what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap bike lift

I converted an old hospital bed, actually a physiotherapist treatment bed to a bike lift. Took the mattress off the top and had a 3mm sheet of steel bent up, the 25mm edges give it a bit more strength. With a touch of a button I have an electric bike lifter capable of raising the bike 850mm off the deck. I used a wheel chock bought from a local auto shop, and a couple of tie down anchor points for safety (the wheel chock will hold the bike until you get the straps on).
    And to get the bike up onto the ramp I bought a $99 boat winch and some slotted angle and made a frame to mount the winch. Totally easy way of loading a heavy bike when your by yourself, I had to extend the remote control wires on the winch switch another six feet so I can hold the bike and use the winch.

Comment

There's a forthcoming glut of old hospital beds (powered and unpowered) coming onto the used market, as hospitals gear up for the obese generation in their older years. The old gear just won't cope with the fatties.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The lift looks great, Sink.
        A couple more pics of lift and the beautiful bike on it would be nice.
        If you don't mind what did the steel plate cost?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The plate was $70 from a local sheet metal place, found next day I could of got the same one in aluminium for $45, but I reckon it would been too weak. The end where the bike goes up the ramp tends to flex a bit, the GS850 weighs in about 246lbs. I use a folding aluminium ramp to get the bike up. The bike wheel chock was $90 at a autoshop. I bought two, one for the ramp and one for trailer.
          Short video of the BSA on the lift.

Comment

Thought I was almost finished with replacing all the missing little bits as I went to fit the tacho cable that just arrived from Germany. Found a home made plug in the socket in the head, removed it and oil came out. Strange I thought but cleaned up the mess and carried on. Tried to fit the cable only to find no actual drive in the hole, hence the oil. Now if I'm lucky, all I need is the tacho drive shaft, seal etc. to finish. If I'm unlucky, the drive gear could be missing from the camshaft or damaged? Fingers crossed.
            Cheers

Scott
            84 GS1100GK with sidecar

Comment

Thanks for the info and clip on the lift.
              A Beezer with a couple oil spots....what a novel concept. haha.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                Thanks for the info and clip on the lift.
                A Beezer with a couple oil spots....what a novel concept. haha.
                Strange, after that it hasn't leaked a spot, must of been moody.

Comment

Gonna bleed my brakes today, time for the 2 year flush.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    There's a forthcoming glut of old hospital beds (powered and unpowered) coming onto the used market, as hospitals gear up for the obese generation in their older years. The old gear just won't cope with the fatties.
                    My 1982 GS1100G weighs 570lb or 257kg, are you saying a lot old people weigh more than that???
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                      My 1982 GS1100G weighs 570lb or 257kg, are you saying a lot old people weigh more than that???
                      Nah, it's their insurance paperwork and malpractice ambulance chaser brochures.
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Give it time. The hospitals are already turfing out gear that was perfectly capable of the previous generation's weight. Some of it was simply old and due for renewal, but some just needed to be updated with a bit of leeway for the land whales that will be hitting the ERs soon.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by sinkankan View Post
                          The plate was $70 from a local sheet metal place, found next day I could of got the same one in aluminium for $45, but I reckon it would been too weak. The end where the bike goes up the ramp tends to flex a bit, the GS850 weighs in about 246lbs. I use a folding aluminium ramp to get the bike up. The bike wheel chock was $90 at a autoshop. I bought two, one for the ramp and one for trailer.
                          Short video of the BSA on the lift.

I wish my 850 only weighed 246 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                            Give it time. The hospitals are already turfing out gear that was perfectly capable of the previous generation's weight. Some of it was simply old and due for renewal, but some just needed to be updated with a bit of leeway for the land whales that will be hitting the ERs soon.
                            Land whales. I gotta remember that one.
                            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Been a while since I logged in or posted but in recent times I've done the steering head bearings and fork oil on the 450 and made some air filters for the velocity stacks and done the necessary jetting changes. So far she's like a whole new bike...
                              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Brakes flushed and bled, new brake and clutch levers on the way and oh yeah gotta get a new front tire for next year for sure. Didn't realize mine was already 11 years old, lots of rubber still left and no sidewall cracking. time flies when ya have fun.
                                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                                X