what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wymple View Post
    Pulled the dizzy off my nephews 48 Chrysler and went thru it for him. Kids can't get old stuff to run, yet it's so simple.
    Hey, you HAVE a nephew who is into old stuff. Take it as a win.....And just what is a dizzy?
    I assume its something to do with the distrubutor.....
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Yeah, the distributor is deep down on the side of the engine, hard to work on and set points & stuff. Wires were old & crappy as well so we just pulled it and went to the bench. All perfect now.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
        Pulled the dizzy off my nephews 48 Chrysler and went thru it for him. Kids can't get old stuff to run, yet it's so simple.
        which model was it the Crown Imperial??

Comment

Welded a couple of thick washers onto the passenger right-side footpeg, to repair years and miles of vibration-induced wear/elongation of the holes the pin goes through. I'll do the other side in the next couple of days. Tomorrow I'll rebuild the rear brake lever clevis pin hole for the same reason, and try to do something with the RH rider footpeg - different fixing, same problem.
          Passengers complained when their footwear melted on the pipe
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Finally got some good work done on the XS650 brat build I've been working on. But still so much to do...
            1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
            2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Today I rejetted the carbs, check valve adjustment, install new NGK Iridium IX plugs and K&N air filter, and install an APE extra plate clutch kit on my 1984 GS1150E. Tomorrow is new chain and sprockets.

Hopefully my new clutch cable shows up on Monday and I will be riding again and be able to do a carb balance at work this week(niegbours think the bike to loud to do it at the townhome).

Comment

I installed the banjo bolt brake pressure switch. I did the front and rear. Works fantastic! Took me about an hour to install and bleed out the brakes. It only takes a light touch on either the front brake lever or the rear brake pedal and the brake light pops on. The mechanical switches are history. I also repacked my baffle and sounds much better now. The old fiberglass packing was like ummm crap, lol yeah.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Cleaned and painted some more parts for the dormant for 17 years GS1100E project. Picked up the new mounted tires/rims yesterday on the way to work.

Comment

Replaced the petcock on my 1981 GS400, rebuild it a couple of times last year and it kept smashinbg the metal disc inside??

running great now

Comment

Worked on my '83 GS1100ES. Found out I need some fuel tube O-rings. That's what I get for letting it sit for 3 years.
                      Kevin
                      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Pulled the gas tank from my Suburban. Needs a fuel pump and I needed to get the code off it before ordering the new one.

40 gallon tank....

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                          Pulled the gas tank from my Suburban. Needs a fuel pump and I needed to get the code off it before ordering the new one.

40 gallon tank....

Take the filler neck out and cut off about 4-5 inches off the inside neck, make it a 45 gallon tank lol
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

After replacing the oil pan gasket and performing an oil change on my 550 and then knocking out the rear wheel bearings on Charmayne's, we finally pulled the heads off of the Jeep's engine. I won't be able to get a loaner valve spring compressor for it until next payday due to other priorities but I will at least pull the cams off this week.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

A little work done today on the '80 1100E basket case project. (17 years since last registered/running?)

Painted: The rear brake caliper, brake stay, rotor, swing arm, rear rim, chain adjusters and drive sprocket.
                              Greased: Swing arm bearings, rear wheel bearings.
                              Polished: Axle and swing arm bolts/washers/nuts, rim, sprocket hub, all old bolts/threads, locking tabs.
                              Surfaced the rotor.
                              Mounted all of the above parts.

Here are some before, during and after pictures of the rear wheel assembly... (34 years of corrosion and rust, YUK!)

Comment

Finished off welding-repairing the footpegs on the '80, and fitted a new revcounter oil drive seal. Noticed the cable drive shaft is fubared so will need a new one. I checked the others I have and they're all the same. I think I'll be looking seriously at getting rid of the mechanical tacho and putting a bung in there, thus curing a recurring oil leak weak spot.
                                ---- Dave
                                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X