Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you expect ev bikes to become practical road bikes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's understandable, I guess. Wondering if there are any Aftermarket parts fpr Tesla's yet? seems it would be a pretty small mkt. for them. Now need to google why EV's seem to be in more crashes.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      That's understandable, I guess. Wondering if there are any Aftermarket parts fpr Tesla's yet? seems it would be a pretty small mkt. for them. Now need to google why EV's seem to be in more crashes.
      0-60 in 3 secs and stupid drivers.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

A fair assessment, but then, gasoline refueling isn't a home thing either (for 99.99% of people, anyway.)

What I can't foresee is a time when an electric motorcycle would be anything other than an appliance. A large part of the fun of a bike is the clutch and shifting, the sound, reving out the engine. Electric vehicles can be amazingly fast, but it's NOT the same experience.
        But we're old newer generations like my son don't have that attachment. I was never drawn to the noise of bikes I prefer quiet.
        1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post

But we're old newer generations like my son don't have that attachment. I was never drawn to the noise of bikes I prefer quiet.
          My kid drives a Tesla...and an MT07. Between the two, the MT holds his passion. He says the Tesla, which is fast as hell, is just a commuter vehicle. The MT is FUN! He's big into shifting, and the feel of the engine.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Chinese EV manufacturer Nio will be producing it's "semi" solid state battery powered cars in the 2nd quarter of this year with a claimed 1000km-621mile range. That should silence critics in regards to ev range, I personally don't know of any ICEs that can match that.

We need BYD and Nio to bring their cars to N America at price we can afford, no doubt government will add a generous amount of import tariffs to their product.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

My kid drives a Tesla...and an MT07. Between the two, the MT holds his passion. He says the Tesla, which is fast as hell, is just a commuter vehicle. The MT is FUN! He's big into shifting, and the feel of the engine.
              Most definitely different it's hard to explain to someone who has never ridden a fast bike what it feels like. The feeling of being pinned to your seat in a fast car is also a thrill, a car enthusiast doesn't understand the difference until they've done both. Bikes are simpler, a more primitive experience maybe closer to riding a horse.

I got quite the thrill driving my bros Porsche through the twisties, I never experienced something like that and it was exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                ...a claimed 1000km-621mile range. That should silence critics in regards to ev range, I personally don't know of any ICEs that can match that.
                First of all, "claimed" is rarely real. And second, it doesn't matter how long the range is if, when you get there, you have trouble finding a charging station.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

First of all, "claimed" is rarely real. And second, it doesn't matter how long the range is if, when you get there, you have trouble finding a charging station.
                  "claimed" is the ideal driving conditions this is typical of ICEs claims as well. My pickup has never met it's claimed range, doesn't come close to 15mpg hwy.

my commutes are about 20miles per day, 600 mile range is a long time between charges, top it up once every 2 weeks in my own garage and life is great. As it would be for 98% of the population.

The rare road trip to my home town is 300 miles with super chargers along the way. At my destination there are chargers or I can use a 110 plugin at my brothers over night or at any hotel. Charging isn't the issue its' made out to be with most people choosing to investing in home chargers. For my needs I don't even need that a simple 110 overnight will do.
                  Last edited by wyly; 03-08-2024, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

Every live electrical outlet in the country is a recharging station albeit a very slow one in the case of 110. Or most homes have one or more 240 outlets (stove, clothes dryer, etc.) that will charge much more rapidly if you have the appropriate adapter.

The point is that electricity is much more widely available than gasoline, You may have to wail a while but you are not going to be stranded anywhere that has lights. .

And after a 621 mile drive many folks probably wouldn't mind a few hours away from their car anyway. It is just a different paradigm than the one to which we are all accustomed, i.e.: "the way we have always done it." It can be less or more favorable depending on the situation.
                    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Working...
                    X