Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS1000 member question

Hi Guys,
    I have been reading these forums and first "Thank you" to all the members for their help with these vintage bikes.
    I just picked up a 1980 GS1000G, I'm in the process of getting it running again. I got my Clymer manual in yesterday which helps!

I found the thread on the "mystery hole" which help me figure out why I'm leaking oil through the bottom as this tube was pumping oil into the starter area. After I removed the starter and cleaned the entire area, I started the GS up again and oil is coming out of this pump/ tube. What is this tube? Should it be plugged in somewhere? Why does it flow more when I rev the GS up? Seems like it should be simple
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

That is a crankcase vent. First thing is be sure your crankcase isn't over full of oil. checked while on center stand, NOT side stand.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

It was doing this before the oil change, and it's doing it afterward as well. During my filter and oil change, I only put 3 quarts in. Manual says 3.4.
      Maybe this is gear oil overflow? I have not changed it yet, perhaps the last person overfilled it? It's on the center stand as well

Comment

Sorry, I shouldn't have just called it a crankcase vent, that's not the name on the parts fische, part # 51, it's called a plug, bLeather, not sure maybe a misprint for bReather & not being shown on the chain dr. models, should be a clue.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks rphillips. Good call if it is not shown on the chain models, then it must be gear oil related

Comment

after further research it is not a secondary gear breather. It is a crankcase vent. Would would be causing the motor to push this out?

Every time I start the bike, within a minute or two oil leaks out of the breather. Seems like there is too much crankcase pressure to leave this plugged. I don't want to start blowing seals. Should this be venting to atmosphere or connected somewhere?

Also would a blown head gasket cause this pressure in the crankcase? I do see some oil coming out of exhaust side, upper head gasket. it's a very slow drip while running.

Comment

The crankcase vent should be on top of the valve cover. Appx. 3/8" hose running from a plate on the top center rear of the valve cover to the top center front of the air box. The cam chain tunnel is wide open down into the lower crankcase... Just looked again, only the shaft dr. models have this part.
              Last edited by rphillips; 08-18-2022, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonadams74 View Post
                Hi Guys,
                I have been reading these forums and first "Thank you" to all the members for their help with these vintage bikes.
                I just picked up a 1980 GS1000G, I'm in the process of getting it running again. I got my Clymer manual in yesterday which helps!

I found the thread on the "mystery hole" which help me figure out why I'm leaking oil through the bottom as this tube was pumping oil into the starter area. After I removed the starter and cleaned the entire area, I started the GS up again and oil is coming out of this pump/ tube. What is this tube? Should it be plugged in somewhere? Why does it flow more when I rev the GS up? Seems like it should be simple
                Your symptoms point to the failure of the oil seals between the crankcase and the secondary gear compartment, allowing that compartment to fill up with engine oil. The excess is pushed out through the breather and the mystery hole.

There are quite a few old threads describing the problem "Mystery hole oil seepage".

To positively confirm the above, you should drain the secondary gear oil and measure the volume of oil that came out. If it is much more than the specified volume, that confirms engine oil is going past the seals into that compartment. Another clue is that the colour of the oil will be dark if the engine oil is not new, instead of light-coloured gear oil.
                1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

2BRacing took the words out of my mouth.
                  The oil level in my bike is always well over the level mark when I change and the dark colour says engine oil getting in.
                  I'm not going anywhere near it anytime soon. I change the gear oil regularly and at my mileage that's good enough for me.
                  I also recall an old thread. Motor taken out, flipped and the lower crank case removed. All done in a weekend with help from a friend if I recall correctly.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

This is interesting, I've never been inside one of these. There should be no pressure pushing the motor oil through that seal, just seeping (oozing) through into that compartment (tank). With only the eng. running & the gears just sitting there, not even turning, what would push the eng. oil & gear oil mixture up & out that vent on top of the case? May see it if gears were turning & kind'f slinging the oil, but... Very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                      This is interesting, I've never been inside one of these. There should be no pressure pushing the motor oil through that seal, just seeping (oozing) through into that compartment (tank). With only the eng. running & the gears just sitting there, not even turning, what would push the eng. oil & gear oil mixture up & out that vent on top of the case? May see it if gears were turning & kind'f slinging the oil, but... Very interesting.

Thank you all for responding, I really appreciate all the help from 2BRacing, Brendan & rphillips. When you say "may I see the gears" to which are you implying to see?

See video attached

Last edited by jasonadams74; 08-18-2022, 11:52 AM.

Comment

That's a serious leak.
                        Given that the original function of that vent was to prevent the seals in the secondary being pressurised and there is clearly an internal 'vent' to the crankcase, maybe it's not needed anymore?
                        Thinking on my feet here but blocking that vent may reduce the flow of crankcase gas and engine oil into the secondary box.
                        First thing I would do is open the level screw in the box and drain any excess. Then run the motor and see what if any comes out the breather hose and when it cools down check the level in the box again.
                        97 R1100R
                        Previous
                        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                          That's a serious leak.
                          Given that the original function of that vent was to prevent the seals in the secondary being pressurised and there is clearly an internal 'vent' to the crankcase, maybe it's not needed anymore?
                          Thinking on my feet here but blocking that vent may reduce the flow of crankcase gas and engine oil into the secondary box.
                          First thing I would do is open the level screw in the box and drain any excess. Then run the motor and see what if any comes out the breather hose and when it cools down check the level in the box again.

Thank you Brendan, I will try that as well. I found this youtube where a guy refers to that plug as gear box vent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLkXXII28yA 3:40 sec

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                            2BRacing took the words out of my mouth.
                            The oil level in my bike is always well over the level mark when I change and the dark colour says engine oil getting in.
                            I'm not going anywhere near it anytime soon. I change the gear oil regularly and at my mileage that's good enough for me.
                            I also recall an old thread. Motor taken out, flipped and the lower crank case removed. All done in a weekend with help from a friend if I recall correctly.
                            This old thread detailed the job with photos (hosted on Photobucket) that still show up on my side. I hope it is of help to the OP.

Mystery hole oil seepage - seal between secondary gear compartment - The GSResources Forums

1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Guys this is it, finally I have my answer. Thank you all. Your link is exactly what this bike is doing. Question what if I piped the overflow back into the engine? What harm would that cause?

Comment

Working...
                              X