Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
    Gustovh,Thats a cool looking fairing.
    Yes it is period correct and color matched to the bike which it came with, too bad there was no windshield with it.

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Looked at my '90 GSX750F, waiting for a new oil pressure sensor.
      I dunno, I'd like to do a couple track days on this bike, not sell it.
      Attached Files
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Took the rotor off my 1150 to take a look at the starter clutch…

Rotor and clutch were nice and tight, I replaced those bolts many years ago with the help of a friend and they are still perfect. The damage and scaring where from a previous starter clutch (this will be the third time having it off).
        But as you can see the surface the starter clutch rides on is worn and the pins or whatever they are called are worn too.
        I need to source the parts .

Comment

An updated picture of the old girl that I have been working on. I need to change the handlebars, and get some stainless lines. Now to fine tune the old girl.

[/URL]
          Gustov
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          80 GS 550 L
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Uncovered it last night washed it up changed oil, this morning charged it up started it and went for first ride of the year.
            sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
            1994 gsxr1100w
            1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
              An updated picture of the old girl that I have been working on. I need to change the handlebars, and get some stainless lines. Now to fine tune the old girl.

[/URL]
              That is the strangest-looking seat I've seen. Satisfy my curiosity; what fairing is that?
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Way too much... started with the rototiller and farmall A Saturday and a go kart and ATV today. Not to mention two chairs and a host of other things in between.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Actually, cut a hole in one of the GK's fairing dash plates to mount my USB outlets. Oh, what interesting circumstances the 21st century has brought.

Comment

Well, not too much 'wrenching', but ...

I think I stole an air compressor.

Ingersoll Rand, Charge Air PRO, Model 5E6VA.

Had to grease up a shoehorn to get it in, but it fits.

On Mrs. Steve's suggestion, removed a stud from the unfinished bathroom wall and came in from the side.
                    There is room to rotate it under the stairs for replacing the belt.

A newer version of this has slightly higher SCFM, and is $979.
                    I got this at a garage sale a mile from my house for "considerably less".

Installed some pieces of old mud flap material under the feet, but will need to find something a little more absorbent, as the floor drums while the compressor is running. The compressor itself is not all that loud, but the little bit of vibration it causes definitely resonates in the floor. Got it installed, wired and running by about midnight last night.

Also got some free metal shelves from one of 'my' hospitals. Set them in place, but might move them a bit before we decide the location is 'final'.

Then we said "hang it all" and went for a ride.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Looks great akckhim!
                      I have always admired that bike!!!

That will come in real handy Steve!
                      And some shelves to boot.

Finished putting the front end on my L late yesterday afternoon.
                      Today I went out and rechecked all my work for any loose bolts/nuts and looking for a new place to mount my horns.

Then I went out for my first ride of 2015.
                      Small shakedown run, longer shakedown run, then just enjoyed some curvy country roads.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        That is the strangest-looking seat I've seen. Satisfy my curiosity; what fairing is that?
                        It is a Hannigan Grand Tour, I gotta say that it is the first one that I have run across. The seat may be strange, but my butt likes it.

V
                        Gustov
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        80 GS 550 L
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Strip and dip on a Honda rebel carb for a co-worker, brought it in to work today, and will have a pair from an 07 GS500 twin to do soon.

Comment

The seat may be strange, but my butt likes it.
                            Depending on the "vintage-ness" of the seat, it was either made by Mayer or Russell, but both were sold as "Day-Long" Saddles. I don't remember exactly when it happened, but Mayer retired and sold the business to Russell, so it's essentially the same product.

I had a Mayer seat on my KZ1300 and loved it. Had a Russell seat on my ZN1300. It was OK, but not as good as the Mayer.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

In the workshop - re-soldered the shoddy soldering job that had been done on the XS tank nipples. Not pretty, but should be solid now. I might go up a size in nipple, to accomodate a wider range of fuel taps.

It is a Hannigan Grand Tour, I gotta say that it is the first one that I have run across. The seat may be strange, but my butt likes it.

V
                              Thanks for that.
                              The lowers that seem to be designed to accomodate the Suzuki cases, are what caught my eye. I'm currently putting together a fairing kit for the '80 bike based around a BMW K-RT fairing, but the BMW lowers will need a bit of re-working. It's handy to know what was out there, that might be a better fit.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Depending on the "vintage-ness" of the seat, it was either made by Mayer or Russell, but both were sold as "Day-Long" Saddles. I don't remember exactly when it happened, but Mayer retired and sold the business to Russell, so it's essentially the same product.

I had a Mayer seat on my KZ1300 and loved it. Had a Russell seat on my ZN1300. It was OK, but not as good as the Mayer.
                              I'll keep my eyes open for one of those. Of course, nowadays many cruisers come with the Amazingly Wide-Ass seat as standard, to accomodate the more portly gentleman. I was standing in a dealer's recently, gob-smacked at the size of the saddles on late-model bikes.
                              Last edited by Grimly; 05-04-2015, 02:17 PM.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The saddle is a Russell cycle prod. Fall River Mills Ca., yes it is a day long.

Removed the lowers to the fairing and did a carb sync and adjusted the pilots to lean best, smoothed it out some. Before the sync the rods in the carbtune descended in a pretty even ramp down from #4 to #2, after the sync #2/3 slight up bubble.

Removed the bars and straightened them out then tweaked the angle of the grips to suit me better and rein-staled them. Then did a compression test. Not so hot, but could be a lot worse, 90, 90, 95, 100. Going to run a couple tanks through it and change all the fluids again. Looks like Newport this weekend, then do another compression test just for kicks before I do a valve adjust and another sync. Should be ready for the rally then.

V
                                Gustov
                                81 GS 1000 G
                                79 GS 850 G
                                81 GS 850 L
                                80 GS 550 L
                                2002 Honda 919
                                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment