No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look like the usual carbs attached to a craigslist bike ad that read "just needs the carbs tuned"
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Adjusted my headlight yesterday right before I left for an evening ride. Word of advice to everyone don't try this while its still day light. I knew that the headlight needed to be pointed up slightly so I thought what the heck I'll just give it a little lift real quick and it will be fine. I had planned on bringing the 12mm wrench with me to make any more adjustments it might need once it got dark. Well I forgot the wrench and as it started to get dark I couldn't see my headlight. I leaned up over the front of the bike to check and it was working. As it got darker I could tell the adjustment was off a bit. My low beam was working like a weak high beam. I could see way up the road with it and it was blinding on coming traffic. My high beam was working light a spot light for enemy aircraft. It was pointed almost straight up into the trees.n I road the 20 miles back home and adjusted I perfectly in the dark this time and road another 80 miles.

Comment

@StubbornDutchman ...oh boy those look pretty bad! -way worse than anything I've had apart...I can see the green corrosion on the jets and I fear you must break things to powder getting them out...I'd be tempted not to remove anything you don'treally have to...at least without soaking in a penetrating oil for a long long time.
        You will be the goto expert if you can get them going again...

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
          @StubbornDutchman ...oh boy those look pretty bad! -way worse than anything I've had apart...I can see the green corrosion on the jets and I fear you must break things to powder getting them out...I'd be tempted not to remove anything you don'treally have to...at least without soaking in a penetrating oil for a long long time.
          You will be the goto expert if you can get them going again...

I hope to start this weekend. Gonna place some orders tonight and pick up a few supplies. I'ma try to get them going myself. I think/hope I can.
          Also, this is the first time I've ever pulled carbs fully apart. And the first time i've worked on a bank of 4 carbs. I've been reading like crazy and pretty much consumed and printed everything on BikeCliffs website.

Comment

Fixed my tach today. The needle was bouncing around after a few miles of riding. So I took off the cable and it was bone dry inside. Previous owner replaced it with a new one but never lubed the new one. Plus the way he routed it had put a sharp bend on the cable. So I rerouted and lubed the cable. Plus I removed the tach itself and sprayed some lube into the tach around where the cable attaches. Put it all back together and it works like a Swiss watch now. Feels great when all the gizmos on my old UJM are working like they did when new.

Comment

Started my new 24" two stage snow blower today. Also sprayed the working parts with Teflon I think I'm gonna make some plastic skids as I'm not to hip on the metal ones it has
              sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
              1994 gsxr1100w
              1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post
                Thats soon gonna be your daily driver where you live eh?

Comment

Probably but I'm hoping the if I buy it it won't snow much thing.
                  sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
                  1994 gsxr1100w
                  1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

I love living in the Desert, I never have to shovel, or blow the sunshine..

Comment

Did my fair share of snow shoveling when I was a kid. Have to say I DON'T miss it at all!

Comment

Originally posted by StubbornDutchman View Post
                        I hope to start this weekend. Gonna place some orders tonight and pick up a few supplies. I'ma try to get them going myself. I think/hope I can.
                        Also, this is the first time I've ever pulled carbs fully apart. And the first time i've worked on a bank of 4 carbs. I've been reading like crazy and pretty much consumed and printed everything on BikeCliffs website.
                        it's the Getting them apart that I find the hardest. When I see green de-zinced brass, and powdery aluminum....patience,heat,impact,oil, properly-matched screw-driver all combined and it still might break...

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                          it's the Getting them apart that I find the hardest. When I see green de-zinced brass, and powdery aluminum....patience,heat,impact,oil, properly-matched screw-driver all combined and it still might break...
                          I picked up a gallon of penetrating oil last night. I'm going to soak them for a day or two or three before I start anything. I also purchased some JIS drivers. Getting everything on my side is a good place to start. Then I just have to hope and pray for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatDane View Post
                            Did my fair share of snow shoveling when I was a kid. Have to say I DON'T miss it at all!
                            I could make $50+ a day when I was a kid! I was always getting in trouble for breaking the shovel trying to get ice up.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Snow Man

Don't think the Teflon spray will do much, snow is Very Abrasive.
                              The Factory Metal skids are pretty cheap, they don't last long.
                              Plastic Skid Shoes would disappear right away.
                              Since there is Rotational Torque, one side wears out fast, rotate skid shoes every year.
                              I've replaced mine with Hard Thick (Carbon Steel?) aftermarket skids, still lots left.
                              Put the included spare Shear Pins and 2 wrenchs in a rolled up zip -lock bag and Tie-Strap it to the Handle Bars.
                              When you shear a pin, you don't have to go looking for stuff in a snow storm.
                              Get a 3' threaded rod from Hardware Store and cut a bunch to length for more Shear Pins.
                              Stay away from gravel and the Shear Pins will last a long time.
                              Always top up Gas and Test Fire the night before the storm.
                              Change Oil & Put in Fuel Stabilizer in the spring

Being a Power Tool, its also Part Toy.
                              I drove around the backyard in a spiral and built a Big Snow Pile.

Now a magnet or every kid in the neighborhood.
                              Best kids toy there is;
                              :They can cooperate to make stuff, or play gangs - take over the tower.
                              :Make Catwalks to get around it.
                              :Make tunnels through it (must meet my safety specs and have 2 exits).
                              :Make a BobSled/Snowboard run down one side.
                              :No Batteries Required, kids provide the Energy & Inventiveness.
                              :I can watch The Show from the kitchen window or Security Cam.
                              Had to install more Nighttime Flood Lamps.
                              Have to comfort the odd kid who falls off.
                              Then have to Feed & Water The Horde when they had enough and come in.
                              Over the years its evolved into a Snow Board Terrain Park.
                              Time to give the Snow Blower Key to the boys,,..
                              All part of the (sleepless) Ultimate Parenting experience,,..
                              Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2013, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Time for some fun... pulled the clutch lever in to leave for work Friday morning and it stayed pulled in

Noone in Brisbane has a cable in stock so it's ordered and I should have it tomorrow.

Today I pulled the sprocket cover and tank off to get the old cable out ready for the new one, and discovered the front sprocket nut was loose again. WTF? Torqued it up good and solid last time. Thought fine, some loctite and torque it up and it'll be good to go... wrong! Turns out the thread is stripped I suspect it's been on the way out for a while now as every time I open that cover up it's loose... will have to see if they have one in stock tomorrow along with a new lock washer... my guess is another day's delay... at least the thread on the shaft looks good.

The clutch cable broke around 1/4 way down from the lever end, so I suspect my routing was possibly a bit wrong and it had too much of a kink in it. Will double check my routing again when I install the new one.

I also noticed I'm up for a new rear tyre again (commute killing the centre of the Sport Demon just as good as the Scorpion MT90A/T) so I need to organise that this week as well.

And, to add insult to injury, I noticed that the rear sprocket is quite wobbly on the rear axle... so new rear wheel bearing time too! Pulled the wheel out tonight to double check and yep, definitely screwed.

A tip for those considering the cheap bearings from Pyramid Parts on eBay... don't do it! That's only about 20,000km's out of them... next time my front tyre needs replacing I'm thinking I'll swap them out as well but they're good for the moment.

At least I know the bearings are in stock...
                                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X