No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got around to removing the Motad stainless exhaust system from the 80 bike. I was surprised to find several parts on it were verging on rotten. Still, it lasted well over two decades and who knows how many miles, so I think I've had my money's worth out of it. It's actually repairable, but I think I'll just keep it as a last-ditch spare, stashed up in the workshop attic. I will look seriously at getting a Delkovic or whatever for it.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

First real bit of work on the Kat yesterday, compressed air to the rescue to get the piston out of the rear master cylinder. The bore looks good so a new piston and cup set should do the trick.

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Replaced oil seal in the cam chain tensioner and retorqued the headbolts 300 miles after the gasket job. Got about a third of a turn.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

What do you have to do to get one of these...

To fit one of these... ?

Answer...
          You take one of these...

And drill some holes, like so...

Then tap them 8mm, just like the Beemer has from the factory...

To be continued, once my back recovers...
          ---- Dave
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Tracked down and cured a partial misfire on the XJ - turned out to be a cracked plug cap which got damaged when the bike decided to have a little snooze on its side in the workshop a month ago.
            New plugs fitted too and removed and re-sealed the mufflers with proper firegum paste. I'd only fitted them dry first time around just to see how they worked, but a couple of leaks at the joins were bugging me, so it was time to do it right.
            ---- Dave

Comment

I got my tank and platics prepped and ready for paint

Comment

Iron Pony installed a new front tire for me and I started on putting the headlight bucket I bought from Prays4U on the bike but need to buy some additional mounting hardware first; did paint the new mounting ears though (Thank you Steve for sandblasting them)
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Made a spring compressor over the weekend and got the spring off one of the Koni's so I can get started on the rebuild.

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Attacked and de-rusted the chrome rear carrier rack. It came up surprisingly well, for something that hadn't been cleaned for two decades. Patches of the chrome had gone, though; so that means some chrome-effect paint, let it harden then a couple of coats of a good hard car wax. I can find a suitable replacement later, probably from Russia - I notice the Ural / Dnepr still uses a rack of that type, which looks fairly universal.

Not sure I want to pay that much for it though; it might be cheaper to buy direct. *
                    As a comparison, the legshields on that site can be bought direct from Russian and German dealers for ~ $16+shipping.

* I've just found the exact same rack from a UK seller on ebag for £45
                    Last edited by Grimly; 10-07-2015, 07:34 PM.
                    ---- Dave

Comment

anyone have Toyota shims?

the head.jpg

I love it! if Toyota made motorcycles - I'd probably sell my suzukis'

almost have it all back together - MX83, shim over bucket 24 valve DOHC 6 cylinder . this generation of 7MGE engine had a head bolt problem that Toyota refused to admit - from the factory under-torqued.

She overheated and left us stranded along HWY 39 in IL about a year ago. I may not keep the body but the engine I had to save! got it home and took it apart - the head was warped .030" and in severe need of a fresh 3 angle valve job.....

120 in ARP bolts - 200 in gaskets - new radiator new NGK sparkplugs - the wiring and vacuum systems ?!!? I like simple and this is not simple. hope to make some noise later today
                      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I am sure you already know this but Honda DOHC, new watercooled Triumph and Yamaha all use 25mm shims
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Wrapping up this little Trooper power plant swap. As long as my wife wants to run her Trooper - motors she shall have. Or at least until I can't source one. She is now convinced that a 19 year anniversary is represented by cast iron.

Here is she the last time she drove it for a play weekend.

Hondas
                          '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                          Suzuki
                          '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                          Kaw
                          '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Messed around with the XJ's carbs.

Came back up then downstairs again an hour later, to find that a fuel line from the tank had come off and 3 gallons of Texaco's finest had made its merry way across the workshop floor.
                            Hoow eee... glad there was no source of ignition.
                            Don't trust temporary joints folks, and ALWAYS turn the tap(s) to OFF.
                            ---- Dave

Comment

Charmayne and I installed my new Truck-lite LED headlight and front tire yesterday then went for a bit of a ride. This was taken afterwards last night on low beam from about 10 feet away from the house

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

New fork oil seals, new fork oil (15w), and progressive springs. Hope till test ride tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                                X