No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forks and front wheel are back on the bike but I still need to clean the fork oil from the rotors and then get the calipers back on.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Messed with this stupid misfire on my thunderbird today.

I've installed new wires and plugs, swapped coils, changed out the intake for a newer one with new gaskets, and I STILL have this stupid misfire on the same 2 cylinders.

Only thing it could be now is the injectors or valves, and I would have swapped the injectors around to confirm but by then I was frustrated.

It comes and goes but now that the misfire has completely clogged my cats the car has no power.

I went to the scrap yard to get the cats off the cougar who's transmission I snagged previously but in my hurry to remove the tranny before I guess I had ripped the flange off the one cat.

So now I need to pull the assembly off my car, saw off the flange and weld it to the assembly I just picked up.

On top of all that the alternator all of a sudden isn't charging the battery, yay me!

I'm also dying to get the carbs and tanks cleaned out on my TZ and Skunk, but this weather has been wet and snowing and drizzling and cold.

Come on spring time!!!!!
      Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2014, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Finished adjusting the camshafts last night and installed the cam cover. Today, I installed the carbs, added some gas and fired her up!

Comment

^^Cool Man!

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Last two or three afternoons spent welding up the trailer frame but had to halt early due to back problems and inhaling zinc fumes - nasty stuff. Even with grinding off the galvanising there's still enough left to fume a fair bit.
            Reason I used galvanised flat bar was there is a pile of it lying around the back of the building that I'd squirreled away for just this kind of thing.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Saltymonk's twin pot brake conversion for single brake bikes…

Same Kawasaki calipers, with an even bigger Honda disc.
              Don't know how well it works, I have no Kawsaki banjo bolt!
              Last edited by tkent02; 04-26-2014, 07:51 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My freshly rejuvenated GS450GA

Finished my '83 GS450GA today. New stator, regulator/rectifier and starter. Battery's finally charging and the rectifier is rectifying.
                Been working on this thing in my living room since I brought it home last fall. Just got back from a very enjoyable hour-long ride. This bike reminds me a lot of a Honda Helix. Being a 2-speed automatic, you just roll the throttle on and go. Put it in high gear and forget about shifting.

The suspension is really plush, but the bike still handles well. Got to cut off that little post on the side stand - it keeps scraping in fast left-hand turns.
                Anyway, here she is:

Comment

After getting the new (evil ) engine fired up last night, it was time to take it for a 50+ mile break-in run today. Snowing yesterday afternoon and last night with most of that gone today and a nice cool 40-45 degrees for break-in.
                  I'll post a short video in the "Anyone go for a ride?" thread in a short while...

Comment

Installed my new FORK BRACE. Looks pretty good now let's test it at speed; not today of course...it's too windy!

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Installed the new pilot jets and reassembled the carbs....Suzie Q lives and breaths fire. Now to tune the old girl up.
                      V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

6 or 7 year old grease had turned to goo on the 850's front caliper pins, causing dragging front brakes and pulsing once they got hot. I'm surprised the OEM stuff turned sour like that. New boots on the pins too. One of the pads has worn pretty thin as a result of the dragging. They were an old mix and match set anyway. I only dissembled to diagnose. I'll put them back together later, since I haven't yet recovered flexibility in the knee after the surgery.

I also removed carbs for a long overdue cleaning.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Ed, i have some of those foam mats as well.
                          Not having a lift they work surprisingly well when crawling around.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Floor Foam

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                            Ed, i have some of those foam mats as well.
                            Not having a lift they work surprisingly well when crawling around.
                            I needed something to protect the carpet while staying here in Alamogordo. My daughter was gonna get rid of that solid piece of wood and I gladly took it off her hands. Works great for putting the bike on center stand.

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by handkphil View Post
                              Finished my '83 GS450GA today. New stator, regulator/rectifier and starter. Battery's finally charging and the rectifier is rectifying.
                              Been working on this thing in my living room since I brought it home last fall. Just got back from a very enjoyable hour-long ride. This bike reminds me a lot of a Honda Helix. Being a 2-speed automatic, you just roll the throttle on and go. Put it in high gear and forget about shifting.

The suspension is really plush, but the bike still handles well. Got to cut off that little post on the side stand - it keeps scraping in fast left-hand turns.
                              Anyway, here she is:

Looks nice. Suzuki GSes seem to have enough low end torque to work fine with little shifting, if you aren't in a hurry.
                              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Twist and Go

Originally posted by themess View Post
                                Looks nice. Suzuki GSes seem to have enough low end torque to work fine with little shifting, if you aren't in a hurry.
                                True, but mine happens to be the "Suzukimatic", or GS450GA model, which came equipped with a 2-speed automatic transmission. No clutch to worry about. You can take off from a dead stop in either 1st or second gear. If you take off in 1st you will need to upshift to 2nd gear around 25-30 mph.
                                You can also just leave the bike in 2nd all then time. Acceleration is just a bit slower this way, but no shifting is required - it's just twist and go.

Comment

Working...
                                X