No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished porting and polishing the cylinder head, painted and placed in the oven right after the wife pulled out the tenderloin for dinner.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2014, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Didn't really require too much wrenching but I drove 6 hours last night to pick up a GS650 that my buddy wanted. Got home at 3am. Hard to wake up 3 hours later for work.... but he was originally asking $1000. We gave him $350 and loaded it up. Pretty rough condition but it'll work. Anyone got a set of locks and keys? And an airbox?

Comment

Originally posted by CartoonLifeStyle View Post
        I replaced the intake manifolds as they were well passed their sell by date. Now I'm trying to set the pilot screws on the carbs to get a smooth tickover, Anyone know a trick on how to adjust the inner two carbs without having to remove the tank each time?

I screwed the all the way in and the out 2 1/2 turns but it revs way to high, about 3000 rpm.
        I would try unbolting it and placing a towel under the rear of the tank.
        Try the procedure in my signature for adjusting the screws.

Comment

Tapped ALL threaded holes in the cylinder head including spark plugs.
          Some pic's of the notched cylinder for the camshaft clearance and some ports that were enlarged also.

Cam cover finished.

Comment

Today was chain, sprockets, and oil day... my chain suddenly got very loose the other day, or at least it seemed to... was brushing the centre stand making an annoying noise and investigation showed how bad it had stretched (again). My recommendation is to avoid SSS chains, this thing never seemed to stop stretching and it was inconsistent.

In addition, there are too many stiff links so after adjusting it as best I could, I could actually feel the tight/loose spots as I rode which was quite unnerving.

So today I put the new chain and sprockets on and I've gone with "Esjot" brand through Metal Gear, same place I got my disc and pads from which I'm quite happy with.

The link I chose to break on the old chain only had two of four O rings left, and take a look at the teeth on the old front sprocket in particular...

This was my first go with a master link clip type chain, the SSS is a rivet type which I don't particularly like. I remembered to make the open end of the clip face away from the direction of travel and I put some Threebond on after some advice from the one of the Katana guys. Hopefully I've got the link on properly!

I now have a spare master link in with the tools along with some 15 amp fuses too...

And hopefully this will solve my oil consumption issues! Took 200mL of oil the other day in about 250km or less... not good! No blue smoke, no smell of oil burning, and no leaks to speak of... but it still uses that much oil

See how she goes tomorrow...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Wow, pete, that old chain and sprockets were way past end of service life. (They look filthy too, you should really take a course in chain maintenance, your chain will last a lot longer.)
              Hope you have better luck with the new ones.
              You are well aware, of course, that you should not be using anywhere near that amount of oil. It has to be going somewhere. I suggest you search for root cause.

Comment

Swapped out the Ohlins for some Fox's ;

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  Wow, pete, that old chain and sprockets were way past end of service life. (They look filthy too, you should really take a course in chain maintenance, your chain will last a lot longer.)
                  Hope you have better luck with the new ones.
                  You are well aware, of course, that you should not be using anywhere near that amount of oil. It has to be going somewhere. I suggest you search for root cause.
                  Guilty as charged! The last couple of months I gave up trying to maintain that chain... every time I cleaned and lubed it it seemed to grow two extra stiff links no matter what I did... 99% positive it was the chain that destroyed the sockets and not vice versa.

While I only did the commute today the new chain and sprockets feel great

As for the oil, yeah no idea on what's happening there. No drips under the bike, so it's not leaking.

There's barely 20 or 30mL max in the breather catch tank and it's more oily condensation than actual oil, so it's not hiding in there either.

No blue smoke or reports of it from guys following me, even when getting up it at 6K to 9K RPM in the twisties.

However, one of the Katana guys had a similar issue but much worse using the exact same oil, whereas with the Penrite HPR15 his motor is spot on.

Given some Google results, I have a feeling the Motul is pretty well useless after about 2000km's anyway going by what various people have said.

So at this stage, I'm just going to try the Penrite and see if all is resolved...

Originally posted by pontiacstogo View Post
                  Swapped out the Ohlins for some Fox's ;
                  And how do they feel Peter?
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Wife's 2004 Toyota Echo's CEL came on. Checked the codes and they are P0441 P0442 and P0446. I checked the VSV on the carbon canister and it is working fine. So I checked the gas cap. Seems like a bunch of crud and rust where the rubber seats on the filler neck so I cleaned it off and cleared the codes. Hope it stays away…… The car uses an intrusive EVAP system so it can detect holes that are half a millimetre in size.

I hate EVAP systems…...

Comment

Electric Panel GS1000G

Just getting started on my electrical panel. A little closer to getting this project going.

Comment

Reinstalled the engine, connected the cables, installed carb, checked for spark, added gas, kicked it a few times and wambambambam then nothing. Got it to run a little a few times and got tired of kicking. Carb adj. in the future, all this on a 80 DS80.
                        V
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

fired up my 550 with a 650 top I had been picking away at all winter. Was a little rough at first but eventually it was running on all cylinders. I was expecting a lot more tinkering around with carbs or whatever before it ran as well as it did. First ride of the season first ride on the new engine, man what a feeling. If only this rain would stop.

Comment

Added some more parts to the ready box.

Comment

My friend and I took my bike apart today.

Carbs out, and engine apart.

"I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

All Day Maintenance

Installed V&H 4-1 pipes and Progressive shocks--pics forthcoming. Also, R2 the main jets to compensate for my new pipes. Found some discrepancies with the Airbox and fuel hose. Got to remove the carbs again tomorrow...but those new pipes sound awesome!

Ed
                                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                                X