Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you expect ev bikes to become practical road bikes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do you expect ev bikes to become practical road bikes.

I've been away from the forum for a while, a personal tragedy consumed my life I put aside my love of motorcycles for something more dear to me, my wife who passed away 3 weeks ago.

I see now my thread "How near are we to the end of ICE motorcycles?" is gone I have no idea why so I'll take the chance that it wasn't because I offended the forum moderator with a rules infraction.

It's been well established the end of ICEs will come in 2035 when manufacturers will cease ev production, a number will have switched Ev before then. Consumers demand may very well force the end before that date.

From what I recall when I last contributed to the thread there were doubters that the new solid state battery technology would be arriving before the end of the decade. Solid state will be the final nail in the ICE technology. Chinese auto manufacturer Nio will begin production late this year or early 24 with long range SS, 900-1000kms. Fast charge, low fire hazard, more energy in a small package. Toyota being more secretive in SS production appears to be heading toward a 2024-25 production of its' SS hybrids. I also recall someone responding that Tesla won't change SS Tesla will change or become irrelevant like Blackberry, evolve or die. Why would Tesla refuse a better battery to produce a better product, if they don't sales will go elsewhere.

How this pertains to motorcycles is important as consensus on this forum indicates we all love the torque of EVs the range for something other than city rides and commutes falls short of what we need. SS would go a long ways to changing this, offering 40% more energy/range in a similar size of battery. With an improvement of charging infrastructure the last hurdle to ev motorcycle takeover could disappear. Yeah I know there are diehards that'll never give up their beloved vintage noisy ICEs myself included but there are new generations of riders coming that don't care about museum pieces.​
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

I grew up a race car fan. Most of the excitement of watching races is the sound of power! You can feel the power. Go to an EV race and see how thrilling it is. Why do we put different exhausts on? Because it sounds good. I hope we never switch to only EV, they have no soul. I think hydrogen powered ICE should be the future, especially if you are worried about pollution.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
      II see now my thread "How near are we to the end of ICE motorcycles?" is gone I have no idea why so I'll take the chance that it wasn't because I offended the forum moderator with a rules infraction.
      Here it is: How near are we to the end of ICE motorcycles?

Originally posted by BreakawayGS View Post
      I grew up a race car fan. Most of the excitement of watching races is the sound of power! You can feel the power. Go to an EV race and see how thrilling it is. Why do we put different exhausts on? Because it sounds good. I hope we never switch to only EV, they have no soul. I think hydrogen powered ICE should be the future, especially if you are worried about pollution.
      Do deaf people enjoy racing? I think so....because it's not about how loud, racing is about how fast.

I don't care much about the noise, in fact I like my motor vehicles quiet. And fast! And that has EV written all over it.

Anywho....I hope I get a chance to get an EV motorbike before I move on. For sure my next car will be.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I believe the thread How near are we to the end of ICE motorcycles?​ was moved to the Vortex, since I can no longer view it.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I'm 55. I don't ever see them becomming practicle while I'm still alive. Read: I will never own one.
          Current:
          1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
          1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
          1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
          1998 Chevy C2500
          1999 Rav4

Comment

For me, batt. technology and cost are the main drawbacks. Batt. tech has come a long way within the past few yrs., but as the gain in batt. technology has got better, the price has got a lot higher also. For my GS1100E, lead acid $43 and lithium ion $128, and probably still not enough technology to get us to the point EV's will be reasonable...I'll just sit back and see what happens.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by unfocused View Post
              I'm 55. I don't ever see them becomming practicle while I'm still alive. Read: I will never own one.
              Well I am 67 and am planning on owning one soon....So tired of gas/oil/air cleaner/spark plugs/valve checks....and on, and on, and on.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by unfocused View Post
                Ditto, ditto and ditto.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I'm planning on getting one just not the kind you guys are talking about...... One with pedals. I've been researching them and joined a few Facebook groups to learn what to choose. The consensus among riders is to go Class 1 mid-drive. But I need to rent a few to see what my needs are as I'm finding myself rather weak lately so I may have to go Class 2 which has a throttle only mode. I don't want to do that but I expect a few rentals will decide it for me .....The one I want is a Gazelle but I need to rent one a few times to see if it will fill my needs as it is Class 1 ......
                  Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                  Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                  1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                    I see now my thread "How near are we to the end of ICE motorcycles?" is gone I have no idea why so I'll take the chance that it wasn't because I offended the forum moderator with a rules infraction.
                    Unfortunately your thread was converted to climate change by the usual retrograde forces and it was necessary to move it into Vortex. If anyone wants to get Vortex access to follow it let me know. If you already have access Bob's link above will take you there.

