• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the engine back in the 1100F over the weekend;

Comment

I wrencehd upon an old gs that seemingly has a dead signal generator

so only one side appeared bad with infinite resistance

we need to set up a swap meet to allow for anyone with extra good sides to exchange them

I mean at 170 usd for some ridiculous permanent magnet coils there has to be a way to solder a good working half onto a plate

or we can all call china and ask them to make us some
      but they websites i see tend to ask for 500k plus units

which makes me think

the anility to produce adaptable electroncis vis software means that we shoul no longer be subject to dubious 30 year old stuff on a shelf

the is no reasoan an igniter cannot be selectable among all variants of gs we drive

much less is there any need to be hel prisoner to an outrageous price for a simple coil

who here speaks chinese?

Comment

Finished up the last few things in preparation of syncing the carbs. Woo! Got the carbs reinstalled, oil pan reinstalled, stator cover reinstalled, valves re-checked, valve cover reinstalled, top end oiler installed, cam chain tensioner reset and reinstalled, front calipers reinstalled, front M/C reinstalled, rear caliper reinstalled, rear M/C reinstalled, chain alignment re-checked, clutch reinstalled....then I broke a pressure plate/clutch spring bolt. Sonofamonkey. Torque wrench set to 8 ft-lbs, I think I was still compressing the spring when the bolt twisted. Only other snafu I ran into, I pulled the threads on a valve cover bolt hole, but those are easy enough to fix. So, now I have to disassemble the clutch, get the remainder of the bolt out (snapped pretty close to the clutch hub, will probably need to drill & easy-out), and reassemble the clutch. Bleargh. So close. Oh well, the down-time will give me time to get some house-cleaning done. Ordered a Deltron Battery Tender today, and an AGM battery, along with a Mity-Vac. Engine's looking great will all the stainless bits, plus the pods and Greg B's top end oiler.

Only other major item I have is cleaning and sealing the fuel tank. And brake bleeding, but I figured I'd wait until I get the Mity-Vac before I start that task. I still have a fork clamp bolt that needs attention as well, but that's a simple bolt and nut replacement. Here's to next weekend.!

Comment

Finaly got the proper 29.5 mm shims instaled, now tomorrow and the next day maybe I can get the right breather cover gasket and get the bike back together.
          Just in time to get it inspected (actualy a little late)
          From now on I do my own parts lookup and go in with part numbers in hand.

Comment

Pulled the starter on the 1100E after it was STILL leaking oil yesterday...

Yes, the o-ring is bad...
            I'll grab one here at work today and get it buttoned back up tonight...
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Woo, lots of parts showed up today. Fixed my broken clutch pressure plate bolt. I was able to spin it out with a pair of needle nose pliers. Finished up reinstalling the clutch and clutch cover. Polished my carb tops, and installed new pilot jet passage plugs. Adjusted the clutch, throttle, and choke cables. Battery Tender seems to be working just fine, battery's at +80 percent after six hours or so. Drained the fuel out of the gas tank, removed petcock, filler cap, and fuel level sending unit. Flushed the tank with water, and forced air dryed it with a heat gun. Tomorrow I'll go about sealing it with the POR-15 kit I had for a while. Ordered up a Pingel petcock to finish off the fuel system. Old petcock works fine, so I'll keep it as a back up or something. Should be ready to fire the motor to sync the carbs this weekend, if not tomorrow. Brakes will get finished off as soon as the Mity-Vac shows up, which should be Monday. I'll probably go ahead and fill the system and get an initial bleed on it. See if I can get a good enough feel on the lever to go for a few short test rides in order to do a few plug chops to fine tune the carbs. Hoping to make a nice 300 mile ride on the 20th, up to Sedona, so I've got just a little over a week to shake out any bugs. Should be doable.

Comment

Fixed the front brake light switch yesterday and definitely determined the rectifier is bad. Waiting for the new one from Duaneage to arrive hopefully today or tomorrow. Still need to replace the brake pads and get the new tires put on.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

well i installed the 13mm offset sprocket... and thats enough work for today... sister graduated and beer is setting in hooooha

Comment

Wrenched on the RAT-KAT, then prepared some Yoshimura headers for paint. G.

Comment

Received the new 850 project on Thursday and have been busy: scrubbed down the entire bike top to bottom including a good engine degreasing, adjusted the valves and replaced valve cover gasket(s), stripped and dipped the carbs, and scubbed down a little battery splooge with a wire brush and slathered on some POR-15 paint to seal down the spots. Tomorrow the carbs go back together, painted spots get top coated, and the airbox gets new foam. Good fun!
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Just sitting round after work reading about everyone's projects and maintenance tasks, itching to get home for a while...............

meanwhile a little link to a photo of what I have been wrenching on this week and every second week for the last 5 months. Today i purged the 64 lubrication lines that service the raising and lowering mechanisms

The company I am contracted to builds these things and the customers park them in ridiculously isolated places...........

Edit: That is a D10F CAT dozer on the sandhill above the mining unit

Comment

Should I consider an engineering degree, if I think that working on such a complicated piece of machinery would be fun, once you knew how it worked? Maybe it's just all the work I've been doing to the GS lately. Got the fuel tank cleaned and sealed. Seems to be turning out ok. Still needs to dry for about 88 hours. I was at an impasse last night when I couldn't find all my exhaust bolts. Looking at the front of the motor, it's obvious that the #1 pipe was leaking. All new exhaust gaskets should fix that right up. Since I had to wait until today to finish the exhaust in order to start the bike for the first time in about 4-5 months, I took the extra down time and polished the crap out of my carb tops and bowls. We're not talking Renobruce nice here, but it'll look just fine from a couple feet away, or with motion. I'm not really into the polished look, but they do look pretty ok, at least until I can muster the funds to get them, and my engine cases painted up real nice like. Now I'm off to get some fuel for the auxiliary tank so I can try out this Carbtune. Brakes are going to get final line routing, and then the system's going to be filled, and bleed. I'll finally get around to replaced the lower fork clamp bolt that's been stripped. Getting close to first ride time, can't muss everything up for lack of something stupid. Battery's charging, I used a good bit of juice turning the motor over with the starter. I wanted to insure that oil got to everything it needed to before combustion occurs. No odd noises hear while cranking the engine. Just the sounds of the starter working away. The feel of the compression in the engine was interesting as well. With each compression stroke, you could feel the air reverberate, like standing next to a bass drum. Very reassuring and all. I think I'll dig around and see if I can find my compression gauge. I might have an adapter that will fit...

Comment

Today I tore apart my 78 GS750 a little more. Started cleaning up the contacts in the switches. And later I will be either gas welding or migging my deteriorating exhaust headers.

Comment

I put the deadman switch on Belucci's bike doughnuts and bug spray

ahh summer life feeding the mosquitos.
                              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Got the engine started, brakes bled, cables adjusted etc. - just waiting on a new chain before I can take my first ride on the old girl;

Comment

Working...
                                X