No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the service done today. Oil and filter change, check valve clearances and spark plug gaps (all ok), replace clutch cable, drain the breather catch tank, replace the breather cover gasket, and put the new to me SH530-12K R/R on.

The only thing I haven't checked yet is the clutch adjustment after the cable swap but I'll sort that out tomorrow.

In the meantime, here's why not to use dodgy after market gaskets:

Ugh!

A quick degrease and a new genuine gasket:

Hopefully that's the last of the oil weeping anywhere...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

New front brake light switch installed. Then I went riding.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
        Got the service done today. Oil and filter change, check valve clearances and spark plug gaps (all ok), replace clutch cable, drain the breather catch tank, replace the breather cover gasket, and put the new to me SH530-12K R/R on.

The only thing I haven't checked yet is the clutch adjustment after the cable swap but I'll sort that out tomorrow.

In the meantime, here's why not to use dodgy after market gaskets:

Ugh!

A quick degrease and a new genuine gasket:

Hopefully that's the last of the oil weeping anywhere...

Wow, Pete! What mess. Will avoid "dodgy aftermarket gaskets" if I can avoid that.

Comment

And hit it w/ a sharpie so it doesnt look goofy.

Comment

Originally posted by redstedman View Post
            And hit it w/ a sharpie so it doesnt look goofy.
            I don't know. I prefer the look of a new gasket peaking out from under a part or two.

Comment

Yesterday I got the oil changed, put a new rattle can paint job on the tank and tail fairing (Ford "Cayman green"), got the headers painted and then later wrapped in black (actually it looks dark gray) fabric wrap, dug out the old exhaust gaskets and installed new ones, plus mounted the headers and new chrome side-cut slip-on with some studs. The rattle job isn't the greatest, but it looks good from 10' or so and is still an improvement on what it did look like. Oh, and that crap Vetter fairing thing is gone!

Still need to get the carbs dipped, rejetted, and new o rings installed. Also have a Compufire to put on and a new Rick's stator. Should have a decent baseline from that point. Not being able to ride is beginning to drive me nuts!!

Comment

Reinstalled rebuilt 'Fox Factory Shox' (by Evolution Suspension, San Jose)
                Cranked out the coil relay mod (see photo)
                Before this, there was a slight stumble under acceleration 4-5k rpm
                So first I raised all needles one notch ie lowered circlip one notch (from middle position) ... not good.
                Then I lowered needles two positions (one above middle position) ... better but still a definite stumble.
                So went back to middle position ... and with the coils now losing only 0.2-0.3 volts (vs the 2 volts before mod!) it sure is running great, but it's not perfect under acceleration. (And there's quite a violent deceleration when you let off, fwiw). This is beyond me. (135 mains) Guess I'll read about the plug chop method and see if I can get closer.

Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2012, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Not bike related, but yesterday I went outside to put new pads on the rear of our Armada. I had done the fronts a couple of weeks ago and at the time saw the rear were getting near the squealers so I decided it was time for them too. The wheel I started with was one that had been removed and put back on by a tire shop. I had to really bear down on the lug wrench to break them loose. I got to the locking nut and not only the the key break but so did the nut. I ran to Northern Tools to see if they had the emergency removers and they didn't. I ran to Sears because they showed a two piece set for about $15 which they didn't have. So I came home and picked up the vehicle and off to a tire shop I went. 10 minutes later and $20 and they were all off so I wouldn't have to buy a new key and one nut. I got a new set of locking nuts and the old nuts removed for less than the factory stuff that failed would have cost.

Comment

Originally posted by oldrookie View Post
                    Wow, Pete! What mess. Will avoid "dodgy aftermarket gaskets" if I can avoid that.
                    Yep, only a bit over 6000km's on the gasket and it was already brittle.

The genuine ones appear to be sort of soft I guess, maybe even a little porous maybe... so when they go in they actually get moist with oil and then seal.

This Athena one was more like rubber and it just never sealed, always weeped... same happened with the valve cover gasket which I replaced after 1000km's before realising the breather cover gasket was just as bad.

So far this week to work and back she's all oil tight and no new weeps... I like it

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                    I don't know. I prefer the look of a new gasket peaking out from under a part or two.
                    Must agree Dave, I haven't even trimmed the gasket around the right side cover that pokes out about 1mm all the way 'round... I sorta like seeing them so I know if they look perished or not...
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I removed the engine in the RF900 and will start taking it apart today. Going to be replacing the transmission.

Comment

Going green ~

Comment

Speaking of going green... I helped my friend do some work on his '08 Kawasaki ZX6R last night...

I get a call asking for advice on how to remove a broken SPARK PLUG . So I hopped on my GS, and headed down to his place to see what I could do. I've had experience with broken bolts on the GS before, so I had a fairly good idea of what had to be done.

First of all, I have NO IDEA how he sheared a NEW spark plug going in, but he did. And unlike the GS, where everything is right in front of you, and lovely to work on, the ZX6R plugs are sunk in a good 6 inches into the engine, and accessed through a tube no more than an inch across. In fact, to even get to the plugs, you have to remove the seat, tank, airbox (which requires special tools), and the coil sticks (which fit over the spark plugs). It''s an outrageous job for something so simple.

So with very little room to work around I investigate the problem. Sure enough the plug had sheared right at the top of the threads. There was about 3/4 inch of threads still in the engine buried WAYY down there. We tried everything we could think of, but nothing could grip the plug and spin it out. We simply did not have the tools. After about two hours, we finally threw in the towel, and he is gonna have to take it to the shop and have them try.

Ideally we need a tool having three thin rods, that have a 90 degree turn at the bottom, and a pointed end. These need to have a way to expand around a center rod, and bit into the plug, gripping it by the inside, and backing it out. However we did not have such a tool, and no way to make one. Hopefully the shop does.

Holy Crap.

On the plus side I have a new found appreciation for how easy out GS's are to work on, and it was a good excuse to go for a ride and treat my 850 to the nice crisp cold air that it loves so much.

EDIT: Anyone have any ideas on how to get the plug out in a crappy situation like this?

Comment

Not really wrenched on anything per say, but I did remove a 3 inch long bolt from my rear tyre, which caused it to go flat on the way into work this morning. drove out to where I left it this morning and put two plugs into the hole so I can get home tonight.

Sorry Stan, your GK is going to have to wait until I can get back at it again; I've a tire to remove tonight.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Trying to envision the shape of the remaining plug, but wouldn't a larger lefty bit be enough to grip the inside of the plug remains and turn it out? I once had a brass intake vacuum port tube break like this, but could back it out by hand with a suitably sized lefty bit.

Comment

I cleaned up my new wire harness (Thanks Witttom!) and prepped it and the bike for new wires and coils. Also mapped out the different connectors and tagged them.

[

The harness was only a bit grimy, but the connectors cleaned up easily. For some reason there were a bunch of slice connectors on the wires for the gauges, lights etc. up front. No idea why.

Also, the new harness is designed for a fuse block, so decided to pick one up and upgrade from the "One Fuse to Rule Them All, and in the Darkness Bind Them" system of 1978. I'll also dump that stupid stator leg and run it to the R/R like God intended.

Comment

Working...
                                X