No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different bike project today....Last year when my younger son needed a bigger bicycle, I conviently found one in the trash needing a chain and a bit of love. It worked fine last year. We asked him this year if he wanted his brothers bike (hes moving up as well, probably a small mountain bike). He said no, but could we paint his to his liking. I peeled and cleaned the decals and glue yesterday, and we took apart today and painted it today- blue to green fade, colors he picked at the store. Not perfect, with a bit of orange peel and a few fisheyes underneath, but he is thrilled.

.......And i stewed and began to accept that the 1150 needs more parts.....
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Cleaned up and maintained my 6 paintball markers we used yesterday. Refilled all the co2 bottles, etc etc.
      Laundry next.

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

The only thing "wrenched" might have been my back, but Mrs. Steve and I turned this

into this

and, finally, into this

Still plenty more to go, but the organization process has begun.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Replaced my tachometer cable seals. One more leak fixed!

Scrubbed the heck out of the engine. My hands hurt.

Comment

Keep that up, you will have that thing ready to meet up with us at the Brown County Rally in June.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              Different bike project today....Last year when my younger son needed a bigger bicycle, I conviently found one in the trash needing a chain and a bit of love. It worked fine last year. We asked him this year if he wanted his brothers bike (hes moving up as well, probably a small mountain bike). He said no, but could we paint his to his liking. I peeled and cleaned the decals and glue yesterday, and we took apart today and painted it today- blue to green fade, colors he picked at the store. Not perfect, with a bit of orange peel and a few fisheyes underneath, but he is thrilled.

.......And i stewed and began to accept that the 1150 needs more parts.....
              Nice looking paint job, soon he will be asking for a motor!

It aint easy at times keeping old bikes on the road, I was thinking toady, as I wrenched on the Kawasaki triple looking over at my beloved 1150, in less than 3 yrs and I will have owned my 1150 for 30 yrs!! And it needs some attention soon also!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                The only thing "wrenched" might have been my back, but Mrs. Steve and I turned this

into this

and, finally, into this

Still plenty more to go, but the organization process has begun.

No, no, no Steve, old bikers don't organize, the pile it up in corners and hang it off the rafters and ceiling. Look at all those corners and hidey holes you aren't using. You've seen the pics lol.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Like I said, that's only Round One.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                    Pulled the engine out of a Chevy Tracker. All those connections you are supposed to disconnect before removing...you can't. The bolts that you have to remove you can't get to etc. etc. it is finally out and mounted it on the engine stand and turned it over and pulled the pan. The #2 connecting rod bearing....gone, not present, missing.

V
                    It's a Suzuki! 4 or V6?
                    sigpic
                    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                    1983 GS1100e
                    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                    1980 GS1260
                    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Messing with my buddies virago again. He laughs at me for how much I fiddle with my gs in the winter then comes crying when his bike won't run in the spring. Oh well I'll take beer money any way I can get it I guess.

Comment

I put my newly powder coated fenders on yesterday. They look awesome! Just waiting on the tank now because my buddy wants to redo it. The powder coat orange peeled on him. It's not even really noticeable to me but he wants it perfect as he can get it. So looks like I may be waiting one more week for the tank if he does not finish by the end of the day today because he's going on vacation.

It's okay I can wait.

Comment

Pulled the rear tire on my 83 1100G, inspected the splines..they look like new, get new rubber on today and fork seals for good measure.

V
                          Gustov
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          80 GS 550 L
                          2002 Honda 919
                          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

New seals are in, found a part missing in the right fork, fresh rubber. Next up, break flush and test ride.

V
                            Gustov
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            80 GS 550 L
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Worked on a fella's 79' 1000 over the last couple of weeks. Took it out for a hard spin and was treated to an actual working self canceling unit it's funny how much of a treat that was for me.
                              Rob
                              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                                It's a Suzuki! 4 or V6?
                                4 cylinder.

V
                                Gustov
                                81 GS 1000 G
                                79 GS 850 G
                                81 GS 850 L
                                80 GS 550 L