No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent test ride with the Katana boys today... those 150 main jets look good... potentially a touch on the rich side at WOT but the rest of the throttle range seems to be good now...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

wheels

Putting new bearings in wheels from 650 that I'm putting on my 850. Taking splines apart off back and cleaning up and applying honda moly. New tires to come. terrylee

Comment

Well this evening I started my project to replace head with a spare one I got and rebuilt over the winter and to also pull the cylinders and replace the rings. All it really needed was new valve seals but while I'm there might as well do the rings. I was very surprised how easily it all came apart. I just removed all the necessary parts and bolts and 2 wacks with my plastic hammer and the head just came loose, gotta like that after being together for almost 35 years. The cylinder needed about 3 wacks and came off almost as easy and both the gaskets came right off too and almost in one piece. Only problem is there is minor scoring on the #4 cylinder, the piston is still usable and I do have a spare cylinder to get a different sleeve from. I'd just rather not have to do that. I'll get an opinion from the engine guy in town that will do the hone for me this coming week.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Moly'd up the the cams and installed them into Stan's GS1100GK. Measured the chain stretch while I was in there and made a new gasket for the tensioner. Checked the valve clearances; the number 2 cylinder was under spec but I didn't have the necessary 2.55 shim to bring it back into spec. She's going to have to sit until I can scrounge one up.

Oh Chuck???
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Did a little repair job on a Honda 4 wheeler. My buddy crashed into another 4 wheeler bending the frame on his and cracking the cylinder head motor mount. I had it welded and then machined the mount parallel with the other.

Then i worked on my drag bike started putting it back together for May's season opener.
            Good day in the shop.

Comment

what i stuffed around ,,,with,,,,

On sunday afternoon,,,, i went out to the garage,,,,i put off going outside as it was COLD and bucketing down rain,,,, all my water tanks were over flowing,,, so in the garage ,,, i un-did the socket head cap screwsand removed all of the boots ,,,no.1 inlet boot has a crack near the out side cap screw,,, where i have patched it up with black silicon,,, and no. 2 showed a little bit of carbon where it showed it had been loose.... anyway today ,,,,monday,,, i,ll clean the surfaces where the boots go on and clamp them on ,,,,i will make sure the are tight ... then during the week i,ll stip the carbys and clean them before putting them back on regards oldgrumpy
              Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2013, 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I have pretty much all the regular spring stuff done on my bike.
                I have the old tire that was on it when I bought it.
                I figured I could take the worn tire off and throw the old on for now and it's be fine for wizzing around a little bit.
                So I went ahead and got insurance on my bike, it was only $20.

Today I managed to get the worn tire off and after wrestling around trying to get the old tire on and seated, I discovered (and remembered) that when I took it off originally, I had let the air out of by stabbing it with my knife.

Needless to say, I did a decent amount of non productive work today, lol.

Comment

I did a bonehead thing tonight -

I'm working on my little kawi - since it sat out in the weather for years, snow, leaves, etc., it needs all kinds of TLC -

I'm at the rear wheel tonight - I had to break the chain due to rust, I disassembled the back wheel, and I got the new bearing in the hub, then I put the two new outer wheel bearings on - and then I notice the spacer bar, you know the one that goes inside the wheel, still laying on the lift top -

I start tapping out one of the bearings, my bar slips, bearing steel side shield is FUBARED -

DAMN - now to order a new bearing, to replace the new one -

Comment

We have a '73 atc 70 - first year. Generations of kids in the family beat the wheels off it in Grandpas yard, literally down to tubes. There is one occasion that I know of that the oil plug came out and the engine stopped, It was found and oil replaced and still ran like a sewing machine.

I set the non-running atc aside for awhile when it lost spark. My teen aged son couldn't leave it alone and after locating a coil (difficult for '73 and '74) he found the spark again, and related rotten fuel lines and crap.

Today he turned to me unsuccessful to get fuel the bowl, I figured it to be the petcock and showed him something he missed. Tweak here and there and were tearing up the grass again. As was the youngest boy, the only person that doesn't look Shriner Bike stupid riding it.

It was nice that the independent teenager turned to me for support. Nicer yet that the little bike influences his mechanical mind. dratv.com helps a lot also.
                    Hondas
                    '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                    Suzuki
                    '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                    Kaw
                    '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

I love the three wheelers, big big fan.

Today my bike fired up for the first time this year.

I had the carbs back together and got the air boxes all sorted out, rigged my self up an IV bag style fuel source to dial in the mixture screws and set the idle.

It really didn't want to start at first, but I spritzed some gas into the air box and away it went!

After that it started real easy, every time.

Going to be about a week until I can get a tire, and by then the temps should be slightly warmer than right now.

Comment

Tonight I got all the gasket surfaces prepped and should be picking up my cylinders on Wednesday. Pulled the oil pan and cleaned the screen just because and also sanded some spots on frame that could use a touch up while it's easy to access. Hopefully be warm enough by mid week to paint the frame and cylinders so I can get it back together on the weekend.
                        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Started the pin stripping.
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Picked up a 77 Kawasaki KZ650B1 yesterday, which is gonna be the auction bike at Austin Moto fest 2014. Myself, Frank Z. and our many coconspiritors will be doing a frame up reconditioning of her.

I intend on starting a thread Thursday evening in the OTHER PROJECTS section with pics of the starting point and will follow up with progress pictures as the project progresses....stay tuned as this is gonna be a considerable undertaking.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Got a little careless with the bleeder hose when I bleeded my front caliper after replacing it, the hose disconnected from the bleeder valve and brake fluid got on the front fork paint, the caliper needed painting anyway, and this was clearly evident after giving the bike a bath.
                              So I decided to paint the fork and the anti-dive mechanism. I used Dupli color semi gloas black, and VHT aluminum.

Then prep for the anti-dive mechanism.

Plus a few scratches on the engine case from pulling the carbs.

It didn't take all that long, and I had tons of Wal-Mart bags to use to protect from overspray, as well as some aluminum foil, and a little painters tape. And that basically how I do it.

sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Help

Sure could use some pics and a bit of a how to as I am thinking about doing mine as well.

Mike
                                Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                                Started the pin stripping.
                                sigpic1981 gs1000G Black
                                1969 Honda Dream Apart and someday will be painted!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

Comment

Working...
                                X