Back in the day we would completely remove the baffles & run with completely wide open pipe. Bike looks really nice. Forget about that bike's eng. yr. model, entire bike looks way too nice & original to even think of such a thing. Congrats, I'd say you did good.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by adam83 View Post
          I love the bike, but definitely gotta address some issues, number one being this delkevic exhaust. It is very loud and has a head ringing 'drone' to it, anything over 3000 rpm. So basically anytime you're on the highway. My head was aching by the time I got back home.
          looking at the pictures, does it look like the baffle has been altered? Is this exhaust known for having a loud drone?
          Yep, I have the same Delko megaphone and it's a total pita.
          It's near enough a straight-through and the Delko baffle is a joke, which makes a slight difference to the harsher notes, but not enough.
          I ended up welding a Supertrapp assembly on the exit, which mitigates the racket somewhat, but I still wouldn't call it quiet.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Regarding the exhaust... I had an 83 1100e many years ago. It had a crappy Mac exhaust. I ended up building a baffle for it with a small turnout (approximately 45°) on the end to direct a lot of the noise away from the bike. It helped quite a bit.

congratulations on buying a fine looking cycle.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
            X