No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While my bike was running pretty decently since having the carbs rebuilt and rejetted this past winter... I had noticed it bogging a little at higher RPMs. Someone mentioned it possibly needing more air, so I tested running it without a filter and it ran a million times better. This lead me to investigate why it was needing so much air. I opened the DynoJet package and saw that the tech had installed the biggest main jets the kit came with, DJ170s. I decided to finally try my hand at some basic carb work myself and took the rail off. Took off the bowls and replaced the jets with the DJ118s from the kit. Set the mixture screws out to 2.5 turns and put it all back together. What a difference! Its like a whole new bike! Now I just need to get a full sync. Going to be visiting a buddy of mine soon who has the gauges.

Comment

Cut up a tire and bagged it for the trash

I never seem to remember to recycle my old tires, and I had 3 of them after changing the rear on my 1100G. So I decided to try and cut one into quarters, bag it and dump it in my garbage.
      Worked, but it took some special technique. A saws-all don't work because you can't hold the tire still for the blade to cut, it just vibrates with the blade, and the bead has steel wires in it so that is the toughest part.
      This is how I did it: first cut the bead through by hand with a fine tooth hacksaw using WD40 to lube the blade. Then I cut the rest of the carcass by hand with a bow saw. A saws-all would work IF you can hold the tire firmly enough, lube with WD40 because the spray is convenient. Cut it into 4 quarters, then nest each section into the other so you have a nice compact stack, bag it and can it.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

After putting new clutch disks in the B12 a week ago, I've put a few miles on the bike and the new clutch (Vesrah) feel is not as good as the old stock one. I pulled the clutch back apart and reinstalled the old disks which are much better and more progressive. Going to have to order Suzuki factory linings I guess and do the job a third time. LOL
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          I never seem to remember to recycle my old tires, and I had 3 of them after changing the rear on my 1100G. So I decided to try and cut one into quarters, bag it and dump it in my garbage.
          Worked, but it took some special technique. A saws-all don't work because you can't hold the tire still for the blade to cut, it just vibrates with the blade, and the bead has steel wires in it so that is the toughest part.
          This is how I did it: first cut the bead through by hand with a fine tooth hacksaw using WD40 to lube the blade. Then I cut the rest of the carcass by hand with a bow saw. A saws-all would work IF you can hold the tire firmly enough, lube with WD40 because the spray is convenient. Cut it into 4 quarters, then nest each section into the other so you have a nice compact stack, bag it and can it.
          I cut a 14" tyre into halves to make trailer mudguards (I know, pure hillbilly engineering, but it works and cost nothing), and found the beads cut fine with a 9" angle grinder (with cutting blade), then a Sawzall equivalent held tight against the carcase would slice the rubber nicely.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Did my 1st oil change (on this bike) & put the old ugly seat back on. Went for another short test ride.

Comment

More work on the XS... Cleaning, buffing the painted bits, restoring the chrome bits, wire wheeling the rust, lowered the forks, refreshed the brakes (no rebuild necessary looks like the PO did that already)+new pads then painted the calipers, Cleaned and polished the engine, new plugs for the hell of it... Next is painting the diff and changing the oil of the diff... Needs a front tire too and the fuse box is... Well not anymore. Runs like a champ though!

Grimly, IT's really not that big of a bike compared to the C14 or even the FZ1. Weighs in at 520lbs which if memory serves me right is 50ish lbs less then a GS750 and only 10lbs more then my FZ1 which I consider a light bike. I removed a couple of chrome bits. The exhaust looks to be a big weighed item as well... So cutting that down (pipes are rotting from the inside on this one too) will lighten the bike up. Sure the shaft drive is heavy but this thing with it's lower stance seems pretty nimble under me and is no way top heavy. Pick up is pretty decent too, get's into illegal speeds pretty quick. I'd say it's on par with my buddies modified Kawasaki SR650. The claimed 70hp is probably true it picks up no problem. I'll tune it once it meets my daily riding requirements in a few more weeks.
              Last edited by Jedz123; 08-12-2015, 12:52 AM.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

The weight disappears once it's moving, and the economy is not bad - no matter how I rode it, it returned 48mpg. Like many of its contemporaries, it was jetted lean from the factory, which explained why it was so sensitive to exhaust condition.
                ---- Dave
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Tire factories use band saws to cut tire beads and steel belts. Blades are lubricated by continuous spray of soapy water. That is for special work. To destroy a tire before landfilling it, special equipment is used. Scroungers will weld beads from scrap tires, slap some black goo to cover them, and sell them. When the tire fails in service, the manufacturer gets sued.