I welcome your restart of the subject here and will make a deliberate effort to see that it does not get likewise tainted.
                    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I personally am waiting for the prices to come down a bit more and the ranges to go up a bit more to buy an EV motorcycle or scooter. But it is definitely on my to-do list.

I recently went full solar for my home and I look forward to doing all or most of my local travel without gasoline or grid--just the sunshine that falls on my property.
                      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                      80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I think what people regard as "practical" is what makes answers differ - i think we are almost there, for some we are there already.

Had colleagues that only wanted a quick and cheap way to commute, less than 100 km one way.
                        Several bikes offer great solutions for that.

With 300-500 km range, several models offer enough for people that don't make long trips.
                        With recharge times for some bikes dropping to 15 minutes or less for a charge from 10 to 90%, i do not think that's a disadvantage anymore.

I am a petrol head.
                        I love to hear my bikes, feel them work, hum, grunt, scream ... love different bikes though.
                        Love my GT750 for the 2-stroke experience, the fourstrokes for their nature.

But i also test drove several EV's including a Zero and love the silence and torque.

I absolutely love the Lightning LS-218 and the new Strike models.
                        If i could afford it i would own an LS-218.

I remember my first experience on a tuned Rickman Kawasaki Z900 with big bore kit when i was 18.
                        Felt like the guy in the video on the Lightning LS-218, may never experience it again ... hope i will

Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                        Bikecliff's website
                        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

If Toyota's new battery pans out, it could really be a game changer. If half the range of what they car get out of that battery were put into a bike, it would make a motorcycle with incredible range. One other development was a law that was amended last week that in essence states: "Any recovery of precious minerals from recycling batteries in the U.S.shall be considered as minerals sourced from the United States". That made those huge piles of batteries become very expensive all of a sudden as companies are sprouting up everywhere to recycle them, no taxes on the minerals. .

Personally, I will never own one. I can't justify the price of a new I.C.E. vehicle let alone something that costs 1/4 of the price of a house, and I already own 3 motorcycles,, 3 cars, and one motorhome. No car payments, and got rid of all my Credit Card bills, so it's just the mortgage and taxes (and repairs on any and everything), which I can do most of.

I have 2 friends who went full Solar, but did so around 20 years ago. They may have done it too soon. I've read articles that state they have a life of 20 to 30 years, depending on a host of factors. Their panels are no longer producing enough electricity and they were disconnected from the grid. Now it turns out that they have to pay around $5K to have the panels "recycled', and no "Transfer Stations" will just let them throw them away. That does not include the cost of having them removed. They don't look to good either, so leaving them up could be an option, but they could have someone complain about them being an eye soar (my town sucks like that). The newer "box" type panels as opposed to the cloth sheet older ones look far more robust. I have had 3 companies come to my house, and they look at a picture from Google Maps, see all the trees, and cancel. I told each company that they picture is old, and the two Tornadoes that dropped onto my property removed every single tree. So not one company will even come and look. I also life on the western side of a hill, (I have the only flat property on that hill) and since the Sun doesn't crest to around 11:00 a.m., I think that disqualifies me too. Wind mills were zoned out. I always have a breeze too, as I live between too lakes and there is a Zephyr that always flows.

Toyota Battery Link: https://www.topspeed.com/toyotas-sol...-to-932-miles/

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

Well I am 67 and am planning on owning one soon....So tired of gas/oil/air cleaner/spark plugs/valve checks....and on, and on, and on.
                            I accept your point. However, I still enjoy asking people if they know how to adjust the points and I like the sound of exhaust echoing through my shed, rattling my brain :-)
                            Current:
                            1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
                            1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
                            1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
                            1998 Chevy C2500
                            1999 Rav4

Comment

If we're talking strictly consumer demand driven shift to EVs for the masses, they must meet a few requirements for that to happen. They must at minimum have equal range, equal charge time (to that of filling your tank with fuel) and equal initial/operational costs. Otherwise consumers as a whole won't adopt the technology as it doesn't make sense financially nor is it practical. Obviously there are government forces behind the shift to EV, but those aside, consumers will choose EV when EVs are advantageous. At this point in time, EVs are not practical for most folks. They're too expensive and your travel is limited. EVs aren't selling well and are piling up on dealer lots. One could argue it's because most are Luxury type EVs so are too expensive, but I think there's more at play than cost alone. https://www.axios.com/2023/07/10/uns...on-dealer-lots

I understand there are those who will buy EVs regardless because they like the new tech or whatever, but those few individuals don't drive the market as a whole.
                              - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                              - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Working...
                              X