what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
    I'll keep my eyes open for one of those.
    Good luck on "finding" one.

They are custom-made and not cheap.

Russell Day-Long Saddle

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

just finished this stuff up on saturday. woo clutches. did timing belt service while it was apart.

Comment

Workshop task today: After re-doing the badly soldered tank unions, filled the tank with diesel and left it overnight to make sure of fuel-tightness, not just to check the soldering, but also the home-made blanking plate that's over the original petcock hole.
        So far, tight as a drum.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Good luck on "finding" one.

They are custom-made and not cheap.

Russell Day-Long Saddle

While one is relatively unlikely to appear this side of the pond, it's not unknown for such things to crop up in the most unexpected places. Plenty of US-registered GSs were imported here over the last several decades, many of them with full-on touring gear fitted.
        Last edited by Grimly; 05-05-2015, 12:02 PM.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

While one is relatively unlikely to appear this side of the pond, it's not unknown for such things to crop up in the most unexpected places. Plenty of US-registered GSs were imported here over the last several decades, many of them with full-on touring gear fitted.[/QUOTE]

Grimly, you can Send Russell your seat pan and they will build you the seat, it is a little expensive, but you would like the seat I think.

Chased charging gremlins all day yesterday. Ended up soldering the stator wires, end of problem.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Me spending hundreds of dollars plus shipping (and the shipping + duty is often the killer on a new item) on a seat is about as likely as sprouting wings, to be honest. I have many more pressing things to spend the money on, but the concept of the winged seat rang a bell, and I read this earlier...

And section 5 on this page...

However, without essential sewing machine skills to make a proper job of it, that also remains unlikely. Otoh, a proper Russell seat might crop up, but I'm not holding my breath.

Workshop today: Fitted the rebuilt seat from the other GS and fitted a new Givi-copy top box (trunk).
            The bike nearly fell over with the shock of actually being 'improved' a bit.
            Last edited by Grimly; 05-06-2015, 04:45 PM.
            ---- Dave
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Measured the clutch bits out to check spec and then retorqued clutch nut to fix a rattle before it progressed too far.

Comment

Installed a XTRE on the BK today... Little splicing for allot of gains! Maximum ignition advance in all gears with best fuel mapping for all gears. Speed limiter had been removed, true top speed with current gearing is 197mph however I'll never go that fast so a new gear sprocket setup is on it's way in... Change the sound of the exhaust and the intake, IT sounds MEAN. This 1340 is a true brute in the first 3 gears now. Full advance with fuel de-restriction means an extra 18 whp in the lower gears and 21 wftlbs...

INtsall locations..:

HAd to splice an ECU wire...

The unit

Put her together and cleaned her up!!!
                Ready to GO!!!

Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Today I decided to do something about the too-hard seat foam on my GS750B. The main problem is that I can feel vibration through the seat leading to "restless butt syndrome"

Luckily I had put a Saddlemen seat cover on about 6 years ago and fastened it with screws and washers so it was easy to take the cover off. To "soften" the foam I cut a series of 7/16" holes through it on a 1" x 1" grid pattern only on the area where I sit. The tool I used to cut the holes was a piece of 7/16" tubing, from a light fixture mount, that I sharpened the edge of by spinning it in the drill press and running a file along it. Then used my cordless drill to made the holes.

Put it all together and now the seat is noticeably softer. But not crazy soft but soft enough that the vibes are gone. Here are some pics.

Brian

Comment

New Old Stock Conti Blitz fitted and coat of paint slapped on the trailer bracket.
                    It looks blue but will dry black.
                    Inspection revealed no wear on the final drive splines at 250K and counting. This wheel came off another '79 850 with the black drive plate, so no wear on that, either. Normal lube was used - Castrol Moly Grease, as has been used for the past 25 years.

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Grimly; 05-10-2015, 11:52 AM.
                    ---- Dave

Comment

The wife wanted a fire plug for the yard. She wants train the dog to pee on it.....due to its immense mass, ill probably only have to relocate it in the yard 100 times
                      Spent a couple of unpleasant hours with a grinder / wirewheel removing much paint. The yellow dust in the garage even outnumbered the pollen on the cars as of late.
                      Primer on, red paint soon.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by dorkburger; 05-09-2015, 09:01 PM.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Replaced the cam chain tensioner and stator cover gaskets today to resolve a persistent oil leak that I thought I fixed when I replaced the clutch cover gasket. I thought at first the cam chain tensioner gasket was missing but after cleaning it up I found it was still there. I'm assuming the bottom screw might have been too loose as it didn't take me much to remove it. After fighting with the carbs, I had problems starting the bike and found the ignition fuse blew somehow. I replaced it but now have to buy a new positive probe for the multimeter as it separated from the wire (unless someone knows how to remove the tip so I can re-crimp it???)

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

This is in progress for the the next couple of days.

Last edited by wymple; 05-09-2015, 11:12 PM.

Comment

This:

Here's the story.
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                              The wife wanted a fire plug for the yard. She wants train the dog to pee on it.....due to its immense mass, ill probably only have to relocate it in the yard 100 times
                              Weird…but it's her thang, do what you gotta do.
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

A bit maybe.....our large dog has been a menace to what little landscaping we have..
                                My work is now ready to be peed on.
                                Attached Files
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X