Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you expect ev bikes to become practical road bikes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
    The reality, I believe, is that many different vehicles will be living side by side. New fuels coming on the market with virtually no pollution (look at what Porsche is doing), and until the costs come down, there will be many ICE vehicles just being repaired and being driven. Since I can fix all my cars, and taking my age into consideration, electric vehicles will not be anything I need to worry about owning. Far too expensive, with 3 cars, a motorhome, and 3 motorcycles. I'm set on vehicles till I expire. I have a 2014 Avalon with a V6. The car is was fast as a car as I need. I have a 2014 Subaru Forester, that easily will average 30 mph, and if I'm careful, 34 mph, tons of space inside. I have a 2005 Subaru Forester that I pull a small trailer with. The car does not burn oil, runs great, and has 240K miles on it. That car owes me nothing.

If somehow I purchased an E.V., I wouldn't live long enough to make back any gas savings, as I don't drive that much these days anyhow. I have no car payments, and that's a good feeling.
    I'm in a similar position I have two used Toyotas, Sienna and Tundra and Honda Civic, other than normal replacement of consumable parts nothing ever breaks and all three are paid for. My kids tell I should get rid of all and just buy a new EV. I could do that but a new EV with monthly payments and Insurance fees will likely be in excess of $1k per month. And there really isn't a EV that would meet my needs, a small dual cab pickup like a Tacoma or Ranger in size that does everything the other 3 do, until that vehicle arrives I'll keep my stable as it is. At my age it may never happen.

1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

There is a claimed technological breakthrough that been talked about for a couple weeks, Nobel Prize stuff if it proves to be true. A superconductor that operates at room temperature, Im not a physicist so the science is way beyond me but engineering people are talking about unlimited practically free power. Instant charging, Quantum computers in every home, batteries with unlimited life span, electrical transmission with no loss, if it holds up it'll revolutionize our world a 200yr advancement in technology. If true and its shared and not monopolized by the mega rich it could end poverty forever.

If I live another 20 years maybe I'll live to see it change our world. A thousand mile ev motorcycle with instant recharge, that would work for me.

But I also recall another claim a couple decades back about "cold fusion" which didn't hold up.

Comment

In my many decades, I've heard so many claims that claim "cheap energy", "help the poor", but nothing ever comes of it. If it has all been feasible but is being withheld for some reason, that could never make sense to me. I've studied and have made Hydrogen out of cracking water. Anyone could do that. Your cars battery does it every time you drive, that's what drains the electrolyte in motorcycle batteries. The plates become very dirty though after a while. There are units that people sell to "Boost your cars range", they draw one the amps your car is producing but not using, but it messes up you cars emissions sensors, they read a lean condition, and make the car run richer, any savings gone. Their are Black Boxes that you can add called "EFIE"" that monitors that and compensates by sending a signal to your cars emissions control, but in the end, the savings vs. the costs isn't worth it.

Hydrogen is not a fuel, it is an energy conveyance. It can be made for free using Solar Panels, Wind Mills or Hydrodynamic forces. If done properly, you can have a 98% efficiency rate in conveyance of that energy by combustion, or fuel cell, and your waste product is water and steam vapor. No pollution. That's why company's like Toyota and GM are looking towards Hydrogen and Toyota is building motors that actually burn the Hydrogen, and are ICE types. An ICE type would have no carbon, but would need something to lubricate the moving parts, so there could be pollution from some lubricant getting past the rings, but the oil would not receive any carbon blow back of any significant amount. There is a company in Connecticut running a fleet of propane powered cars. The guy pulled out the dipstick, the oil looked new. He said it had 28K miles on it, they changed it every 30K miles, as the viscosity seemed to get thinner. They sold the used for nearly nothing to their employees, who to put in their gasoline driven cars. The engine bay of that car was spotless.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
          There is a claimed technological breakthrough that been talked about for a couple weeks, Nobel Prize stuff if it proves to be true. A superconductor that operates at room temperature, Im not a physicist so the science is way beyond me but engineering people are talking about unlimited practically free power. Instant charging, Quantum computers in every home, batteries with unlimited life span, electrical transmission with no loss, if it holds up it'll revolutionize our world a 200yr advancement in technology. If true and its shared and not monopolized by the mega rich it could end poverty forever.

If I live another 20 years maybe I'll live to see it change our world. A thousand mile ev motorcycle with instant recharge, that would work for me.

But I also recall another claim a couple decades back about "cold fusion" which didn't hold up.
          Early days yet. Other teams around the world have tried duplicating the results with no real success, but it's maybe a matter of precision of process, which the inventors didn't go into a huge amount of detail about, as far as I know.
          Room Temp Superconduction has been the Holy Graily for more than 40 years, to my knowledge, and there have been a few false starts and even fraudulent claims along the way.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
            There is a company in Connecticut running a fleet of propane powered cars.
            30 years ago I worked in a lumber yard with a fleet of about a dozen forklifts that ran on propane. Re-upping was as easy as changing the tank on your backyard gas grill.