Most tire store will handle scrapping tires for about $3. Saves some time.
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Saves a lot of hard work too. I thought it would be easier.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Cleaned up some wiring on the Goldwing. Had a fairing at one time and the wires had holes from the scotchlocs..so I took shrink tubing and mended all them.

The PO had also installed dual element sockets in the rear signals..which i like for the extra light at the back in the dark. But he ran the wire from the front signal under the left shelter half and then to the back, so I took all that out and wired it up via the hot wire going to the tail light. Shrink tubing and its all now under the seat and out of sight. Much cleaner looking now.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                        More work on the XS... Cleaning, buffing the painted bits, restoring the chrome bits, wire wheeling the rust, lowered the forks, refreshed the brakes (no rebuild necessary looks like the PO did that already)+new pads then painted the calipers, Cleaned and polished the engine, new plugs for the hell of it... Next is painting the diff and changing the oil of the diff... Needs a front tire too and the fuse box is... Well not anymore. Runs like a champ though!

Grimly, IT's really not that big of a bike compared to the C14 or even the FZ1. Weighs in at 520lbs which if memory serves me right is 50ish lbs less then a GS750 and only 10lbs more then my FZ1 which I consider a light bike. I removed a couple of chrome bits. The exhaust looks to be a big weighed item as well... So cutting that down (pipes are rotting from the inside on this one too) will lighten the bike up. Sure the shaft drive is heavy but this thing with it's lower stance seems pretty nimble under me and is no way top heavy. Pick up is pretty decent too, get's into illegal speeds pretty quick. I'd say it's on par with my buddies modified Kawasaki SR650. The claimed 70hp is probably true it picks up no problem. I'll tune it once it meets my daily riding requirements in a few more weeks.
                        Nice looking bike! Looks like a fairly comfy ride too!

Ive been messing with jetting on my Kawi H2 project, WHEW… finicky little thing. Learning a lot about 2 strokes and vm mikunis and timing curves. Getting closer. I now have to remove the clutch cover on it also, I have an intermittent ticking sound, it will give me a chance to inspect a few things and it isn't very hard to do on that bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post

Ive been messing with jetting on my Kawi H2 project, WHEW… finicky little thing. Learning a lot about 2 strokes and vm mikunis and timing curves. Getting closer. I now have to remove the clutch cover on it also, I have an intermittent ticking sound, it will give me a chance to inspect a few things and it isn't very hard to do on that bike.
                          The Kwak 2T triples were notorious for seizing the middle pot. Istr the fix was to go up a jet size there.
                          ---- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                            The Kwak 2T triples were notorious for seizing the middle pot. Istr the fix was to go up a jet size there.
                            Yeah I heard that too, make it a bit more rich for cooling.

Comment

Made this video for the Connie 14 group I'm apart of... Doing your own tires??? What a concept!!! LOL Anyway you can watch ole' Jedz123 do some shade tree mechanic work.
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                              Originally posted by Hayabuser
                              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Yeah I heard that too, make it a bit more rich for cooling.
                                Mostly rumor and conjecture, they burn up pistons randomly!!
                                Most of the triple experts out there will tell you it's mostly false I have the same jets in all three the middle is just a touch warmer 15deg or so. The big thing is carb sync AND carb balance you have to do both and you have to do it VERY accurately or you will get one "pulling" and running hot. If one is running hot there is something wrong, air leak, timing, carb balance or sync. There finicky for sure! Makes tuning my Gs seem easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X