what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
    Installed a new front MC assembly. Much better match to my clutch lever and less rattle than the old one.

Finally got my other tank spread enough to fit the frame, but the paint got mangled along the way. So I stripped it for a re-paint.
    Sucks that the paint got mangled! It was looking so good too...

I started on my paint polishing by hand, gave up and went to an old wool buff pad but didn't get much done because I wasted too much time...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Bought a new wire wheel yesterday and did some more old paint stripping on the wheels. I'll post up some pics tomorrow after I do some more work.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Finished rebuilding these...

Comment

I like the colour on those carbs!

As for me, just got done hooking my new battery up and getting all my grounds and things sorted.

Turns out I have 0.01v loss between the battery and the coil plugs... but to be fair the Dyna coils aren't plugged in yet... still a damn good result I reckon considering there's no relay mod involved and it's straight stock harness cleaned up with some minor mods by me...

sigpic

Comment

I started dismantling a wrecked '07 GSXR 1000 for my brother-in-law. It needs a swing arm, wheel, bodywork, and a few other things. The thing starts up and runs just fine, so it's roadworthiness should be OK.

Comment

Did some polishing on my 83 1100g, gonna take her for a spin shortly

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                Sucks that the paint got mangled! It was looking so good too...

I started on my paint polishing by hand, gave up and went to an old wool buff pad but didn't get much done because I wasted too much time...
                The tank in my sig pic is still good. The mangled paint is on another tank, so it's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                  The tank in my sig pic is still good. The mangled paint is on another tank, so it's all good.
                  Aaah cool, forgot this was your second one! Explains why you're spreading it to fit

sigpic

Comment

I wrench on this, when I'm not operating it....

11,250hp centrifugal compressor, GEC, circa late 1950's.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger P. View Post

Compressor!? Guess you'd have no troubles spray painting with that one...

As for me, I *nearly* have my seat foam ready to glue together for final shaping...

sigpic

Comment

No wrenching involved, but last night I helped recycled64 install a headlight bucket on one of his 650s.

He was a little apprehensive about the tangled mess of wiring that had to be re-arranged, we sorted it out in the process.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

11,250hp ! Here I though our 75 and 100 HP ones at work were big!!!
                          Any other specs on that bad boy? CFM, Hours, etc?

Comment

32,000cfm, 330psig discharge pressure. 680A @ 7200VAC. Pulls 1000A at start-up through an autotransformer reduced voltage start. Sometimes a few lights go out in the plant when I throw the switch.

1000gal lube oil.

200GPM oil pump.

1200 rpm synchronous motor (weighs 30tons and has its own liquid cooling system). Power goes through the first 11,000hp planetary gearbox to spin the first 7 stages (in the blue section) @ 4500rpm. This feeds into a second 3600 hp planetary gearbox which spins the last 3 stages at 10,000rpm. This section is uncooled, and as you can see by the paint, gets rather hot (approximately 400F discharge temperature). I had to pull one of the main bearings a few weeks ago to get it trued at our machine shop. It was an 11" diameter Babbitt bearing which had gone out of round. The big square boxes have 5 heat exchangers in them each (20 total). I had one off last week. Each is 10 tons.

And like any good British machine, the fasteners are a mix of Whitworth, BSF, and BSP. Ask me how much I hate trying to find which wrench is the correct one. Most are labeled in both BSW and BSF, just to be extra confusing. It's very well built and has proven itself over 50 years though. It's also a marvel for ease of maintenance. I can have the main gearbox out in half a day, and one of the cooler boxes off before morning coffee.
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-04-2011, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Roger, I think this thread should be closed and another started for those who wish to post on this subject. Nothing any of us can post even belongs in this thread after yours.

I was going to post about spending several hours removing the front & rear axles from a friend's ancient Honda ATC. Why, of why won't people remove the axles and brake drums from this stuff and coat the spines and axles with waterproof grease?????

I had to cut the drum around the center hub, remove that then use my air chisel to split the hub into three pieces before it would come off the axle. The bearing retainer bolts just spun because the weld nuts were torn loose from the retainer, joy oh, joy?

It took a 12 pound hammer with blocking to remove the front axle and even then it had to be cut. Same cause, no grease and decade of water...

See what I mean about my post? It sounds like baby stuff....

I have a Third Class Power Engineering Certificate so got to play around with big stuff like that but never an air compressor that big. I guess when the earth stops and the air all flies off into outer space, we can phone you to pump the earth up again?

Great posts, we immature "little boy types" are in terminal envy. Tim Taylor was right!

Norm

Comment

And like any good British machine, the fasteners are a mix of Whitworth, BSF, and BSP. Ask me how much I hate trying to find which wrench is the correct one. Most are labeled in both BSW and BSF, just to be extra confusing. .
                                I'm glad it's not just me.
                                79 GS1000S
                                79 GS1000S (another one)
                                80 GSX750
                                80 GS550
                                80 CB650 cafe racer
                                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                                X