1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

In general, I'm not against EV's but for me, I'd want my EV (car that is) to give me a range of 400 miles and not more than 15 minutes to charge up to say, 75% of full charge...AND...be cost comparable to a similar ICE vehicle. As for motorcycles, being an exclusively vintage Japanese motorcycle(s) owner, when I can buy a vintage bike for $1,000-2,000 and put $1,000-2,000 of parts/labor into it and get several, perhaps many years of use/fun, there's no way the current offerings of electric motorcycle can compare in cost and proven reliability/longevity. I'm 61 and I hope to see several types of alternative power to reduce overall emissions and not produce carbon dioxide in my (remaining) lifetime. However, I don't see it happening for motorcycles given the cost of alternative fuel or electric power engine/systems.

Comment

At Sikorsky's there were 100's of fork lifts than ran on propane. I had never seen an electric one in there. The air purifiers and exchanging machines that supposedly changed the factories air every 29 seconds. It was actually windy in that shop. They also ran forever. You could tell they were the same ones by all the bumper stickers and other kinds of stickers that gave them each personality.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post

hook, line and sinker.
                  again
                  smh
                  1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

I will say, I think for a lot of people an EV bike is more practical than an EV car/truck. A lot of folks just use their bike for commuting and/or weekend rides to the bar or car show or just for a stroll. If you don't ride very far and come home every day you can get by on quite a few of the current offerings. But if you're a serious rider I don't think they cut it.
                    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

EV bikes, EV autos, or EV tractor trailers will probably get here. Just lets give them time to evolve into something that is practical. Just my opinion, we don't need to be forced into them before they are practical.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                        EV bikes, EV autos, or EV tractor trailers will probably get here. Just lets give them time to evolve into something that is practical. Just my opinion, we don't need to be forced into them before they are practical.
                        No one has been forced it'll happen because it's better and practical. EV's are just better in every way to ICEs choosing a new ICE over an EV just isn't a logical choice anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post

Early days yet. Other teams around the world have tried duplicating the results with no real success, but it's maybe a matter of precision of process, which the inventors didn't go into a huge amount of detail about, as far as I know.
                          Room Temp Superconduction has been the Holy Graily for more than 40 years, to my knowledge, and there have been a few false starts and even fraudulent claims along the way.
                          I read the researchers stumbled upon it about 10-12 yrs ago by accident, it took them a number of years to duplicate what they done. We'll see where it goes there will labs all over the world attempting to duplicate the results. If true it'll be a massive technological leap forward for humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by ptegsotic View Post

hook, line and sinker.
                            again
                            smh
                            You're implying fraud...and what would be the point of a deliberate fraud? There's no money to be made claiming a false breakthrough only academic embarrassment and potential careers destroyed.

Comment

I noticed something a lot of u here have in common, we're old, we're in our last years and we're really grumpy because of it.

Many of us we no longer need to worry about purchasing an EV our ICEs will last us to our last driving/riding days, when we'll switch to ev wheel chairs. The price we balk at now for ev's is the norm for many ICEs, we suffer from price shock because it's been so long since we purchased a new vehicle. Paying 50-100k for a new ICE is now routine, buying an EV at those prices is no different. Entry level ev's are coming with mass production and newer technology, I'm a little peeved I won't experience the new ev world.

In 10 years I'll rename this thread "Does anyone here still drive/ride an ICE". I'll still have my GS because in 10yrs time no one under 50 will be dumb enough buy an ICE.

Comment

Interesting wyly. Just sitting here and punched up these #'s. trying to figure this out. Per Google, Avg. price ICE auto $45K, avg. price EV. auto $61K... cost roughly $16K higher... avg. mi. per $100 in AL (just cause AL popped up first) ICE 1,060mi. vs EV 3.333mi. saying roughly every time drive 3,333K mi. save $200.... $16K extra price divided by the $200 saved every 3,333 mi. driven = 80, 80 X the 3,333mi. to save each $200 = at 266,640 mi. you will have saved the $16K you originally spent.... Did I do that right??? I think so... Also you said "nobody's been forced its better because it's better and practical" I see what you're say'in, but think of this. If the EV's will, and they probably will, be better and more practical, why has Cal. passed a bill making it illegal to sell new ICE autos after 2035? If the newer EV's have got better and more practical by then, why have a law? folks will just buy them because they are better and more practical... No doubt the EV's do just keep evolving and that's good... I keep wondering if, and they may already be, trying to come up with a better way to supply hydrogen for fueling our autos.... Guess we'll all sit back and see what happens....Different but kind'f related, you can look it up last night 9/7/23 a Nissan Leaf caught fire while attached to a charger at the Nissan North headquarters in Franklin TN. firefighters used 45,000 gal. of water for 5 hrs to get it put out.
                                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                                X