No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fork springs are a goer so they are now fitted and the front end is complete. Front end work done over the last couple of weeks: new wheel bearings, replaced front brake discs, rebuilt/modified anti-dive units to deactivate them and improve brake feel and stiffen the front end. Flushed out the front brake system. Fork inner tubes re-chromed, new custom made heavier gauge fork springs fitted, replaced the fork damper rod assembly and the friction slides, new fork seals and oil. Flushed out the throttle and clutch cable and re-lubed them, cleaned the throttle hand grip tube and clip-on and re-lubed. Throttle is now super smooth and slams shut when released. Carbie linkages,springs and rods lubed.

Now if it will only stop raining which is causing local road closures due to flooding, I want to get out and test the new set-up!

Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 01-25-2012, 02:48 AM.
    Shin-Ken 1074
    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Real Nice !!!

Comment

Just a little work on a set of VM26s.....I will snap a few better ones of the carb bodies from outside in natural lighting. They actually are a nice shiney silver.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-25-2012, 03:17 AM.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks downsy, I just hope the roads are open and its a dry day for the 5th, cheers mate.
          Shin-Ken 1074
          1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
            The fork springs are a goer so they are now fitted and the front end is complete. Front end work done over the last couple of weeks: new wheel bearings, replaced front brake discs, rebuilt/modified anti-dive units to deactivate them and improve brake feel and stiffen the front end. Flushed out the front brake system. Fork inner tubes re-chromed, new custom made heavier gauge fork springs fitted, replaced the fork damper rod assembly and the friction slides, new fork seals and oil. Flushed out the throttle and clutch cable and re-lubed them, cleaned the throttle hand grip tube and clip-on and re-lubed. Throttle is now super smooth and slams shut when released. Carbie linkages,springs and rods lubed.

Now if it will only stop raining which is causing local road closures due to flooding, I want to get out and test the new set-up!

Good news Glen! Glad you got her together again ready to roll... but yeah pity about the weather! They reckon the rain and showers will ease a bit tomorrow before coming in again Friday/Saturday, so hopefully you'll get able to get her out for at least a short run.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            Just a little work on a set of VM26s.....I will snap a few better ones of the carb bodies from outside in natural lighting. They actually are a nice shiney silver.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/002bzo.jpg/
            They look pretty good Chuck, but I'm so glad I only have two carbs... there's far too many parts there for my liking!

Thanks downsy, I just hope the roads are open and its a dry day for the 5th, cheers mate.
            +1... I really hope all is good as I'm really looking forward to this run. Mind you I did put dual sports on the 450
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

And I got the 1000km service completed on the 450 tonight with the exception of a compression test. Don't think my wife will be real impressed with cranking her over at 10:30pm...

All is good, and the dodgy Athena valve cover gasket is now in the bin in favour of a genuine one.

Now to get a break in the weather for a test run like yourself Glen!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                And I got the 1000km service completed on the 450 tonight with the exception of a compression test. Don't think my wife will be real impressed with cranking her over at 10:30pm...

All is good, and the dodgy Athena valve cover gasket is now in the bin in favour of a genuine one.

Now to get a break in the weather for a test run like yourself Glen!
                Come on Pete a 10:30 pm compression test should be fine, baw ha ha ha. Yeah, maybe it was a good call to wait out for that one. Sounds like you are just about good to go for the 5th so lets hope the weather lifts by the next week and everyone can make it for the run, cheers.
                Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Come on Pete a 10:30 pm compression test should be fine, baw ha ha ha. Yeah, maybe it was a good call to wait out for that one. Sounds like you are just about good to go for the 5th so lets hope the weather lifts by the next week and everyone can make it for the run, cheers.
                  Hahahaha yeah that'd go down like a lead balloon!

Bit of sun today by the looks so we should both be able to get out for a test run

Providing all is good after the test run and I'm not spewing oil somewhere I'm all good to go for the 5th

I wonder how Leigh, Simon, and Vossy are getting on down at the Island today?

sigpic

Comment

Put the forks back together this afternoon
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

My project of the week was cleaning up and zeroing() one of my spare instrument sets. I don't think I'll do that again. Just too much trouble.

Comment

Managed to have a quick blat to see how the new front end is performing, WOW! I had to check to see if it was my bike I was riding, the improvement in braking and handling is amazing! No more spongy brake lever feel with the anti-dive now by-passed, the new heavy gauge fork springs have eliminated the excessive fork compression it suffered with the old tired springs. Cornering is now crisp and sweet and the braking is firm with plenty of feedback and pulls up dead straight. The fork spring pre-load cap is on the 2nd softest setting for now and its doing pretty good so far. Some fine tuning with oil weight and pre-load setting should have it perfect soon, cheers.
                        Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Managed to have a quick blat to see how the new front end is performing, WOW! I had to check to see if it was my bike I was riding, the improvement in braking and handling is amazing! No more spongy brake lever feel with the anti-dive now by-passed, the new heavy gauge fork springs have eliminated the excessive fork compression it suffered with the old tired springs. Cornering is now crisp and sweet and the braking is firm with plenty of feedback and pulls up dead straight. The fork spring pre-load cap is on the 2nd softest setting for now and its doing pretty good so far. Some fine tuning with oil weight and pre-load setting should have it perfect soon, cheers.
                          Awesome Glen, glad to hear you had a win!

I also got out for a quick one today and got to do my newly found test route of 36km and so far no oil leaking out the valve cover

Tacho is much improved with the new cable but not perfect... I think an Acewell is in my future...

sigpic

Comment

So Pete, where does your 36km Test Route take you?
                            Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

So Pete, where does your 36km Test Route take you?
                              That takes me on a bit of Bunya Rd, Jinker Track, Old Northern Rd, Everton Crossing Rd, back down Bunya Rd, then back home... a nice little suburban run with some fun corners and a potentially flooded little wooden bridge and weir to boot It was very close the other day...

sigpic

Comment

Hi Pete, yeah a nice set of roads for a ride. I am hoping B.O.M. has it together and in a pile for next week. They have forecast the rain to lift by next Friday so with a few "positive waves" and some luck maybe our Sunday can be salvaged.
                                Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Working...
                                X