No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMG_0188.jpgGot my bike project under way for the sidecar hack I am putting together....

Comment

I am sad, I wish I had a garage.....

Comment

Screwed up and installed a reverse polarity battery in the dark. Needless to say I've got some work ahead of me. Seems like the left turn signal doesn't work now and the charge voltage is 15.6V @ 5000 RPM. Tried a spare turn signal controller and still no go. Looks like it's time to replace my ratty wiring harness that came with the bike. Too many splices anyway.

UPDATE:
        Started a more detailed troubleshooting and find that I'm even dumber then I thought! Replaced the original battery with the new correct AGM battery and now I find the terminal charge voltage at 5000rpm is 14.54V. All is well with the SH775 R/R. We now know it can take a reverse polarity and survive.

While looking into the source of the no flash on left side turn signal problem I found that the headlight bulb socket was partially melted. Not related to the reverse polarity issue but is something that needs to be addressed. New main harness will fix that along with some other wire slicing issues that are there from the PO. After some trouble shooting I did eventually find the source of the problem. While I had the seat open the metal back piece touches the left rear turn signal housing. When that is touching the left side doesn't work. I hear a rapid cycling of the flasher relay. When I return the seat the signals started working. Weird to say the least. So, it looks like there's no permanent damage from the reversed battery after all.

As for the components (harness and SH775 R/R) that I've ordered, looks like the main harness will be replaced after all and the GS850 will get a new R/R.
        Last edited by JTGS850GL; 10-25-2015, 06:35 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Putting a new motor back into my turbo 1100. I need to swap clutches, swap ignition and coils, adjust the valves etc. Still, I got the turbo in and I'll get the header on tonight.
          1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Synched the carbs on my 1000EN. I have the old mercury filled carb sticks and they're a little low on mercury. This is problematic because the well gets low and the tubes begin sucking air and throws off the accuracy. It took a while but I got her done.

Comment

I swapped the fiber clutch plates and springs in my 1000EN yesterday. The factory manual shows 7 plates but there were 8 installed. I reused one of the old plates and ordered an 8th one.from BB. Also changed the oil.

Comment

Trial-fitted the Windjammer IV on the Tug.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

pulled the carbs off the gs1150 today... what a bitch!!I know I will have my hands full getting them back in! was going to change the rear shock but seems that you have to drop the whole swing arm gonna save that for another day....

Comment

Went looking for that little noise I had on the front end. Pull the brake pads and found it. Left side, inboard pad was gone. The other three pads had a bit over half the pad left. So, replaced all the brake pads front and rear. Suzie has new shoes lol.

100_1526.jpg
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I finally had a day off, so I put the pods on and rejetted the carb. What yall think?

20151028_165123.jpg

By the way, she runs richer than ten feet up a bull's @$$ now! Thinking I raised the needle too high, gonna put another fiber washer on it and see what that does. Maybe drop to a 125 main?

At least it's not running too lean anymore. :P

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                        Work van. The blower motor stopped just in time for the cold. After removing the battery, battery tray, and removing the a/c reciever bolts to move it out of the way, I pulled the motor. To my surprise its a brush type motor. One brush was worn significantly more then the other, they wouldn't slide in the holder, and the armature was blackened. I cleaned up the armature, cleaned the brush holders and brushes so they slide, and reassembled. Imagine my disappointment when I plugged it in and it didn't work, then my excitement when I realized the battery wasnt in. Duh. It works with power.
                        Temporary repair lasted nearly a year. Just put in the new motor. Armature on the old one was shot....20151028_224027.jpg
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The younger son and me (well, mainly me) pulled the back wheel off the scooter and patched the tube. Then we went for a ride.
                          20151031_144042.jpg

Dig the 50 year old tire.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Loosely assembled a lot of my Kat bits:

And finished the drainage on the shed as much as possible until the electricity goes in:

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Swapped in a mo-biggah engine, with a clearance issue.

750 out:

1127 in:
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Starting to take shape again...

---- Dave
                                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X