what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve,
    How did you get he fuel to feed with that remote tank?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Steve,
      How did you get he fuel to feed with that remote tank?
      I siphoned it to get it flowing then quickly attached the hose to the other side of the barbed coupling.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I worked on my rear brake linkage for my rearsets on my 79 550:

Cut off the pedal:

Made a tab for the linkage:

Shaped, drilled and welded the tab to the brake pedal clamp:

Cleaned it up a bit (had to grind off the rest of the chrome for paint eventually):

Here it is installed with the link attached:

...but why, you ask, did I use a shackle with a removable pin instead of a heim joint?
        Well, I'm glad you asked! The kick starter cant be used with the rearsets in their normal position:

...so I made it so you fold the peg, and disconnect the linkage (without tools) and flip the brake pedal out of the way, and Voila! The kicker is functional!
        1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
        sigpic
        My GS550 Build

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
          If there's any wind at all it has a tendancy to walk all over the road
          Steve, have you ever replaced the fork bushings ?
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
            Steve, have you ever replaced the fork bushings ?
            I have not.
            I think the problem I've been experiencing is because the '82 GS1100E is a higher profile bike, higher center of gravity, sits high.
            I notice this immediately when I switch over to it after riding my GS1000.
            It's just more vulnerable to being blown around more in gusty crosswinds.
            I don't ride as fast as I normally would if it is a little windy, and I surely wouldn't want to ride alongside someone else.
            The bike has around 15K and the front end is tight.
            It has the exact same size tires as my GS1000, Avon roadriders, and set to the same pressure.
            I set all the damping, pre load, front and back to their lowest setting and reduced the air in the front shocks. I'm thinking a saggy suspension will help. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow weather permitting.
            sigpic
            Steve

Comment

Welcome to the site, 8ball.
              Great "wrenching" and great first post.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Sorry, no pictures, but I rebuilt the starter on "Ratbagger".

One of the two brushes was worn enough to not touch, so it wasn't working at all. Looked at Stocker Starters, a pair of brushes was $10. I could get the entire plate that holds the brushes, too. That includes the plate, brushes, springs and the large bolt that sticks through the case. That package was $25. Then I noticed that, for just $5 more, I could get a complete rebuild kit that also included bushings for each end of the armature, oil seal, the skinny o-rings for the case ends and the thick o-ring that goes on the snout that goes into the crankcase. I splurged and got the full kit. Ordered it on Friday, received it on Monday, can't complain.

Replacing everything was rather simple. The hardest part was removing the bushing from the closed end cap. I found that using a 10x1.5mm tap worked perfectly. Just thread the tap in. As it cuts threads in the bushing, it continues on to push on the end of the cap, which then pulls the bushing right out. When the bushing is out, it unthreads off the tap very easily. A socket and hammer removed the bushing from the open end cap.

Re-installed the starter, primed the carbs. Had to top off the battery charge (bike has not been run for several months), it fired right up.

Now I am waiting for some new drive belts for a Unimat lathe so I can turn down some mounting posts for the windshield. They should be here before the weekend.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                  Welcome to the site, 8ball.
                  Great "wrenching" and great first post.
                  Thanks. I've been lurking for a couple of months, and have gotten quite a lot of good info from here. I will be putting together a build thread soon, so maybe I might contribute.

Cheers,
                  Butch
                  1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
                  sigpic
                  My GS550 Build

Comment

I'm here to tell you that torture does work.
                    The gs400ex now has both cylinders firing and the tach is perky! (also fixed). ....a very short ride is in order; short, because the tires are cracked and old, the chain is a loop of blackened scab, the powdered rims may crumble ...
                    That's right, No pix, because this nag has been neglected...brutalised and it's too much for caring soul to see....

Comment

Since getting the exhaust repaired and re-coated, it's definitely been re-assembled to be somewhat freer flowing with the associated small increase in the audible entertainment.

Unfortunately it has also led to increased popping under decel with a closed throttle, so I wound the mixture screws out half a turn before the ride to work this morning thinking she might be a little leaned out.

It seems to have made a difference but still getting some, so I'll do the other half turn tomorrow and see what happens.

Ideally I'd love to find some time to stick the Colortune in and see what it says, but I can't see that happening too soon...
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                        I have not.
                        I think the problem I've been experiencing is because the '82 GS1100E is a higher profile bike, higher center of gravity, sits high.
                        I notice this immediately when I switch over to it after riding my GS1000.
                        It's just more vulnerable to being blown around more in gusty crosswinds.
                        I don't ride as fast as I normally would if it is a little windy, and I surely wouldn't want to ride alongside someone else.
                        The bike has around 15K and the front end is tight.
                        It has the exact same size tires as my GS1000, Avon roadriders, and set to the same pressure.
                        I set all the damping, pre load, front and back to their lowest setting and reduced the air in the front shocks. I'm thinking a saggy suspension will help. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow weather permitting.
                        Alright first things first. Steve where have you been? I would suggest visiting Bo Jangles down the road to gain some weight, especially if you've been sick with the flu. Good to know you alive and kicking. P.S. I bought 2 more bikes since we talked last.
                        Originally posted by pete View Post
                        Since getting the exhaust repaired and re-coated, it's definitely been re-assembled to be somewhat freer flowing with the associated small increase in the audible entertainment.

