No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a propane torch to remove the broken exhaust stud on my 650 head. It took forever and a couple heat/cool/penetrating oil cycles to loosen it up, when it came out a bunch of sand poured out . I guess it got some sand in there and they cranked in the bolt and snapped it off.

After that I primed/painted the head and installed the valves. Those valve keepers are a pain!

Comment

I'm sitting in a motel room somewhere south of Ardmore, OK. My RT's alternator quick working and the bike was running on a total loss ignition system......dead battery. I pushed the sob off of I35, down an off ramp, and into a convenience store. It nearly killed me. Had a taxi take me to Wal Mart to get a 15A quick charger and an extension cord. Charged it up enough to get me here and in the morning, the front cover is coming off and I hope to find a shot belt. If so, I sure hope the auto part store right down the street can do something for me.

Comment

Got the damage from my rear ender last week assessed, need to wait for a panel beating quote.

Then I got some 145 and 150 main jets in the mail today, stuck the 145's in, and will see if WOT is improved during the commute tomorrow.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by GS ace View Post
          I'm sitting in a motel room somewhere south of Ardmore, OK. My RT's alternator quick working and the bike was running on a total loss ignition system......dead battery. I pushed the sob off of I35, down an off ramp, and into a convenience store. It nearly killed me. Had a taxi take me to Wal Mart to get a 15A quick charger and an extension cord. Charged it up enough to get me here and in the morning, the front cover is coming off and I hope to find a shot belt. If so, I sure hope the auto part store right down the street can do something for me.
          Good luck with that!

And a good thing that you were near an exit ramp.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

A "bike" of a different flavor

Building a Honda 185 SXR

Comment

Replaced my broken gustaffson windscreen. This is my second go around with this. The last one cracked by the rear mounting screw hole,due to my inexperience. I overtightened it. It hung in fine for a couple of years until last summer when the corner of the screen broke off during a bout of the killswitch game (pulling up next to your buddy at a stop, reaching over and smacking the killswitch). My cousins sleeve caught the screen and finished it off If anyone is contemplating this, keep in mind that the screen is not drilled for mounting holes. Use the recommended specialty drill bit, DO NOT RUSH, AND HAVE PLENTY OF PATIENCE ON HAND. I had trouble getting it to sit properly. I took some measurements, and found my fairing brackets slightly out of whack. Just need to get a matched set of mounting screws to complete the job.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

How good are those Gustaffson screens? I hear they're much thinner then they used to be.

Comment

Its thinner then the factory screen. if i didn't botch up the install, i'm sure it would still be fine. I dropped my bike in the garage last year (more like a slow tip over). The screen hit some junk in the garage hard enough to put some major scuffs in it, but it held up. Its a plus 2 inch, and makes highway riding a pleasure.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The belt was shredded and in a ball of what looked like black string. I did the repair in the parking lot of an auto parts store. The guy had the belt in stock! He even let me use a couple of his tools and offered to help if I needed it. Talk about small town hospitality! After about three hours, I was on my way.

Comment

The belt was shredded and in a ball of what looked like black string. I did the repair in the parking lot of an auto parts store. The guy had the belt in stock! He even let me use a couple of his tools and offered to help if I needed it. Talk about small town hospitality! After about three hours, I was on my way.
                      How many miles/years were on the old belt?
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Like a Boss. Good job man.

Comment

I don't know what the PO did in relationship to the belt. I believe that they should be replaced by 36k miles. In retrospect and in a lack of trust, I should have gone ahead and replaced it when I bought it at 38k. It now has 63 on the odo. I suppose that not doing something can be as bad as doing something wrong.

Comment

I don't know what the PO did in relationship to the belt. I believe that they should be replaced by 36k miles. In retrospect and in a lack of trust, I should have gone ahead and replaced it when I bought it at 38k. It now has 63 on the odo. I suppose that not doing something can be as bad as doing something wrong.
                            Yes.

A friend has a 99 Integra, 117K, has never had any belts changed. An oil change place offered to change the external belts for "only" $250. I advised her to take her car to a real mechanic for a timing belt change, as the labor for removing and installing the external belts is included.
                            sigpic[Tom]

Comment

Turns out I leaned my mixture screws out way too much yesterday, lots of embarrassing popping on decel today and I left the small flat blade screwdriver at home so I couldn't adjust them at work either

I still reckon I need more fuel though so the 150 main jets went in tonight and the mixture screws came out half a turn... see what happens tomorrow.
                              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I got the 750 mostly assembled last night except for the monoshock (its a tight fit). I sat on it for the first time before I went inside for the night and that thing is comfy! It's like a barcalounger with some handlebars

Comment

Working...
                                X