No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I changed tires for the first time last night , it was much easier then I thought it would be. Partially inflating the tube definitely is the key when remounting, it keeps it from getting pinched by the irons.

Comment

Ready for blast, cut, weld and non-green powder coat.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovmod View Post

Ready for blast, cut, weld and non-green powder coat.

So what 'non' green colour will it end up being?
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Man that is mean green!
          MY EYES!!!!

Comment

Still chasing some gremlins out of the Eliminator. It seems I pinched the wires to the front brake switch and a few days later they grounded, blowing the tail light / running lights fuse. Fixed that. Tiny thing, hours to track down.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post

So what 'non' green colour will it end up being?
              I was thinking ... black.

Comment

Electric gremlins banished! The Eliminator is fully repaired! Well, it's ready for inspection. There are a few cosmetics to address and it needs the carbs synced but she's a runner- and let me tell you, after being used to an 80 GS450 this thing is a kick in the pants!

Comment

After a great Vacation

It is back to work on the bike project...I got my Tank and Side covers back from the painter and they look awesome. I will install the petcock, put the carbs back on and install my new brake lines today...I then have to wire up the new stator, and put the oil pan back on... I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment

For me, its replacing the rubber inserts on the rear hub of my '88 Hawk GT. It has a single sided swingarm which makes things alot more trouble than the conventional swingarms that I've been spoiled by. I was surprised to learn that replacement of the rubber inserts is incredibly common. When I opened mine up I found that 5 had worn away of the original 10. Those in the know, recommend unbolting the shock and removing the rear wheel to adjust the chain properly. What a PITA!
                    Willie
                    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

building a trailer for my 850L, to haul a engine home on.
                      V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Got my tail light yesterday. Gotta do a little soldering, shrink tubing and yanking wires through the frame.

Comment

yard equipment revolt!!!

This what i think they said this morning in the shed.
                          After some simple weeding, the wife and i planned to powerwash some items around the yard. Our friends powerwasher that has been at our house for a year, wouldn't start. Then the pullcord broke..My wife drove across town and borrowed my father in laws. Nearly new machine...Wouldn't start. I thought that it may have been angry due to tipping over in transport. Pulled the plug. Bone dry. I began to suspect carb issues due to the fact that it hadn't been started in a year and a half. As a last ditch effort to avoid carb gutting, i blew out the carb, and any visible ports with nitrogen. Next pull - success. Powerwashed, then onto the Weedwacker. It was suffering injury from being thrown across the yard in anger during its last use. (the darned machine had it gosh darn coming). It would only run on choke and the sparkplug /cap were damaged form the aforementioned inpromptu flight. Stole the leafblower plug, rigged the connection with a coiled coppper wire stabbed into the remaining plug wire, and proceeded to have no succsess. Pulled the carb several times, and found a cracked plastic manifold piece between the carb and intake port. Some creative crazy glue and sandpaper work cured its ills, and i weedwacked with a vengance...
                          Hopefull the gs , which resides in the garage didnt get the memo
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

And speaking of carburetors...

Bought this old jewel for a $100 off Ebay a few days ago and we picked it up this morning from the sellers, who live in gated community, about an hour and fifteen minutes from where we live. That's the first time I've ever had the person in the guard house make a call to the homeowner announcing they had guests arriving. This is Michigan, not some hoity-toity place in Calilifornia for Pete's sake.

The people that we bought it from were in the process of moving and asked one of the gentlemen to place the generator in the back of the car for us! No complaints from me and my back!

I spent part of the afternoon taking the carb apart three times trying to get it to stop leaking gas from the carb throat. (the carb had varnished after having sat quite a long time) The third time I took it apart I decided to shake the float as I knew the the rest of the carb was clean. Sure enough, it was saturated with varnished fuel so I whipped out the propane torch, one of my soldering guns, flux and solder and proceeded to desolder the hinge plate from the brass float as the leak was underneath the hinge. I punctured the pin hole with a small pick, flushed the heavily varnished inside with carb spray and re-soldered it all back together. It took me a few tries to get the hinge centered properly so as not to rub against the float bowl, but after a few tries we eventually did get it sealed up, reassembled and back on the engine. I un-clamped the fuel line I had pinched closed while the carb was being worked on, set her on the ground and she started on the second pull. Not to bad after what I figured was ten or so years of non use.

After the engine was warmed up I adjusted the carb and now she's a one pull wonder!

Last edited by rustybronco; 08-18-2013, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Moving right along with Saturdays project...

While I was preparing to go to work Friday morning the garage door opener decided to give up the ghost. I took it apart shortly after I got home Friday evening and found that the upper bushing next to the gear for driving the chain had worn out - taking the gear's shaft with it.

Being the 'frugal' bugger I am and having to work Saturday, I took the 3/4 th's worn away shaft with me, welded it up with the MIG at work, figuring it would save a me a bit of time after I got home by not having to weld it when I finally did. The shaft had a couple of low spots so I hit them with brazing rod, chucked it into my 'corded' drill, lathed down the O.D. with a file and gave it a high polish with a little bit of crocus cloth. The only problem left was what to do with the worn away bushing. Well, I did have a spare brass pipe bushing or two lying around. I took one, drilled a half inch hole in the middle, cut and ground it to the proper length. The threaded portion was a wee bit too large to fit in hole the old bushing sat in, but no problem, we have bench grinder to make short work of things like that. I ground about one half the threads diameter away, took a C-clamp and a socket, pressed the newly made bushing into the old top plate, greased the shaft and bushing, re-assembled the repaired piece back into the opener and connected the chain up to it.

How long it will last? For the time being only the good Lord knows, but it's working perfectly at the moment and I suspect it will still be working for the next several years.
                              Any takers as to whether or not it will be?

Last edited by rustybronco; 08-19-2013, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Worked on a honda v65... wow great bike easy to synchronize the carbs but man what a pain in the ass to put the carbs back in. The springs kept popping out. Got it done.

Comment

Working...
                                X