No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took the clutch cover off the Cooley to see if the tick I heard was a loose hub nut..and it was. Tightened it back up and new gasket installed.

Then did the valve adjustments and a new valve cover gasket installed. Also replaced the tach drive oring. Then got some rubbing compound out and hand rubbed all the body panel, tailpiece, fairing, and tank out to a nice clean glistening shine again.

Topped it all of with fresh Rotella T and a new filter.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

And I forgot two things....scrubbed up the Cooley seat and gave it a Mother Back To Black treatment....looks like new again!!! She got new brake pads today also.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Finished assembling a head I built for a guy in Texas. Will ship tomorrow. Ray.

Comment

Tried/mildly succeeded repairing the lower left fairing after it met a propane space heater the day I bought the bike. I also looked at it and pretended to ride it.

Comment

You'll have to excuse my crap welding... I needed to adjust the clutch on the 450 but the recessed adjuster and lock nut was giving me grief so I decided to copy the Motion Pro carb sync tool and made a clutch adjustment tool.

A bit of tubing, 10mm socket, scrap steel, angle grinder, and a welder...

It isn't pretty but it reduced hours of cursing (trying to get a spanner on the lock nut while holding the adjuster still) down to literally about 10 seconds of adjustment time...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Carb Bath Today

Carbs are all apart to time to start the 24 hour soaking.

Comment

Replacing Intake O-Rings

Was able to get all of the screws loosened up on the intake boots. Only one gave me an issue with the impact. Lucky it was the easiest to reach. Got out the dremel and cut a slot then used the flat blade on the impact and that did the trick.

Comment

Put my carbs back on with new boots and orings, and fired it up. Sounds a lot better. I did a full rebuild last June but one pilot jet clogged again and I found quite a bit of Ethanol corrosion. This time ran them through the new HF ultrasonic cleaner, replaced the petcock with new OEM, and new OEM fuel hoses. Also mounted up the new Shinko 230 on the front. First time mounting a bike tire, not too bad. Only one small rim ding. After I swap the rear tire it will be ready for the first 55 degree+ day.... Also put in a new Sylvania Silverstar bulb with new correct headlight bucket bolts. Refreshed antiseize on exhaust flange bolts too. Pretty sure they had never been out, but they all loosened up easily.
                  sigpic
                  09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                  1983 GS1100e
                  82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                  1980 GS1260
                  Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Pulled a few dents out of my gas tank with a stud welder I bought from Harbor Freight.

Comment

I just had to post this.

Someone at work today threw out one of those forced air propane heaters. You know, the ones that look like a torpedo. Well this particular unit was a 120,000-175,000 btu heater that supposedly had a bad igniter in it.

Sometimes you just have to wonder how people ever get through life without ever having to think

Last edited by rustybronco; 02-27-2014, 09:58 PM.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Trying to get the fresh Lycoming in

Trying to get the fresh Lycoming in, big 4 cylinder. The last one lasted about 12 years.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                          You'll have to excuse my crap welding... I needed to adjust the clutch on the 450 but the recessed adjuster and lock nut was giving me grief so I decided to copy the Motion Pro carb sync tool and made a clutch adjustment tool.

A bit of tubing, 10mm socket, scrap steel, angle grinder, and a welder...

It isn't pretty but it reduced hours of cursing (trying to get a spanner on the lock nut while holding the adjuster still) down to literally about 10 seconds of adjustment time...
                          Those Chinese tools are so cheap, I have a special drawer in my roll-away tool kit for special "modified" ones. Yours are nicer than any I have done with hammer, anvil or grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                            I just had to post this.

Someone at work today threw out one of those forced air propane heaters. You know, the ones that look like a torpedo. Well this particular unit was a 120,000-175,000 btu heater that supposedly had a bad igniter in it.

Sometimes you just have to wonder how people ever get through life without ever having to think

Thats bad really serious bad.

Comment

Especially coming from someone who buys, repairs and sells classic vehicles.

If you can hear it sparking and see it arcing other than at the tip of the spark plug, why would you condemn the igniter as bad?

A minute and a half is all it took to find the problem. Six stinking screws...
                              Last edited by rustybronco; 02-28-2014, 08:56 AM.
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                                Those Chinese tools are so cheap, I have a special drawer in my roll-away tool kit for special "modified" ones. Yours are nicer than any I have done with hammer, anvil or grinder.
                                Haha cheers Jim... my welding's pretty bad but slowly improving...
                                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X