• Show
Clear All

That's damned impressive, Rick.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Got the voltmeter installed today and it's working well. Note the picture is a bit misleading as it does not cover the tach or speedometer from my view.

Dogma did a fantastic job
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Replaced the clutch pushrod seal on my GS450. No more drips on the driveway.
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550
        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          That's damned impressive, Rick.
          Thanks, Mason. I even surprise myself sometimes. Just kidding, I worry with every nut and bolt, that I may have forgotten something. It sucks, because they pull me to do other things. Being the only mechanic, I rarely get to just work straight through one job then move to the next. I have the feeling this may become a regular thing. My boss passes on buying Busas with tranny problems. With this one under my belt, plus the M109 I did a couple of years ago that may change. Also I'm training a kid that just started MMI. He comes in the afternoon after school. He's not bad, has potential. Maybe soon he can take my place, so I can start my own shop.

I have a side customer that has been having his second gear start jumping. I'm just waiting on him to drop it off, but to tell the truth, I really don't want to do it in my garage at home. The problem is that it has to be completely taken apart to find out exactly what needs to be replaced. The Busa I just did, needed two gears !st and 5th drive gears and a shift fork, but the M109 needed two gears, two shift forks, shift drum and both fork shafts. A complete gasket set is a gimme, but other than that it's a guessing game.

I have another side customer that does a lot of bartering, but lately has moved into buying and selling. I'm working on an '81 GL1000 now and he has a BMW Flying Brick and slightly rusty VTX1300 that I've already cleaned the carb for. Well he is looking into getting a unit or two where my upholsterer has his shop. He needs a place to work on the cars and trucks he flips and wants me to work on the bikes he gets, which will give me a place to work out of instead of my garage with other customer work. He said he can cover the rent for at least one unit. We'll see if that pans out, it would be nice to be able to move the '55 into the garage.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

My dad was a Porsche mechanic, and he was my hero. I wrench on my own stuff for non-complicated stuff or at least not massively complicated stuff, like carbs, brakes, sprockets, etc., and I rebuilt a couple of motors with my dad watching over me (a Mini Cooper 1275 motor and tranny, a TR6 engine, a Scirocco motor, and a Ford 302), but I am like you in one regard-I fear screwing up on something internal, and the fact that I am not as mechanically inclined as you keeps me from doing much beyond ancillary work. If I get a larger garage some day, I may buy a project car. I'd love to relearn and/or learn how to do everything in rebuilding a motor and transmission.

Kudos!
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Minor stuff today. Changed oil and filter on my 1100ESD and my wife's '97 Ford Taurus.
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Thanks Rick! I'll mosey over there and see what I can't find... Indeed impressive! Glad to see you got the big block GSX sorted.

I Replaced the dead tire on my HD Street-rod. This bike should have come with ZR tires... Turn in is much better and the lager rear has given me some more ground clearance and can hit the turn a little hotter now.
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Today I shot Base coat and clear on thunderbird panels, happy with them at the moment. Have to wait for the clear to cure fully before refitting it all together.

URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/dennismarkharland/media/20170605_160230_zpsx0fqtrr6.jpg.html][/URL]
                  My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Spent part of the day rearranging the new digs, decorating, and cleaning and arranging my tool boxes, and added a couple stickers i've been meaning to put on

Comment

It's turning into the month of the car.
                      Our Honda Pilot is approaching the 100k mark.
                      While it was in for the second airbag recall, we were given a long list of required maintenance delivered with the fervor that if not completed the Earth will fall off of its axis and roll off into deep space. . . .

Timing belts was the big one.
                      After looking looking at pictures and watching a video, I quickly decided I'm not going there..
                      I took it to a local independent shop for the timing belt job and change of trans, diff, and transfer case oil. While there they found 2 broken motor mounts. WTF? The extra motor movement caused the rubber intake hose to crack, something I noticed before taking it in.

With the big item completed, I took care of some smaller things.
                      Cleaned 100k miles of grime from under the hood for a cleaner work area , then changed the spark plugs. Not nearly as easy as a big block Chevy, but tolerable. Replaced the bad intake hose, and the air filter. Replacing the cabin air filter was a PITA, but resulted in much better airflow, as the old one was original.

Next is full brake job and sway bar links - parts on order

Dumb.

Not bad for 100k. Honda quote used as a check list...
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I think my roommate's pilot had the same issue when she took her pilot in for the timing belt. It was making all sorts of noise and i think she said her motor mounts were shot too

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                          I think my roommate's pilot had the same issue when she took her pilot in for the timing belt. It was making all sorts of noise and i think she said her motor mounts were shot too
                          Yep, motor mounts aren't all that uncommon on these. The timing belt could have been fine dorkburger, but these ARE interference motors soooooo..... Also, if you have a bunch of noise from the front end, check the strut towers, and the sway bar bushings (pass. side easy, drivers side is PITA but do-able). Also check inner and outer tierods if there is play in the steering. It's amazing, my 2000 Chevy truck w/180,XXX and has the original suspension and steering components (except power steering pump), worn, yes, but not creaking, moaning, and wandering all over the road. My Honda Pilot w/ 130,XXX? Just about every suspension/steering component was completely shot/worn slap out.
                          Last edited by simmoto; 06-11-2017, 07:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks. The sway bar links are definitely shot, as in one came apart. I'm surprised about the garbage quality of them. After it came apart at the sway bar end. I cut the link off at the strut, and no more rattle.
                            I didn't know how long beyond the recommended interval the belt could be pushed, and I sure didn't want to find out. It's being used for a road trip / family vacation the summer.
                            Last edited by dorkburger; 06-11-2017, 08:21 AM.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                              it's turning into the month of the car.
                              Our honda pilot is approaching the 100k mark.
                              While it was in for the second airbag recall, we were given a long list of required maintenance delivered with the fervor that if not completed the earth will fall off of its axis and roll off into deep space. . . .

Timing belts was the big one.
                              After looking looking at pictures and watching a video, i quickly decided i'm not going there..
                              I took it to a local independent shop for the timing belt job and change of trans, diff, and transfer case oil. While there they found 2 broken motor mounts. Wtf? The extra motor movement caused the rubber intake hose to crack, something i noticed before taking it in.

With the big item completed, i took care of some smaller things.
                              Cleaned 100k miles of grime from under the hood for a cleaner work area , then changed the spark plugs. Not nearly as easy as a big block chevy, but tolerable. Replaced the bad intake hose, and the air filter. Replacing the cabin air filter was a pita, but resulted in much better airflow, as the old one was original.

Next is full brake job and sway bar links - parts on order

dumb.

not bad for 100k. Honda quote used as a check list...
                              shut the f up!!!!
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                                shut the f up!!!!
                                ??????????
                                sigpic

Glen
                                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Working...
                                X