No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good stuff Rick, will take a peek shortly...

And my test ride with the shortened slide springs was a roaring success today! Definitely a much improved throttle response.

The only downside is I went to far on the mixture screws so I've richened them up 3/4 of a turn again tonight, and I felt that WOT wasn't pulling as strong as the lesser throttle openings so I've gone the 6 size up (132.5) mains again.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I wrote on another thread this am (http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...79#post1825279) regarding my little wrenching today...well, this weekend if you want to be specific. Here are a few photos of my disassembly of the rear fender and instrument cluster.

One thing I found out is a 1980/750L instrument cluster will not work with an 82/750T's.

NOTE: I posted this on: "T-Nation Photo File" as well.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Another small step towards the shed starting today... got the rails for the fence up finally as it actually wasn't raining when I got home from work for a change.

I have timber for the gate frame and I think we have more hinges, so that can go up and then all we need to do is move the paling's from the old fence and I can rip it down and start levelling for the shed floor.

sigpic

Comment

Hit a drainage grate bump as I pulled into work and all electrical power was gone. Wiggled wires and it lead to the ignition switch. The red wire came unsoldered and fell off.. had to use the red and grey to hotwire it to get home after work.

This was on the 77 750.

Today I resoldered the wire on and changed out the glass fuse holder for the modern blade style as well. All good to go now.
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-05-2013, 02:49 PM.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Last night I spent some time cleaning up the where I cut off brackets. I managed to find the old pneumatic cutoff wheel and it's definitely quicker then the dremel . I need to get another set of cheap files, the ones I have are getting a bit dull.

Comment

hey chuck, I'd like to do that fuse box mod. can you clue me in to what you got and how it wired up? I read you need a different fuse box than what is regularly available.

Comment

I rebuilt some cheap Chinese shocks:
                1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
                sigpic
                My GS550 Build

Comment

No pic but I got the gate framework nailed together and I'm offically on leave now so hopefully tomorrow I can get the bike washed and polished and get the gate hung ready for the paling's.

sigpic

Comment

My 450 Rebel is now ready for the road. Final checks run today. Next up my 850L.
                    V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

The 77 750 has the inline fuse between the positive battery post and the wiring harness. All i had to do was cut the plastic glass fuse holder out of the line and soldered in the blade style fuse holder. I used the ATC ( smaller size than the ATM ) fuse holder....but same blade style fuses.

I did not replace then square hard mounted fuse panel..part 10 in the fiche is what i swapped out..it had melted a bit and the glass fuse wouldnt come out...so i switched it.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-06-2013, 09:27 PM.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

A bit more work on the XL project. New cables all around, new clutch and springs. New oil seals in the clutch cover and installed new counter shaft sprocket.

Comment

Ah, I see. Yeah, I'd like to do the fuse box switch but I'm gonna have to do some more searching on it. I read it can be difficult to find the kind of fusebox I need, and I'm not sure which one I need or why it's different. Anyway, to keep from hacking the thread, I installed my new red braided ss lines and new master cylinder, bled brakes, installed mini-gauges and new throttle cables. rerouted wires and will be back at her tomorrow to get all the lights wired back up. Hopefully start on the swing arm conversion and put my new Hagon shocks i got from Dave Quinn....good guy to do business with.

Comment

Gave the 450 a big wash and polish today, got most but not all of the baked on cow poo off despite a high concentrate of truck wash and a reasonably firm bit of elbow grease...

Then I managed to finish up the gate framework and hang it, so all I need now is paling's and the new fence is complete and the shed can start.

Then, seeing as we fly out tomorrow morning to Melbourne until mid next week, I figured it was a prime time to rip the armour out of the jacket and give it a wash and rip the liner and cheek pads out of the helmet and give them a wash as well. Should be dry ready for use when I get back.

I also gave both pairs of bike boots a generous helping of Dr Martin's Wonder Balsam after all this recent rain riding.

sigpic

Comment

New swingarm bearings and rear axle bearings,new front brakes all on the Blaster.This weekend gonna be 50 sunday so saturday the gs will be brought out of her winter sleep.busy busy.
                              n Also continuing repairs and upgrades in the home.Kitchen floor is done n looks sweet,bathroom next,living room and hallway have been painted,bathroom kitchen and master bed soon to come,maybe next week.

Comment

I managed to start getting the spare head for the bike ready to reassemble. I got a good deal from the local engine rebuilder. He took my grudgy spare head hot tanked it, acid dipped it, blasted it, check it for being straight (it was), ground the seats and lapped the valves all for $90.00. I just put a coat of paint on it today, tomorrow in the oven while the wife is away. Then time for reassembly and then try to schedule some time to swap it out along with a new set of rings. With the amount I ride now it should be good for another 30+ years. The valve seals dried out after 34 years and it was smoking but compression was fine and really would have been happy to do the rope or air trick and not take it apart but it's got a plug insert from before I got bike 20 years ago and it's starting to fail so it's probably best to fix that too.

'84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                                X