Getting more interested in 2-up riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting more interested in 2-up riding

With my wife on the back of the FZ1, it gets somewhat crowded so I'm starting to think about finding something with a bit more room. I came across a 2000 BMW K1200LT for sale and looks pretty comfy, although very big and heavy. Anyone have any insight on these sport tourers almost the size of a gold wing? Thanks.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Nope, never ridden but 1 Beemer... But just a point. I bought my GSX1100G specifically for hauling the wife, thinking it should be designed more for handling extra wgt. On my other bikes I hardly know she's back there, but on the GSX1100G I really feel the extra wgt., but can't figure why. No doubt she's not scrooched up against me as much on the GSX1100G, but feeling the extra wgt. is sure annoying.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Are fast for how big they are. Had one of them catchup to me on highway, ran next to me for a while, then with nearly no sound I was watching it disappear ahead of me.

maybe visit local (??) dealership and see what you think. Ask for estimate for 6k miles service and 12k.

>>later note
      oh wait, maybe that was a 1600 that left me behind seemily effortlessly.
      Last edited by Redman; 09-20-2022, 02:07 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        (BMW) 1600 that left me behind seemily effortlessly.
        Same thing happened to me. We rode together at 110 mph for a while, but my courage dissipates at 115, and he was gone.

1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          Are fast for how big they are. Had one of them catchup to me on highway, ran next to me for a while, then with nearly no sound I was watching it disappear ahead of me.

maybe visit local (??) dealership and see what you think. Ask for estimate for 6k miles service and 12k.

>>later note
          oh wait, maybe that was a 1600 that left me behind seemily effortlessly.
          Probably 1600. While the 1200 seems quick enough, I don't think it's known for being THAT quick. I believe they come in around 98 crank HP.
          Current Bikes:

Comment

Nardy might be the man to talk to.... I think he liked all his "2-up" bikes. Personally I'd probably pick the Tenere out of the ones he had. My friend likes his Triumph 1200 with the 17" wheels with his Mrs on the back...
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Hum..... I wonder if that FinalDrive is the same on these 4cylider engine bikes is the same as on the 2002 RT (2cylinder boxer) I had......

Other note: Check out the seat height specification.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

After watching a bunch of youtube videos of this bike, I'm going to look elsewhere. Too many problems and it's a pita to work on. You have to remove too much plastic to get to anything. Have to remove the gas tank just to access the radiator fill tube. And the final drive is know to fail. This thing weighs in over 900 pounds. I'll pass.
                Current Bikes:

Comment

You may want check out the valve/shim setup of the 1200, is it the same as the 1600 system?

I was looking at a 1600 at a bike show and a BMW tech who I'm acquainted with warned me to stay away as it has very expensive upkeep, he said the valve buckets/shims are about $40-50 each when it comes time to replace them.
                  Last edited by wyly; 09-22-2022, 11:54 PM.
                  1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Yeah, that's what BMW stands for. Bring More Wallet. They are extremely proud of their parts and don't even get me started on the helpful guys of the BMW forum. Not going to say which forum as there are many. Maybe even some of them are like real humans.

Good choice Dave and way to do your homework before plunking down any $$$$$$$$.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

An early 80's Honda Goldwing Interstate is a really nice older touring bike. Plenty of room for two, plus bags and small trunk. Seat height is comfortable and they're really affordable, easy maintenance, smooth, quiet, and plenty of power for two-up.
                      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

This Larry agrees with ^^^^that Larry. The older Goldwings come up for sale quite often and are very affordable. I only owned 1 honda in my life and I had a real love/hate relationship with it. I loved the fact it never needed anything more than routine oil and filter changes. But, the hate side of it was all the time it took to remove the tupperware to work on that v-4 engine.
                        I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than have to work on that engine.

Having said all of that, I sold it with 144,000 miles on it and it was still running like a new one.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Same thing with the K1200LT. Can't even flush out and replace the coolant without removing a ton a plastic AND the gas tank, which is an odd shaped thing underneath all that plastic. I rode the FZ1 today over lunch for the first time in a couple weeks. I just love that bike. Maybe I can just have the seat redone by Russell Daylong to include making the rear seat area like the front.
                          Current Bikes:

Comment

Goldwing seems an easy choice, lots of used ones about and at reasonable prices.

If sports touring is a consideration Honda Blackbird, very quick. People I know who have owned them loved them but I have no practical experience of my own, maybe not as versatile two up as a goldwing. Checking the market I found a half dozen for sale $2,700-5,000, (canadian prices). I might check that out for myself next spring.
                            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

I never thought of the Blackbird as a sports tourer. It's more along the lines of a 95/96 Kawasaki GPZ1100. I owned a '95 GPZ and was a great bike, but not really a 2-up situation.
                              Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                              X