No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced both fork seals on my 1100. Installed a new OEM Suzuki valve cover gasket. Now I have to find the slow leak in my new front tire and order new pads to replace the fork oil soaked ones I took out. One set of pads are worn a lot more than the other, so it looks like a brake freshening is also in the works. Then it's a good washing and an engine shampoo and a long sit and think about whether I keep it or sell it on. Then I have to order new tires for the Bandit and get a safety inspection. It never ends.

Comment

worked on my 81 gs1000g, cleaned up the frame and cleaned up rust off some misc parts and tryed to hunt down parts i need

Comment

Too much

Converting stock GS1100 to 1166 pro-lites, reworking GS750 with NOS.
        Tirrrrred

Comment

New Extreme Racing fork seals (blended 10W & 20W Bel Ray fork oil...feels much better than the straight #10 ) replaced factory OEM brake pads with EBC kevlar, installed NOS Marzocchi piggyback shocks on the rear....life is good!
          '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
          Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Took apart my front master cylinder to figure out why it's not pumping fluid after rebuilding. Installed the top end oiler I received in the mail today! Looks great, install was terribly easy. Pics tomorrow, when I have sunlight.

Comment

I put a couple of bikes together for a guy at work. An 86 GS450 and 80 Honda CM200.
              He's been eating brake pads on the Zook and leaking oil from the rpm gear. I rebuilt the front caliper and he helped me bleed the brakes. This was fun since he hardly speaks english.
              Then I put the seal and o-ring on the tach gear.
              I took it for a ride and it had a weird sound from the rear. I got off of it and the swing arm had alot of play it. I checked the chain and it was super loose. Took a look at the wheel adjusters and both were on the wrong way. I asked him who put the rear rim on last and he said I did. BS
              The rear rim was on cockeyed, ruined the chain and loosened the swing arm. Pulled the axle and fixed the line-up issue. The chain is toast and I told him to buy a new one. Tightened the swingarm and sent him on his way.
              I told him not to work on his bike because he has a death wish. Not sure he got the message.
              Last edited by chef1366; 05-25-2010, 01:04 AM.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Cdnoel and I worked on fixing a carburetor float post and put my petcock back together. Hopefully I will get the new plug caps on Wednesday as well as a battery and get the carbs back together so the bike will start. I just can't ride it until I get new tires (back is shot) and the brakes done.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Worked on a Suzuki...of sorts.

This past weekend I was planning on working on my bike, but someone dropped by with some other work for me to do.

I ended up spending the weekend cutting rusted metal out of a 1995 Suzuki...Sidekick.

The passenger side needed a new rocker panel, the uni-body is in drastic need of repair, and the floorpan rotted out leaving only load-bearing carpet!

I asked the owner who did the previous repair work, and it ends up it was a local guy who has his own shop. He charged him $1200 to weld in new metal 2 years ago, and instead just used roofing tar to glue loose sheet metal in place. This is the second time I have worked on a vehicle done by the local guy, and both vehicles were done the same, and the owners were both charged for welding in new panels. I suggested that the owner go have a chat with the local guy, and handed him a piece of the loose sheet with tar all over it to take with him.

So I ended up cutting new pieces from sheet steel, and bending and folding up some new rocker pieces, uni-body repair pieces, door jam repair pieces, floorboard pieces, rear wheel arch, and a rear corner piece.

I managed to get the door jam all welded in, as well as the front foot well piece. I started tacking in the floor pan piece and ran out of wire. Darn.
                  It was getting late, so I packed up for the night.

I picked up some MIG wire this morning to replace the backup spool I have in the welder, so I will be attacking it again tonight, and hopefully have it all ready for fiberglass if all goes well.

All in all, a pretty busy weekend, with great warm weather to do it in, and I have the sunburn to prove it. Youch!
                  Maybe I should have just gone camping instead.

Comment

Finaly got some acceptible clearances on the valves (just barely, on cyl 3 exhuast, .002 after going down .1 from the original shim for that valve)
                    Started to button it up and , you guessed it wrong d*mn gaskets!
                    Now I have to wait for the right ones to arrive.
                    Sorta wish I'd just ordered the Real Gaskets, now I've had the joy of cleaning all that gasket surface, only to have the wrong dang ones

Comment

Lets see.. 99 suburban needs a fuel pump and possibly the CPI injector assembly replaced...90 Volvo needs rear coils and shocks, front struts,strut mounts, coil springs, ball joints, and all new bushings, tranny and engine mounts..97 Marquis need front brake pads, oil change, spark plugs and wires... 80 GS750 needs carbs synced...82 KZ750 needs to be finished...

Jeez no wonder I have no time to ride lately

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                        Lets see.. 99 suburban needs a fuel pump...
                        And that's a costly piece...I've still got the original in my '99 Suburban and I hope it lasts a lot longer.
                        Plus, it needs a new intake manifold gasket...been leaking anti-freeze for months...I just keep putting it off.
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

changed a injector in a S60 Detroit diesel at work, 14L inline six, 500hp.
                          electro mechanical injector that the electro part had failed.

view of top of engine with valve cover off, that is "Jake" engine brake assembly on top of valve/ injector rockers.

engine brake actuator and rocker shaft removed exposing injector (in middle of valves.

bad injector removed from engine, that is a quarter dollar sitting on it for scale.

Comment

working on de-rusting the fuel tank on a 78 goldwing gl1000. Been using the electrolysis method as to avoid removing the tank (major pita) Hopefully one more treatment and it will be clean, its looking good just still has some small rust spots.

Then starting cleanup on my 80 gs1000gl. Polishing the aluminum side covers on the stator and behind the shifter lever. Girlfriend polished up all the chrome and got all the surface rust off of all of it yesterday Now just generally cleaning dust off of everyting and pulled out the battery box and side piece that everything mounts to in order to give it a fresh coat of paint.
                            ---Eric

Comment

Plus, it needs a new intake manifold gasket...been leaking anti-freeze for months...
                              Mine does the same thing, I think GM used defective intake manifold gaskets. Mine is leaking in the front of the engine. Very slow leak but still need to be fixed. I think I'm going to use a Felpro gasket set instead of the stealership brand.

Comment

Intek 17.5 (briggs and stratton) mower engine.
                                I was getting oil blow-by into carb. Checked/cleaned crank breather. Still blowing by. Decided to check head gasket.

Yup:

Gasket was leaking at the dark spot in pic 2.

Got things cleaned up,mated up, torqued head bolts and reset valve clearance. Viola! No more smoke. About 2.5 hrs total. Now I will wait about 10 hrs. run time and re-torque head bolts.
                                It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance. - Thomas Huxley

Comment

Working...
                                X