Just aquired 3 gs's and need advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BreakawayGS View Post
    All three bikes come with factory oil coolers are far as I can tell. Are those adequate?
    I would think so. However...

You may find that riding without those lowers during the day is more comfortable, as they might trap engine heat around your legs.

1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The oil coolers are very functional. I've seen some of these big with big bore kits, and they still use the factory oil cooler. They are so cold blooded, the bike might never warm up if you got o a bigger one.

As far as the fairing lowers, good point. There are some quick disconnect pieces you can find at a speed speed shop if you think it may get to hot. The opening in the front is pretty wide, I don't think that they would be that much of an issue, as they are narrow, and on that bike, your legs aren't that tight against the bike and the edge of the fairing, but I'm only 5'7", so I can only speak for myself. When I get around to mounting mine, I am going to make sure I can easily remove it.

Comment

As far as the value: no, you will not make money restoring and then selling any of these. Put that thought straight out of your head.

You do have the potential for great enjoyment and personal satisfaction (not to mention a few months or many months of hard work, expense, and assorted frustrations to be overcome) ahead of you if you choose one of these bikes to focus on. It's a well-trodden path, and the help you need is here; start with the "Newbie Mistakes" thread before you order any parts.

As to the level of restoration... since you're not already dead set on and beginning an unstoppable meticulous over-restoration, I think you have your answer.

Most of us focus on functional restoration; bring everything mechanical back to factory spec, and make the usual necessary improvements for more reliable charging, safer suspension & braking, etc. Expect to spend somewhere around $1,500 - $2,000 for parts, maybe more, maybe less. Ride the bike for a while, fall in love, then decide how far you want to take the cosmetic end of things.

After the first bike, you'll be in a better position to make decisions about the other bikes.

Will it be worth it to you personally? I can't say because I don't know you, but I can say I've spent a ridiculous amount of money over the years on my GS, as have all of us, and it's been worth every last penny in terms of satisfaction and enjoyment. And I think that describes most of us here.

See, motorcycles don't make a damn bit of sense in the first place; the only reason we ride at all is because we like it. And therefore what you enjoy riding, and how you enjoy the wrenching and restoration doesn't have to make any logical sense at all either. If it speaks to you, if you like it, then go right ahead and spend the time and money it takes to do things right, and as safely as possible.

Again, look for and spend some time soaking in the "Newbie Mistakes" thread; it's a powerful reservoir of accumulated wisdom from the GSR Hive Mind, and will save you untold misery and expense. It will also help you clarify your goals and preferences.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

If you decide it's not for you... then you can just ship one of them to me
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            If you decide it's not for you... then you can just ship one of them to me
            Wow, I was thinking the same thing. Those Lockhart Lowers are very worth having.

Comment

Yeah except the 550 is in Los Angeles. I'm in Los Angeles
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

It's a well-trodden path, and the help you need is here; start with the "Newbie Mistakes" thread before you order any parts.
                Fantastic thread...wish I read it sooner! First you mention to not try and rebuild the fuel petcock. Later in the thread someone mentions do not buy K&L rebuild kits. Well...the bikes did not have petcocks but did have a rebuild kit included so I bought a used petcock off ebay

It seems now would be the time to buy a new Suzuki petcock!

Wow, I was thinking the same thing. Those Lockhart Lowers are very worth having
                They will be probably put up for sale/trade soon to someone who will be a better steward for them. They are rare and it would be nice if they survived.

Yeah except the 550 is in Los Angeles. I'm in Los Angeles
                Right now we have four 944's that have to be restored so I think for him this is on the back burner and I do not think I will take on a third bike. If you have something interesting to trade terrific. He does not like sport bikes or going fast, would prefer some sort of cruiser.

I will probably get rid of the 750 or 700 - do not need two bikes that are pretty much the same. Will consider trade for atv, jetski, parts etc.

I will do a quick build in the build thread area. The two bikes are very similar but there are a couple of small differences beside the bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by BreakawayGS View Post
                  ... Later in the thread someone mentions do not buy K&L rebuild kits...
                  Yeah, I think K&L stands for "Krap & Lame". Their carb, brake, and petcock kits are bags of random bits. The one exception is that the float bowl gaskets are OK, but you can buy those separately much cheaper.

I really find this brand to be baffling because this stuff can be so dangerous, yet they've been in business and sold through shops that ought to know better for decades. Or maybe a bike that never manages to run is much safer. Not sure what their game is.

"Keyster" pops up now and again selling the same stuff with the same lack of quality or care. They may even be the same company; I've never figured this out.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                  X