gs850g gear indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs850g gear indicator

My GS850G shows 1 2 3 4 on gear indicator but not 5 Is there anyway to get inside and would it just be a bulb thats gone or something more serious and dificult

Originally posted by dbd32 View Post
    My GS850G shows 1 2 3 4 on gear indicator but not 5 Is there anyway to get inside and would it just be a bulb thats gone or something more serious and dificult
    The first thing I would check is the gear position switch at the shifter. Sounds like it may not be making contact when in 5th gear. If it is like most that I have seen, there are brass contacts that may just need cleaning??
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

If you want to remove and clean it as Ron suggests, the gear selector sensor is above where the shift shaft goes into the side of the case. If you take it off, be careful not to lose the pin and spring on the back side of it. They really want to be free.

If the sensor and pin are clean, it’s possible that one of the 5 bulbs on the board inside your instrument cluster had burned out. You could swap bulbs around and test each gear position to see if it is the bulb. Maybe you’ll get lucky and just have a little corrosion cleanup to do.

Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Getting the "dashboard" apart is surprisingly straightforward.

As noted above, it's probably just a burned-out bulb. 5th gear is the one that's on the most, so it always burns out first.

Finding those damn weensy beensy ickle wickle teensy bulbs is less straightforward. They are available from Suzuki, but they want a lot of cash for them -- $5.22 each here in the states. There are various standard "grain of rice" bulbs out there, but I never found one that fit just right.

While you're in there, it's worth replacing all the instrument lighting bulbs (a standard size, easy to find... I forget exactly what, though. Maybe #158?).

If you remove the switch cover down below, make sure you replace the ancient glass-hard o-ring or it will leak.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Before opening the dash you could go to the plug at the gear switch tail. It's up above the airbox.
          Open the five wire plug and ground the red wire coming back from the dash.
          This should light up fifth if the bulb is okay.
          It could probably use a clean anyway.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks for the info guys

Comment

Working...
            X