No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

..and I installed new needles and seats in the CR's on the Kat, and replaced the stacks with new K&N pods;

Comment

Got the forks all back together and go to take a test ride, and now all of a sudden it has no spark

Comment

cleaned up some rusted chrome, looks like i'll be replacing it cause its realllllllly eatin up the metal. but i was at least workin on her today....lol

Comment

Got the bike to fire and run, briefly. Choke made the rpms shoot up, didn't really try and get it to idle at all. Just wanted to test the carbs for leaks, and listen for any majorly odd noises. So far, so good. Tomorrow, I'm going to double check all the carb internals, and make sure everything's set correctly, engine-wise. Then it'll be time to set the idle and sync carbs. Hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunger King View Post
            Just sitting round after work reading about everyone's projects and maintenance tasks, itching to get home for a while...............

meanwhile a little link to a photo of what I have been wrenching on this week and every second week for the last 5 months. Today i purged the 64 lubrication lines that service the raising and lowering mechanisms

The company I am contracted to builds these things and the customers park them in ridiculously isolated places...........

Edit: That is a D10F CAT dozer on the sandhill above the mining unit

Looks pretty remote out there and a really big piece of as machinery .

The guy on the scaffolding also brings the size into scale

Comment

Bike is finally assembled after a frame paint job. Filled and bleeded brakes last week, and got the electricals working. Now I installed new sparkplugs and changed the engine oil. It fires up but only runs on cylinder 2 and 3. The floatchamber drain screws are all stuck and I fear I have to strip and clean the carbs. Also the petcock leaks....dripped on a bit of there frame where the new paint is bubling up. Lots of work ahead.
              AND today I'm starting on the mc driving license class

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                Looks pretty remote out there and a really big piece of as machinery .

The guy on the scaffolding also brings the size into scale
                The thing weighs over 800 tons (imperial ) or 900 metric tonnes, travels at 3 mph for about 300 yards every three to four weeks and will be finished it's present pit in about 6 years time.

the mine (mineral sands zircon/titanium/rutile ) is located 700 miles west of adelaide on the edge of the nullarbor plain, closest town (population 100 ish) is 150 miles and closest doctor is 250 miles.

I go home tomorrow to work on another project close to home building a crushing plant in a quarry for 3-4 months, after that I will hopefully have the bank topped up and be able to concentrate on the wifes GS650M Katana and some goodies for the EFF

Comment

Took the ZX900A Ninja out for a couple swift, well-needed rides on Friday and Saturday. Put her on the stand yesterday for some PM. Changed the oil & filter, and removed the spent chain & sprockets, in prep for replacement-part arrival.

Next up:
                  ** Shorten the fork-spring preload spacers a bit.
                  ** Replace carb intake boots, install #40 pilot jets, reinstall & sync carbs.
                  ** Re-torque cylinder head.
                  ** Adjust valves.

Then she'll be ready for summer.

Work has been pure hell for several weeks.
                  It felt great to carve some turns, and turn some wrenches - what excellent therapy!

Comment

Hmmm something different to hone TIG skills with thin wall (.049") tubing building bicycle trailers.....

Comment

Tuesday and yesterday I installed new tires on a Canadian origin 1980 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 1100cc for an acquaintance of mine. The thing is not in the best of shape, a wiring nightmare, he needs to replace the throttle cables, no snap back. I cautioned him strongly on the safety aspect. Also found out he's one of those "don't use the front brakes" wonks, explained why he needs to use the front brakes (this is his first bike since way back, he has loads of bad habits from back then). I hope to get him in a MSF course before the summer is done.
                      The old tires were Dunlop Elite IIs with good looking tread, lots of sidewall cracking and hard as rocks. The latest date by DOT that I could guess at were 3 digits, early 90's. He was riding on them when he got the bike last year.
                      I'm also trying to teach him ATGATT. If he's only riding a couple of miles he thinks a t-shirt, maybe jeans or shorts if it's real hot, sneakers and no helmet is just fine......
                      My 850 is so much easier to work on than that monster....

Comment

Didnt have to wrench on anything today. So I went to my storage unit and one by one took all my bikes for a ride to charge up the batteries a bit and run some oil around inside the engines.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ag-Style Wrenching Tonite...

This evening, I re-installed the blades I sharpened yesterday, back into the finish mower. Then mowed 2 acres of field with my Kubota B7100 tractor. Cutting quality was vastly improved!

Comment

Gotta pull the garbage disposal today. Doesn't seem clogged, but keeps blowing the fuse. It's original from '88, probably just that time.

Comment

Dewatered the fuel system on my lawnmower for the umpteenth time today. This E10 ethanol gas sux. Got halfway through mowing and bumped up against the gas meter box in the front yard. Immediatedly got ate up by a bunch of yellow jackets nesting in there. Screw the lawn, I'm gonna go drink beer!

Wheatdog

Comment

Originally posted by wheatdog View Post
                                Dewatered the fuel system on my lawnmower for the umpteenth time today. This E10 ethanol gas sux. Got halfway through mowing and bumped up against the gas meter box in the front yard. Immediatedly got ate up by a bunch of yellow jackets nesting in there. Screw the lawn, I'm gonna go drink beer!

Wheatdog
                                I like the way you think Wheatdog.
                                Larry D
                                1980 GS450S
                                1981 GS450S
                                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                                X