No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new tires! Pirelli Scorpion Trails....they better be good. Cost a fortune.

Comment

Wow that thread pattern is crazy. Today I just spent some time scraping old gaskets off with a razor. I replaced the shift forks too.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        No wrenching, just spit polished the Cooley Clone for the 5 month hibernation.

great looking bike, I have a summer picture as a desktop picture

Comment

Bump started a '73 Honda atc70 to life for the kids to spin dizzying circles on the snow and ice. Amazing little bike and with nearly 40 years of abuse.
          Hondas
          '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
          Suzuki
          '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
          Kaw
          '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
            new tires! Pirelli Scorpion Trails....they better be good. Cost a fortune.

I reckon you'll like 'em!

Got a Trail on the front of my 450 and to me it feels awesome, plenty of grip rain or shine. I won't claim to be an all around experienced guy with lots of different rubber but for my use it's great.

I had to put a MT90A/T on the rear though which is 70/30 road/trail but it seems to work well with the Trail on the front and the limit of the bike is my toes which touch first before anything else...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I started to take apart the dash to the Jeep yesterday then realized after rereading the service guide Rustybronco sent me that I still didn't know how to discharge the AC nor did I have the deep well sockets I'll need for a couple bolts. Found a place in town that will discharge it, let me do the work, and then refill it for about a 100 but they were closing for the day already. Since that also will take up the budget I have for the heater core repairs, I will hold off until my retirement check comes in next week to do everything and went to buy a new tool box (something else I needed as my garage is a perpetual mess) and the sockets.

Need to go put the battery back in so I can run the Jeep down there next weekend.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Pete...Thanks for that review. I did a lot of puzzling about tires ...Mostly the "easy" gravel roads are all I want to get up and down for now, so what you say makes me feel pretty good about it. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                  Wow that thread pattern is crazy. Today I just spent some time scraping old gaskets off with a razor. I replaced the shift forks too.
                  It IS weird isn't it....but looking at it awhile, I can see the symmetry of it and at some speed I can almost understand how it's supposed to work...ie: presenting a new pattern to a bit of dirt road and hard gravel? because a closely- patterned tire is just going to quickly try the same thing over and over when the tire slips.
                  I just made that up now so don't quote me...

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                    Pete...Thanks for that review. I did a lot of puzzling about tires ...Mostly the "easy" gravel roads are all I want to get up and down for now, so what you say makes me feel pretty good about it. Thanks.
                    No worries... I must be nearing 9000km's on mine now and there's still plenty of meat left too. I killed the centre of the MT90A/T rear in about 8000km's dure to commuting but the front doesn't have that issue.

I wouldn't call myself an aggressive rider but I do like my corners

sigpic

Comment

I picked up this 1100 swingarm for $20. I'll put it on my bike eventually, I have an almost new chain and eye to eye Hagons that won't fit this .

The woman I bought it from is parting out the 1100, if you need engine/carb/exhaust stuff she may have it.

Comment

I put new pads in the wife's 96 Nissan pick up.One side was toast the other was 1/2 done.Took the slider piece off to relube it and when reassembled it would not stay bottomed out so I dug out all the old grease and put just a bit back in.Guessing I might have found the problem.Looked at Yeller and the Skunk to just for you GS purists
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2012, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Well, dunno if I'd call it wrenching as such... but after sitting for three weeks at Tranzac getting the exhaust repaired and before that not having a wash since the rain/hail ride and accident, she was decidedly filthy and there were some fuel marks on the tank where it must have spilled a bit while on her side.

Anyway, a good wash followed by a cut, polish, and wax returned her to how she should be except for the scratches on the front guard I need to touch up and the left hand guard which still needs replacing:

sigpic

Comment

Rear Shock

I replaced my rear shock hoping to get rid of a horrible squeck on my "new" 1983 GS550L. After replacing the shock the squeck was still the same. Damn. I turned each bolt on the suspension a half a turn and presto the squeck was gone. I could have stopped the squeck without disassenbling half the bike. Lucky the shock I bought was used off ebay for $15, or I would really be ****ed.

Comment

The PO had dropped the bike on the left side a couple of times. Bent the headlight bracket and it had started to crack.

Bought some GS550 brackets off Ebay and finally got them installed today. Lowers the turn signals about an inch, maybe inch and a half, but it looks much better.

Comment

Originally posted by oldrookie View Post
                                The PO had dropped the bike on the left side a couple of times. Bent the headlight bracket and it had started to crack.

Bought some GS550 brackets off Ebay and finally got them installed today. Lowers the turn signals about an inch, maybe inch and a half, but it looks much better.
                                Nice one, but no before/after pic's? Slack

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X