what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs450ga

Today my ga got a new final drive unit and rear tire salvaged from a parts bike before taking a long cruise

Comment

Yup - Harbor Freight - $339 after coupon.

Comment

I changed oil and filter. Filter cover gasket and installed a tach hole plug. Got her up and running today. And went for a short ride in this cold MN weather.

Comment

I got some nice little Molex connectors that I was gonna use for my turn signals. I spent like an hour making them look really clean... Wire sleeving, solder, heat shrink and all that. I go to install them and I'm a freakin idiot, I have the signals attached to the frame there is a big lock washer and nut that the wire has to pass through. The connector is far too large to shove through it, and even if put the nut on and then the connector it wouldn't work either. So I wasted an hour last night

Comment

No shortage of choices in my shop

most recently it was my wife's GPZ

Comment

Spent Saturday fixing the clutch on the XL project. Some PO had bent the carrier for the throwout bearing and the clutch would not fully engage. Got that sorted and now need to fix the speedometer. I did take it for about a 15 mile ride. Much more fun now that the clutch hooks up.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                I got some nice little Molex connectors that I was gonna use for my turn signals. I spent like an hour making them look really clean... Wire sleeving, solder, heat shrink and all that. I go to install them and I'm a freakin idiot, I have the signals attached to the frame there is a big lock washer and nut that the wire has to pass through. The connector is far too large to shove through it, and even if put the nut on and then the connector it wouldn't work either. So I wasted an hour last night
                HA, I cant count how many times that I put a nice flare on a piece of copper pipe at work, only to find that I forgot to put the flarenut on.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Had the front wheel out for a clean and fork brace bolt check. When I was putting everything back together I was torquing up the axle holder nuts and stipped one of the studs.
                  Sooooo pulled everthing aprt again pulled the stud out and replaced it, putting things back together and the same stud stripped again.
                  GRRR, so I replaced the stud with a bolt.
                  Any thoughts on if this was a good or bad idea?
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2013, 02:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    HA, I cant count how many times that I put a nice flare on a piece of copper pipe at work, only to find that I forgot to put the flarenut on.
                    .....and its always that perfect flare that you just look at and say " darn thats purdy"
                    (mentally patting ourselves on the back and rejoicing)
                    Then the Homer Simpson moment........Doh!

Comment

Jason's Marauder / GSX1000, really nicely done special. Rebuilt the leaking cam chain adjuster.

Piccy is of my 16 year-old daughter trying his bike for size:

79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I brought the 850's front wheel into work with me yesterday and exchanged the front tire that was on it, with one that is the mate of the rear tire which suffered from being impaled by a bolt on the way to work one morning. While I had it apart I installed the progressive front springs that I had bought off Joe Whelan a few weeks back, set the sag to 1-5/8 inches and set the rear shocks up another notch to the second from the highest preload.

If the weather is warm enough next week I'll take her out and see how close those settings are.

Next up is working on the skunks fuel tank.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Spikes!

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                          Jason's Marauder / GSX1000, really nicely done special. Rebuilt the leaking cam chain adjuster.

Piccy is of my 16 year-old daughter trying his bike for size:

I noticed the spikes on the CAM Covers....Yikes!

Not hip on the saddle bags but that's a choice.

Get your daughter off that bike...she's not wearing safety gear!

It's all good...thanks for sharing.

Ed
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I dragged the motor into the living room, installed the new rings and circlips onto the pistons. Getting them in the sleeves was a huge pita, finally that's done and I didn't break anything. I have to go pick up some lapping compound tonight and get my stainless lines for the 954 brakes.

That motor is so heavy, carrying it back onto the garage was a workout .

Comment

The pain of the last 2 months is nearing completion...Thank God. New ceiling, new recessed lights and wiring, trim & crown molding. For an hvac guy ,this work is painful...Just need to complete the baseboard, which should be relatively simple in comparison. Now i can clean out the garage and get the cycle back in its rightful place.
                              Last edited by dorkburger; 04-06-2013, 10:32 PM. Reason: missssspellling
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

COOLEY out of mothballs

Got the electrical sorted. Turned out to be bad points. Checked and fine tuned the timing while the cover was off.

Took the brake calipers and master cylinders apart and made sure all was well with the stoppers!!! Mighty Vac bled them in seconds..all is fresh and good.

Filled them tires with air and am off in a few for a good long ride on the old girl.
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X