No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After riding last night and to work this morning without issues, I started to leave the hospital this afternoon when I realized my high beam indicator was lit and my left mirror was messed up. I realized the headlight was out and made my way home instead of the meeting I was supposed to attend tonight. I got home and started checking the headlight and taillight again (taillight worked), fuses (all good), and then tore into the headlight bucket where I found this:

and this:

I'm not sure what caused it but did find some corrosion on the inside of the connector. I'm assuming it's possible that I caused it by leaving the bike uncovered during some recent heavy rainstorms but I'm not sure.

I also ran same basic checks and noted that:

With the key on but without the engine running, voltage at the headlight wiring was 12.14
    With the engine running, voltage at the headlight wiring was 12.6
    Cheyenne helped at this point and with the engine at 3000 RPM, voltage at the headlight wiring was 13.7v

We then ran some tests at the battery and found pretty much the same information:

Key Off - 12.89v
    Key On, not running - 12.4v
    Idle - 12.5v
    5000 RPM - 13.8v
    Key Off - 12.8v

This is with an AGM battery, SH-775 R/R, Eastern Beaver Fuse Block, and LED bulbs for the turn signals/brake light

I verified the bulb itself still works so I'll clean off the terminal and pick up a new connector tomorrow.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Back in the late winter I rebuilt a spare speedometer drive to replace my squeaky one.......I finally put it on tonight. I had some enjoyable company.
      20140905_230527.jpg
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'm going to have a hard time sleeping tonight. I've replaced 3 shims and got the clearances to spec. I've cleaned, rebuilt, and rejetted my carbs.. I've been following the tutorials from BassCliff's site, and various Youtube videos.. Tomorrow I'm going to get some gas flowing and see if it will fire up. Between waiting for parts and studying this whole thing has taken 2 weeks now. All things being equal I should be able to sync carbs tomorrow.
        sigpic
        Well, my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle.

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Had to laugh today - ancient and modern together. Should have got a picture too.

Got a 1930's sidevalve Triumph single running for a friend - he'd lost the ignition timing when he refitted the magneto drive chain...nice and simple and it chuffs away like a good'un.

Still pulling down a blown Kawasaki ZX1400 motor. It's in a race car and the new owner went the wrong way on the sequential gearchange....bang.
          Put a Carrillo out the front....it's turboed and dry sumped and full of those lovely very expensive bits. I didn't build it but I'm building it's replacement.

Quite a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
            Still pulling down a blown Kawasaki ZX1400 motor. It's in a race car and the new owner went the wrong way on the sequential gearchange....bang.
            Put a Carrillo out the front....it's turboed and dry sumped and full of those lovely very expensive bits. I didn't build it but I'm building it's replacement.

Quite a difference.
            What are you putting it in?

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post

Quite a difference.
              Pictures PLEASE!!! Big Buck Goodies. Yea!!! Yea!!!

A broken Carrillo! Thats rare. Be curious why and where it broke!!

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                .....I finally put it on tonight. I had some enjoyable company.
                I always enjoy that. I have one son 13yrs old wants NOTHING to do with bikes or wrenching the other is 6yrs old and he almost always shows up, has me flip his bike upside down and get him wrenches and screwdrivers and he "works" on it. Managed to get the rear wheel loose last spring!

Comment

Originally posted by Wester Cooley View Post
                  Pictures PLEASE!!! Big Buck Goodies. Yea!!! Yea!!!

A broken Carrillo! Thats rare. Be curious why and where it broke!!

Looking at the wreckage, a rod bolt went first. The other one is bent - and also broken - that side of the bigend eye is broken off too.
                  Why ? Peak revs in 2nd - and the driver changes the wrong way with the sequential shift ? Fairly obvious I'd have thought.

It's in a Radical, which is a small sports race car. British design, quite a lot of them in Australia and one or two here as well. Owner has supplied a second ZX14 motor - standard - which will receive all the salvaged trick bits. Dry sump with big external pump, lockup clutch,balance shaft replacements. German forged pistons coming along with a new set of Carrillos. The original head is pretty well ported so a set of new exhaust valves and one inlet, and it's reusable.

Pic is not very clear, that's the stump of the rod sticking up.

I'd have thought there would have been more interest in the 1930's Triumph....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Do the other rod bearings show any gauling from oil starvation? Thats the only time I have seen a Carrillo snap a rod bolt in a motorcycle motor.

How much trash got into all the dry sump lines, pump, and the tank??

Make sure you make him a BIG sticker to put near his shifter showing this way for faster, and the opposite way for slowing.

Have fun playing with that motor. Its always fun putting all kinds of trick parts together!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wester Cooley View Post
                      Do the other rod bearings show any gauling from oil starvation? Thats the only time I have seen a Carrillo snap a rod bolt in a motorcycle motor.

How much trash got into all the dry sump lines, pump, and the tank??

Make sure you make him a BIG sticker to put near his shifter showing this way for faster, and the opposite way for slowing.

Have fun playing with that motor. Its always fun putting all kinds of trick parts together!!!
                      Two of the other rod bearings were just starting to show pickup signs. As far as i can tell that rod didn't seize - it was simply too high rpm for the yeild stress of the rod bolt. Builder tells me they were new SPS bolts...gauze in the dry sump caught most of the trash.
                      Given the lockup clutch and the much higher vehicle weight of the car Vs a bike, the result of a wrong way change is going to result in some incredible accelerations of engine parts. Do it in a bike and the rear wheel will lock. Too much grip and weight for that to happen here.

According to the guy who engineers the car for the owner, the hit to his wallet - and pride - should make him remember which way the shift goes...

Comment

Had plans to go out tonight to verify the speedo drive works after everyone left from my sons birthday get together, so I drank a lot of coffee....Then it rained its a$$ off. Having no wine on hand to unwind me, i found myself tinkering in the garage unil late. Cleaned up a bit, did the $1 throttle mod, which was incredibly and deceptively simple, and tried to locate the source of the fairing's incessant rattling. I think it was a combination of the aftermarket windscreen and a loose mid panel that lost its mounting studs long ago.
                        We shall see......
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

$1 Throttle Mod looks interesting... might try to do that on mine.

Comment

Stripped down my 80 750L to the frame. Going to get it blasted, cut the rear peg mounts and back of the frame off, weld a hoop on for a custom seat and get it all powder coated...plan is to make some sort of bobber out of her.

After about 3 hours of work last night, then 5 minutes in Photoshop to combine the images:

----------------------------------------------------------------
                            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
                              Stripped down my 80 750L to the frame. Going to get it blasted, cut the rear peg mounts and back of the frame off, weld a hoop on for a custom seat and get it all powder coated...plan is to make some sort of bobber out of her.

After about 3 hours of work last night, then 5 minutes in Photoshop to combine the images:

looks more like the end of the begining to me.
                              sigpic
                              Well, my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle.

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Originally posted by Uncamitzi View Post
                                looks more like the end of the begining to me.
                                Hello Fellow Utahn.

Yep, the end of the very beginning... Bought it for $200 on KSL, mostly for the parts. The engine out of my 78 is going to go in this frame, as the PO of the 78 project hacked the back of the 78 frame off and was going to stretch it and make a chopper out of it and lost interest. Here's the frames side by side:

----------------------------------------------------------------
                                2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Working...
                                X