No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up a 2002 TTR225 for my wife for $400 so we can go dirt biking together. Only has 55psi compression. Time to rip 'er apart and see why.

Also pulled apart and dipped the carb from my KTM500. It seems to be an aftermarket part. Anyone here ever heard of LECTRON flat slide carbs? Any good?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2014, 11:41 AM.

Comment

The only Lectron carbs i have seen are on dragbikes and they were not really suitable for street use. They were not very effecient unless WFO.
      It wasn't a sand drag bike was it?
      Some good info here.http://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/technical.html
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
        Looks nice. Suzuki GSes seem to have enough low end torque to work fine with little shifting, if you aren't in a hurry.
        indeed! I can start out in 2nd on my 400 when it's slippery.

that's an interesting bike-(the 450GA) and you've really polished her up!

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          The only Lectron carbs i have seen are on dragbikes and they were not really suitable for street use. They were not very effecient unless WFO.
          It wasn't a sand drag bike was it?
          Some good info here.http://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/technical.html
          I doubt it was a sand bike. But I guess its possible. It came from brantford. Which as you know is a little short on the sandy side...

It's not a street bike though. I do know the previous owner ice raced it on an oval track in the winter. And likely a circuit dirt track in the summer. It's got a race suspension setup as well. And a few other toys. It was missing the piston when i bought it. I'm going to split the cases and see what it all needs...

Comment

Finally finished the welding on the Redneck Trailer and applied a coat of 30% phosphoric acid as rust-converter. Will wash it down tomorrow and clean up some of the crap off the benches. I've turned into a messy worker.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Saltymonk's twin pot brake conversion for single brake bikes…

Same Kawasaki calipers, with an even bigger Honda disc.
              Don't know how well it works, I have no Kawsaki banjo bolt!
              You must report back how well they work Tom!

I went through the measurements a while back with Dan and it looks like that will work on the 450E/S forks as well, so it still sits in the back of my mind as a possible upgrade.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Took the engine down to the base gasket searching for what was causing issues. Found a few "kiss marks" on the pistons and the valves. 3of 4 intake valves were stuck open. 3 of 4 pistons had marks. hummmm.

Comment

Put new brakes on my Ranger FX4 cause I promised the seller I would. Pick up my "new" car this weekend! Looking forward to saving ~$600 a month on fuel and payments. I gotta stop driving so much.

Comment

Pulled off the power steering pump, alternator, AC compressor, and fuel line from the Jeep today. Started loosening the bolts to the fuel rail but the rear bolt on the passenger side wouldn't budge even with liquid wrench so I'll wait on that until I pull the engine out. All I have left now is to remove the starter and then work on unbolting the transmission and engine mounts.

And I had an unfortunate oops moment tonight when I dropped the flashlight into a bucket of antifreeze. I didn't feel like digging through it so I'll wait until I drain the fluid and just buy a new one since it cost a grand total of $2 at Harbor Freight.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Ran Suzie Q for a while today and found out that with the high flow gears for the oil pump, she is putting out more that 20lbs oil pressure. I also found out that the oil pressure sensor gasket needs replacing, leaks like a sieve. Now to finish the wiring.

Also got my little CL70 puddle jumper going today and rode it around a bit.
                      It needs a few things but should be fun.
                      V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

....my back mainly. But I did do some yard cleanup, and scrapped some electric motors, and came away with enough to buy a battery.....at long last.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Nice flagstone there Dorkburger. Up here in Ottawa, Canada it's been a long winter, rain all this week and cold temperatures. Got the bike out several times though in the last few weeks.

Comment

The flagstone looks great, Glen.
                            Got any more pics?
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks guys. Ironically the stone was a relatively economical way to replace the makeshift deck we put up a few years ago. Pavers were out of the question moneywise. A quick Craigslist search turned up a pool installer looking to purge his yard of leftover materials, but as usual it involved borrowing a trailer and much manual labor. Still a lot of wofk left to do. Steve, i can post pics when its done....im hoping to be nearly complete this weekend....And put my new battery in the GS.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

First time doing some electrolysis rust removal. Non motorcycle related item....but practice for the future.

MMM bubbly!

Comment

Working...
                                X