what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
    A garage without tunes is......less enjoyable. The old Motorola stopped playing last night and I figured it was the phono plug that connects the electronic du jour ( cd player, I pod, phone, etc). Turns out it was a bad cord. It got a dusting off anyway...I love the smell of hot tubes cooking dust....

Ooooooh, it glows......

http://
    Lovely tubes! Looks like 15 watts?
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

The XS... I took it for a spin my backyard to see if in any issues pop up. Non so far. Runs like a champ. Not bad for a barn find! Swapping out the handle bars and extra bits... Going in for a total De-L or De-Special....
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
        Not that you should do this…. But I haven't run the piano wire in my bike for over 25 yrs with ZERO problems, I was told to remove it by a old GS mechanic, he said they were more a pain than they were worth.
        I still don't know there purpose??? I think it had to do with rattling plates or something like that
        Interesting....the whole cause of the clutch work this winter was to locate and( hopefully) fix a rattle.
        Knowing myself, if I leave it out and the rattle persists it may be a lingering question....
        Ill mull it over though....And see how long it takes to get a new one.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          Lovely tubes! Looks like 15 watts?
          No idea....I love my tube radois, but this is the last one that works properly. I dont have the knowledge to diagnose or repair them. I have a couple of really cool console ones (Zenith, Motorola) from the 40s, but they both need work on the electronics. The cabinets and grille cloths are still quite nice.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Well, I did a search of "piano" here. Consensus is that its not necessary....
            sigpic

Glen
            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              With a name like Macgyver you should appreciate the carb "fix" from the previous owner. lol.
              Indeed I do Steve!
              Unfortunately the bike was filled with "little fixes" like this. Working my way through it fixing everything as time and funding allows.

After I leave work today I am heading over to a buddy's garage to jump on the plug chop bandwagon to confirm what I already intuited is the next major problem, jetting...oh joy.
              Especially since his shop is a stone's throw from the local police station. Good thing there are backroads close for the WOT check.

Maybe if I ask nicely I can get a hand from the local LEO's to check the accuracy of my speedo? hahaha

Comment

Changed the rear tire. Took a couple hours of hard work to remember the easy way to do it.
                Doh!! Forgot to balance it.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

All of the valves are now out of the Jeep but I couldn't get the first valve seal out so I'll need to try it again. Fortunately the springs and valve margins are within specs and at first glance none of the valve stems are bent. I'm going to try and get the block down to the machine shop this week.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Rear brakes on the car......sweeeet!
                    20150809_114232.jpg

Putting the GS together later sans piano wire...
                    sigpic

Glen
                    -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                      The XS... I took it for a spin my backyard to see if in any issues pop up. Non so far. Runs like a champ. Not bad for a barn find! Swapping out the handle bars and extra bits... Going in for a total De-L or De-Special....
                      I had a 79 XS750 - the last model before they went 850. It became a total pig to start when the baffles started to rot out, but apart from that (and being an overweight pig) it was fine, with all of the mechanical shortcomings sorted by the factory. In fact, I got so used to it, when I first got a GS850, it was a very familiar feel...
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Sometimes......its just nice to work barefooted. No heavy lifting, etc, so what the heck....
                        Buttoned it up......
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Glen
                        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                          No idea....I love my tube radois, but this is the last one that works properly. I dont have the knowledge to diagnose or repair them. I have a couple of really cool console ones (Zenith, Motorola) from the 40s, but they both need work on the electronics. The cabinets and grille cloths are still quite nice.
                          Keep those old ones! The quality of the (AM) radios in them is far superior to most of what is available today.

In college we used to run ads saying "we'll haul away your old TV/ console radio for free." Most of them only required a few new tubes and some cleaning. The we'd sell them. Most of the components that fail can be replaced. Look for leaky capacitors, as in capacitors that actually leak. If you can solder and work on old GSes, you can figure out how to bring them back to life. Good winter project.
                          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

What he said!
                            But I'm into small guitar amps.

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                              Keep those old ones! The quality of the (AM) radios in them is far superior to most of what is available today.

In college we used to run ads saying "we'll haul away your old TV/ console radio for free." Most of them only required a few new tubes and some cleaning. The we'd sell them. Most of the components that fail can be replaced. Look for leaky capacitors, as in capacitors that actually leak. If you can solder and work on old GSes, you can figure out how to bring them back to life. Good winter project.
                              I have an old ex-Royal Navy receiver that weighs nearly the same as the GS. Made in 1958, iirc, and has around 24 valves in it. It was working fine at last plug-in, but that was over a decade ago, and I'm not really sure it will power up without some attention. What brought this to mind was mention of the AM coverage, as when they weren't being used for comms, the spare sets of this type were commonly used onboard to provide ship-board listening to local radio stations as they cruised around the Med or wherever, the RF and audio circuitry of these being top-notch, in their day.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Those old ones weren't just "top-notch, in their day." They are top-notch in any day. They were built before FM and before TV. AM radio was a Really Big Deal until it was supplanted by newer technologies. AM fidelity, with good transmitters and receivers is just as good as FM. And AM is not limited by line-of-sight as FM is. The US has several dozen "clear channel" AM radio stations, ones licensed decades ago. They broadcast at 50,000 watts. WHO in Des Moines (for non-Yankees, Des Moines, Iowa is roughly in the center of the country) has as its call line, "Border to border and coast to coast". With good atmospheric conditions, you can receive its signal (and that of other clear channel stations) anywhere inside the continental US. So, in the old days, with a great AM radio and antenna your programming options increased greatly. This was before broadcasting conglomerate bought up most of the radio and TV stations and homogenized the programming. There were real differences.

So engineers worked hard to make really good radios, and they succeeded. The old ones, when in good repair, are far superior to today's radio.

35 years ago I build a kit tuner from Dynaco, their AF-6. One of its selling points was its AM section tried to be really good. MacIntosh, I believe, had what was the modern standard for good AM. I still have the AF-6, and want to get it properly aligned again. But Albuquerque has very little that I want to listen to.
                                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                                X