No announcement yet.

New GS1000 member question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't look at the link yet but it seems if you run that oil back over in the crankcase, eventually you will be running the gears in motor oil. If the bike has been doing this for a while, the gear oil is already diluted, or displaced, with motor oil
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by jasonadams74 View Post
      Guys this is it, finally I have my answer. Thank you all. Your link is exactly what this bike is doing. Question what if I piped the overflow back into the engine? What harm would that cause?
      You could end up diluting the gear oil to the point of frustrating the designers decision that those particular gears need heavier oil. There have been a few cases on here where that box locked up underway. I don't recall any smoking gun but that seal failure is surely up there as a possible contributory cause.
      An interim measure might be to block the vent and reduce the flow of engine oil and gas into and through the box?
      I do only a few thousand a year and change the oil every spring. It's always over full, as I said earlier, but not by too much. You case seems to be in a different league.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post

This old thread detailed the job with photos (hosted on Photobucket) that still show up on my side. I hope it is of help to the OP.

Mystery hole oil seepage - seal between secondary gear compartment - The GSResources Forums
        Quite a find however you did it.
        By the powers vested in me I hereby appoint you chief custodian of records
        97 R1100R
        Previous

Comment

The original engine in my 79 850 had developed a leak between engine and bevel, but it soldiered on for ages like that.
          I knew that some other shafty bikes were (by design) running their front bevels in engine oil, so it didn't particularly bother me.
          I just kept a careful eye on levels.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Guys I have a favor since I am somewhat new to the GS bike. Could the group try and help me with a parts list for that rebuild thread?
            • I need to know which gaskets, O-Rings etc that I will need. Unfortunately, it is not listed, thus I want to make sure I have all the parts before I remove the engine.

Thank you all in advance, Love you guys.
            JA

Comment

✓access the TRANSMISSION schematic✓find Suzuki TRANSMISSION spares easily✓OEM parts online available

This should help identify the seals in the box.
              You will likely need new gaskets for the clutch and generator covers and the oil pan. Will need a threebond or similar product to seal the cases.
              There is also a bit in the repair thread about sorting a tool to get the seals off and on.
              They replaced quite a bit of other stuff and left question marks hanging over the missed opportunity to replace crank seals.
              IMHO if it isn't broke don't fix it especially if it could be done later with the motor on the bike. When you start into stuff it can unravel.
              An exception might be the oil pump o rings. It's a shot to nothing.
              97 R1100R
              Previous

Comment

Thanks BW, yes I was already planning on replacing all the seals. Oil pan, Clutch, Head Gasket etc. They come as a total kit. My specific question is about the seals that failed in this thread. Those 2 seals are the culprits that let oil into the gear box chamber. I have identified 1 but I can't figure out the second one.

The first seal is part 22 and 20 "Oil Seal". On the next gear up I can't seem to find that seal, I wonder if its labeled as something else? It should be somewhere around part number #10 or #12?
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm looking at parts 55 and 20 ?
                  Just checked over to the 850 and it looks similar.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous

Comment

Ok great! I was thinking about ordering part 20,22, 51 & 55
                    Anything else you think I may need on the bottom end? Thanks

Comment

Just an update. I have everything taken off the bike ready to pull the engine. Gathering my parts list and I am having an issue locating this "Cam Dog Stopper" that was referenced. Does anyone have a used one LOL. It's a long shot, but the part has been discontinued.
                      Attached Files

Comment

What is it for?
                        Current Bikes:
                        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I had oil in my 1980 GS1000G gearbox. The internal O-rings have given out, thus oil started to pour out of the mystery hole. Long story short, I have the block split and I found the two seals. Now I need to get this "Cam dog stopper" spring off. Concerned I don't have the right tools. Wondering if anyone had any ideas???

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X