Unfortunately it has also led to increased popping under decel with a closed throttle, so I wound the mixture screws out half a turn before the ride to work this morning thinking she might be a little leaned out.

It seems to have made a difference but still getting some, so I'll do the other half turn tomorrow and see what happens.

Ideally I'd love to find some time to stick the Colortune in and see what it says, but I can't see that happening too soon...
                        Now for Pete, Eric asked me to suggest, raising the needles and increasing the main if that doesn't do it. He says the air adjustment screw wont cure your ills. PM for his email, if you would like a direct link.
                        GSRick
                        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I've been a little buzy lately. I reciently bought 2 bikes. 3 weeks ago I pickf up a 750ex out of St. Pete for $200. Was going to restore it for my wife to ride but it's to tall. I'm not the biggest fan of the rectangle headlights and it will need alot of work, so I've decided to part it out to help the collective. I'm going to keep the engine for my '82 750t project. I got it running by throwing the carbs from the t on it. The bike had obviously been sitting for quite some time. I took off the carbs and pulled the bowl and diaphrams lids. Diaphrams were good but the needles were varnished closed, same with the floats, float needle and main jets. Clog-a-reno, I can barely see the pilots. Sprayed some PB Blaster on them and everything that is still stuck. Oh yeah, one broken float pin perch, repair will be attempted but I want to see if I can get everything apart and cleaned first. Pictures and more later, have to get back to work.
                          GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                            Alright first things first. Steve where have you been? I would suggest visiting Bo Jangles down the road to gain some weight, especially if you've been sick with the flu. Good to know you alive and kicking. P.S. I bought 2 more bikes since we talked last.
                            I have been here all along. Haven't been riding much at all with this flu, but finally I think I'm getting over it. But did get out yesterday.

This area is to be used only for general GS topics. For non-GS related topics, join the Off-Topic usergroup. <b>Technical questions are not to be posted here.</b>

If you got two more bikes you must be running out of room.
                            I do not like the way this year is starting at all. Computer crashed and replaced, car problems, the flu and last nigh I broke a molar, looks like it's gonna be a new crown, but.......................... I'm not complaining one bit. Not at all! All these things do is take my money and my time.
                            I can deal with that. Besides one hour out on the bike and all is well.
                            I consider myself truly blessed!
                            sigpic
                            Steve

Comment

Good to hear, I sent you a couple of emails, but no responce. Thought maybe you went up north and was visiting family. I mainly bought the '81 750ex for the engine and a possible bike for Bonnie. Even though I hate the thought of parting out a bike with an open title(N.C.), if it was a 1100ex I wouldn't, but it needs to much invested in it for me to mess with. Butt ugly seat, ape hanger like handle bars, filter box missing, cut/broken rear shocks, this and that, better to help out the hive. It does have an almost mint tank, tail and one good rt. side cover. The tank fits on the '80 1000S(cooley), but just isn't right, so I'm willing to trade for a 79 or '80 1000 tank if a member wants to.

The other bike is an '81 550t that was a steal at $200. I need to replace the starter, a little wireing, cut a new stator gasket, carb cleaning, and fork seals, but I'm going to try changing the fluid first. It came with a cover and a Clymers. I just did most of the same work on an identicle bike for the local guy that bought my '77 750 cafe project. I got the tank and cafe seat/tail back from the guy that bought it from him. He turned it into a bobber and has sold it again. I missed out on a cheap but nice '80 1000G that you might have seen on CL around xmas. It was missing the carbs. A new member here (blueplatespecial) bought it, so it's all good. As far as room goes, I have moved three of the projects out back for working room. Yeah I know they are all projects. lol I'll have the 550t done in a weekend, it's that nice.

Last edited by gsrick; 01-16-2013, 04:53 PM.
                              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                                Now for Pete, Eric asked me to suggest, raising the needles and increasing the main if that doesn't do it. He says the air adjustment screw wont cure your ills. PM for his email, if you would like a direct link.
                                Thanks Eric by proxy

The needles are already up one notch and the mains are 8 sizes up (probably too far) and the original issue I had was bogging just as you crack the throttle, and it's still a little bit boggy but not as bad, but the big difference is the extra popping under decel with a closed throttle. If I hold the throttle open a little, no issue.

I really do need to spend some time... Colortune and plug chops are definitely required here!
                                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X