No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the mounting of my Maier faring all sorted out. Didn't use the handlebar mounts that came with it. I used a 4 -point fork mounting system. Got the brackets I made painted black yesterday and am waiting on them to completely dry. The fairing is all painted up to match the bike. Can't wait to get it mounted. Pics to follow in a couple days or so.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Finally began digging into the ol' girl after a week of ownership and nothing getting done. I haven't even been out to ride her yet and I'm tearing her guts out. Tore out the air box, cleaned the covers and the inside of it, weather stripped and resealed it too. Ripped the carbs off to get ready for breakdown and cleaning. I might even polish and paint while they are off.

Sadly however, the screws that fasten the carb boots to the head are so old and brittle that 7 of 8 of them stripped! Tried to cut new slots with the dremel, but even that just crumbles like play-doh. I need to order the stuff to rebuild my carbs yet, so it's not stopping anything at the moment, but it sure is infuriating.

Overall though, progress is being made and I am happy about that.

Comment

Kept bending up the rods to make my duck tail framework, only about 3 bits to go I reckon before I need to learn how to weld...

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by kirkn View Post
          Lapped in 12 valves in my '85 700E. Put the head back on after only a year since I pulled it off.

Next go the cams, then rebuild the carbs, then....
          Got the cams in and timing set. Refurbished the automatic tensioner and got it back in.

Gotta check valve clearances, then button the valve cover back up.

Comment

I had I fight with my drive sprocket.

Using a 32mm 1/2" drive with a breaker bar and a 3' pipe.
            First the piece of oak I used to wedge the wheel split in two like it wasn't even there. Then The 1/2 breaker decided to snap I wonder how much torque that required ???

I ended up going to my neighbors and borrowing his electric impact gun ....... damn nut came off in 3 seconds!
            82 GS1100E
            five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
            Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Nothing!!

Thats right, after three weeks of stripping polishing and painting, I took one night off away from my girl. (actually went out with a real one too) I needed a break, but will be eager to get back on the project tomorrow after work. Have a rolling chassis again, not sure if engine cleaning and painting or wiring harness repairs will be next. Thanks all.

Comment

Finished the bending and started trimming to size, but now comes the difficult bit... learning to weld!

sigpic

Comment

Started fiddling with my newly arrived dash and getting to know the wiring better.

Comment

I have been meaning to post in this thread since its inception but not alot was getting done. The farm takes care of summer so most wrenching is done in winter months. I had plans for my 81 cb750 which other than a rigged up 4 into 2 was stock. The plan was pipe, pods, dyno jet and different handle bars. Z1 is my friend and they had everything i needed plus a valve holder tool to fix valve clearences (will this tool work on a GS 1100?) the parts arrived and during the winter i put it all together and it started and idled. I was happy until i read on a honda board that pods don't work on the stock carbs (not mikuni).
                    People there like people here know alot more than i do. off came the carbs and back to stock with a little help from JB. Spring arrived and i rode it to my local mechanic buddy who installed steering head bearings, progressive fork springs, and emulators. i managed to install the progressive shocks
                    Now i have spent more on the bike than i paid for it and still had a set of k&n pods not being used. The dyno is gonna get used if i ever get around to installing the stage 1.
                    One sunday afternoon a buddy helped me roll out the kat to see if it would start. It hadn't ran in over a year and i hadn't rode it for 2 and a half years. we got it to fire but #3 carb was leaking gas. I imagine it was a stuck float needle and probably could have been fixed by tapping with a screwdriver but there was those pods so i took the carbs off. I had forgotten what a pain that is.
                    The pods fit the carbs so i went ahead and ordered a dyno kit. Finished installing the dyno on friday and got it all back on the bike. The old beast fired right up so i put the trickle charger on it. Yesterday i aired up the tires and took it for a test drive. I didn't do a plug chop but it ran great. No problems at all through all the rpm range. The katana is such a cool bike but so uncomfortable. The ten or so miles i put on reminded me why i bought the concours14.
                    Not to be left out of the wrenching story i put a trunk and a throttlemeister cruise control on the connie.
                    sorry for the long post and no pics. They are on the camera but i can't find the cord to connect to the cpu.

Comment

Put 3 sets of EBC Kevlar brake pads on. General caliper cleaning. Flushed the master cylinders with fresh brake fluid. Now in the process of swapping out the defective rear Avon Road Rider.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

The pics

the honda

the kat pods

the concours

and one more of the kat since its GS

Comment

1100gk

Last night I changed gear oil in final drive (rear wheel) and the primary drive (shaft front/engine rear).

And now this morning I notice that the sidestand operates much easier and smoother.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Last night in the kitchen I baked some fresh homemade chocolate chip calipers! lol I am single right now, so the oven is fair game. If I wanna be a cave man, I will.

Comment

Today was the 1st day of working on the bike. Took the seat, tank air box and carb's off. Going to work on the carb's tomorrow and then check everything else over. Just got the bike and the last owner had it sitting for about 5 to 6 years so need to get the fluids changed. Then it's see if it starts

Comment

I did some learn how to stick weld stuff yesterday and did the first tack on my duck tail, but the pic's are far too embarrassing to put in this thread

I'm a crappy welder, but it's my first effort so that's some sort of excuse anyway... haha

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X