No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earlier this year, I replaced the original rear brake fluid. Soon after the rarely used rear brake began occasionally dragging. I pulled off the master cylinder and found the piston20140826_221630.jpg hanging up. Disassembled the unit cleaned it, dried out the water with the heat gun, reassembled, and bled. Good to go.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Removed the clown bars from the XS650 Special and fitted a much lower and more comfortable anonymous set from some middleweight with cast-in lead bar weights. Whether the bar-end weights will make any difference I don't know, as they'd likely be more suited to a buzzy four.
      Wasn't pleased to find the clutch lever securing bracket was broken - new one needed there, then.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Got in the 04/05 GSX-R rear shock I am going to use for my 83 550ES.
        Disassembled, cleaned, prepped, and painted the shock and all of the mounting hardware/linkages I have for it from my parts bike.
        Should be full cured tonight so I can reassemble, refill, and bleed it. Then I can start pulling the rear of the 550 apart in preparation for the transplant.
        I also started sanding the rims I am going to paint up for the 550. I hate sanding rims. After 10 minutes my fingers want to call it a day. I need to make a sanding ball or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          Removed the clown bars from the XS650 Special and fitted a much lower and more comfortable anonymous set from some middleweight with cast-in lead bar weights. Whether the bar-end weights will make any difference I don't know, as they'd likely be more suited to a buzzy four.
          Wasn't pleased to find the clutch lever securing bracket was broken - new one needed there, then.
          I helped my son do the same for his V-Star 250. Did you have to deal with the extreme angle of the front brake reservoir? If so what did you do? I'm considering searching on Ebay for late model Yamaha master cylinders with a more standard reservoir angle. Also have to deal with mirrror posts being angled inward at near 45 degrees.

I also swapped out the stock headlamp on my 1000EN for a Hella unit. Much better optics than the Stanley unit.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
            I helped my son do the same for his V-Star 250. Did you have to deal with the extreme angle of the front brake reservoir? If so what did you do? I'm considering searching on Ebay for late model Yamaha master cylinders with a more standard reservoir angle. Also have to deal with mirrror posts being angled inward at near 45 degrees.

I also swapped out the stock headlamp on my 1000EN for a Hella unit. Much better optics than the Stanley unit.
            No, the master cylinder on this one is fairly normal, but it needs an overhaul anyway, as the return spring seems deader than a doorpost.
            I'll likely put a Deauville m/c on it, as they're the flavour of the month for me - right bore size, adjustable-span lever, comfy fit, fairly new, parts easily available.
            Yes, I noticed there's some sort of horrible sealed beam masquerading as a headlight - that will go in the bin and almost any H4 halogen lamp unit will be an improvement over that, anyway.
            ---- Dave
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Got some new shoes for my recent GS purchase...

Removing the old tires, I noticed the date codes...

2000 front/2001 rear

Was probably also the last time the drive splines were lubed...

Not sure what was in the tires, but it smelled like week-old sweaty a$$...

Comment

Had new shoes put on SuzieQ and replaced the rear break pads, new wheel bearings installed.
                Almost ready for the PNW rally.

V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Well, had an unexpected replacement of starter today, after it failed yesterday. I'll take the old one apart tomorrow, but I expect to find worn-out brushes as I don't recall ever replacing them on that old one.
                  Other 'wrenching' involved blocking up rat holes - smelly little sods got in via a drainpipe hole I'd cut years ago and had temporarily blocked up with a bit of timber. They'd pushed the timber through the wall and taken up residence in what will be a toilet when I'm finished. I'm kind of disappointed in the cats - they're usually pretty good at killing anything rodenty, but they missed this one.
                  ---- Dave

Comment

Took the top clamp off (triple clamp in motocross) and repainted it and the headlamp mounts black to match the gauges and headlight. Got some hex head button head screws to put it back together at the low torque points. Looks trick. Not sure about my painting skills but i did do a very reasonable job. Still waiting on my new bars, brake lamp switch, carb hangers, bowl gaskets, and carb o-ring kit.

Comment

Changed out the front wheel on my new 1100G and took it for a short test run, No weird noises, very smooth and strong.

V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Dismantled the dodgy starter, to find it in very good condition internally - the armature was like new, everything was just crudded up. The brushes had only worn about halfway and stuck because of cruddiness on them, but there's an inherent design fault - the snailsprings don't have enough push on them to maintain force on the brushes past the half-worn point if there's any muck there. So, new brushes will be on order and I'll toss the old ones in a box as desperation spares in case I'm stuck any time. They will actually work, but not for a long time, so not worth putting them back into this one.
                        ---- Dave

Comment

My 12 year son surprised me today and spent all day with myself in the garage. We took to peg mounting plates off, back wheel and swingarm off. He used paint stripper to remove this horrible nasty trying to pass for paint off the braking plate and the rear wheel. We sanded the rest and greased the pin and wheel bearing. He even attempted to use wet 400 to polish the braking plate to match what i did to the spocket and the hub it mounts too. The wheel is ready for paint thanks to him wielding a steel brush.

I have to say i will keep the events close to my heart and hope this continues. I am losing him to the world and his friends and hope this might be a start to him coming back to his dad

Comment

Originally posted by jeffgs View Post
                            My 12 year son surprised me today and spent all day with myself in the garage. We took to peg mounting plates off, back wheel and swingarm off. He used paint stripper to remove this horrible nasty trying to pass for paint off the braking plate and the rear wheel. We sanded the rest and greased the pin and wheel bearing. He even attempted to use wet 400 to polish the braking plate to match what i did to the spocket and the hub it mounts too. The wheel is ready for paint thanks to him wielding a steel brush.

I have to say i will keep the events close to my heart and hope this continues. I am losing him to the world and his friends and hope this might be a start to him coming back to his dad
                            Great story and good to hear. You can never share enough time with them before they are grown up.

Comment

Excellent post, Jeff.
                              Can't think of a better father-son activity than motorcycles.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Jeff, thats great..once in a great while my kids (8 & 11). Will hang out in the garage...I always enjoy it. I had a fun little time yesterday though. I have an antique scooter, and the younger wanted me to take him for some laps around the neighborhood. He watches and knows the startup routine....Gas on, sink the carb float with the button to fill the bowl, choke, kick.....When after stopping to talk to neighbors, the scooter failed to start (didnt turn off the fuel and it flooded), he immediately began, fiddling with all of the above fuel controls. Not the correct response, but I was thrilled at seeing him use his head in a mechanical way.
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X