No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled the oil pump and gear out of one of my spare 16v 750 engines to pass on to a member here. Didn't take any pics, it's tough when your hands are all oily..... It went well. I thought I'd have some some difficulty getting the clutch hub nut off, but, luckily, it was only finger tight.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

i am currently working to upgrade the bottom end of my enfield. the oem engine parts are crap. i have the crankcase off the bike and split in two. the decision is between balancing the oem crank with new big-end bearing and top of the line connecting rod or buy an entirely newly machined and fully assembled crank from a manufacturer in england.

other riders say that the english product produces far less vibration and on a thumper, that be important.

Comment

The GL650i Silverwing has been keeping me busy lately. Finally got far enough to put the back cover on the motor last night. Need to test/adjust the ignition this evening and pull the front cover to check out the oil pump chain. That'll be the last of the work on the engine. After that, I can move on to rebuilding the brakes, inspecting the Prolink suspension, and just cleaning things up so I can start riding it sometime this summer.

Comment

today was a good day. The USPS dropped off a huge box of parts from a guy that is parting out about 15 GSes. In my box was a front brake master, clutch perch and lever, complete headlight assembly, turn signals, rear tail cowl, throttle cables, fork bolts, and a pair of grips. So I have been busy taking the master apart to rebuild it. And now I am getting ready to drop the front end so I can put new fork oil in and ditch the after market air fork kit.

Comment

well i decided to do valve clearance today a task which i have never had to do myself b4.... well looks as tho i wont be doing this today because after i got the cover off i immediately noticed that the #1 intake lobe is gouged all to heck and same with the #4 exhaust... the intake being the worse of the two and i havent rotated it yet but i think the cause of this is that the po tried to do the work and had them to tight? there is only 8k on the bike! what else could have caused this? and does anyone one have a good deal on used cams? preferably mild aftermarket but if the price is right on stock that would be good too.. i wanna ride it is so beautiful out!

Comment

Originally posted by wesmoon View Post
              well i decided to do valve clearance today a task which i have never had to do myself b4.... well looks as tho i wont be doing this today because after i got the cover off i immediately noticed that the #1 intake lobe is gouged all to heck and same with the #4 exhaust... the intake being the worse of the two and i havent rotated it yet but i think the cause of this is that the po tried to do the work and had them to tight? there is only 8k on the bike! what else could have caused this? and does anyone one have a good deal on used cams? preferably mild aftermarket but if the price is right on stock that would be good too.. i wanna ride it is so beautiful out!
              What bike to you have?
              Post in the parts wanted section. I bet you find some.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

ya ill get around to it! but is a 82 gs1100 e

Comment

Originally posted by wesmoon View Post
                  ya ill get around to it! but is a 82 gs1100 e
                  Where are you at?
                  I may have a pair from an 83.
                  Damaged cam lobes usually come from oil starvation or improper break in.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i am in wausau wisconsin. thanks for the info

Comment

Finnished the carb cleaning today, yay! Still waiting for replacements for th screws I had to change from Phillips to flathead with a die grinder, Boo!
                      now I'll get to bench synch them, and beg, borrow, or steal a manometer.

Comment

I tried cleaning up some of the contacts that I can't change out on my wiring harness last night. Tonight I hope to put it back on the bike and finish changing connectors. Hopefully I'll have it running again by the weekend.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Well yesterday I fixed the bottom basement step, and just now I almost broke my neck cause I'm not used to there not being a big hole it it.
                          "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

When a son went to Iraq last March we made a deal to ride the Dempster Highway when he gets back so that puts me to work to get the gs ready. I've had it on the track these past 5 years, not totally race-prepped but used for track days, so this past few days I have done the front forks and swapped the drag bars for Superbike bars. I have the front calipers apart waiting for pads. I'll do the front wheel bearings this week. When the front end is together I'll get new SS brake lines. I did the valves and I'm swapping Dyna coils onto it. I'll do the rear caliper and go to a SS brake line. The shocks and tires are good. I need a tank and have one coming that will need some work. I may get it started this summer but likely won't ride because I'm off on a 6 week trip by car. My goal is to have it the best it can be when he comes back and we do the trip next summer.

Can anyone here recommend a luggage rack and where to get one?
                            There is nothing more dangerous than governing in the name of a theory.---Edmund Burke

Comment

polishing the new gsxr top triple.... bout to put the 91 bottom triple for sale on the ole ebay....

Comment

i worked on tearing down my 86 honda 250r quad only to have a guy that is running the monster truck show to call me and ask if i wanted to ride in the intermission races lol. i said hell ya so me and my buddie got 7 days to put it all back together and get it running. cant wait

Comment

Working...
                                X