what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by themess View Post
    Will epoxy handle the heat? Better use high temp stuff.
    The auxiliary headlamps will be running LEDs, so heat isn't a major consideration in this application. Making sure watertighness is.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

First day out with the Vetter tacked on.

Turned out I needn't have worried about the handling, as it's ended up almost in the same stance and feel as the XJ900F, which I've really gotten used to in the past few months. Strictly speaking, it's a bit lower at the front that it should be (as the GS1000 stanchions are ~19mm shorter), but it works out ok. Apart from trying to put it on the centrestand now. That's going to need some alteration.
      It's actually quite chuckable around the twisties and there was absolutely no feel of front heaviness from it at all, unlike the last full fairing I had on this bike - that certainly let me know it was there.
      ---- Dave
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

My bikes are unfortunately stored away, cold weather and strange thaws has frozen the door shut.
        In the meantime, this is a bit of what i have gotten done in the past couple weeks.

I drive a taxi and the night driver snapped the inner tie rod, so the boss and I replaced both inner/out tie rods and sway bar links both sides.

I replaced all the steering lines on the fiances audi and prepped it for a full metal skid plate to protect the belly of the engine bay. Audi's have a notoriously low oil pan and after having to replace the lower half already it is time to ensure its safety.

This is a hand full of things completed on my $250 daily driver suburban; door controls, door switches, new seals on every door, gutted interior for new 1/2inch insulation, sound deadener in key location to knock down speaker rattle and ground noise, new windshield motor, new spark plugs, oil change and frame prepped for remote oil filter location mounts.

I would have gotten more done, but i am switching back to my night shift. I an going back to my 60hr work week coupled with the fact that my body is slowly fighting a spreading infection. My body is aching more and my stamina levels are draining.

Next update sometime in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          First day out with the Vetter tacked on.
          It's actually quite chuckable around the twisties and there was absolutely no feel of front heaviness from it at all, unlike the last full fairing I had on this bike - that certainly let me know it was there.
          In the early 80s, Cycle compared windshield fairings. They found that the best ones didn't affect handling, and improved it at high speeds.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I'm a little worried by that fairing, Grimly yes-I think you'll want to be careful that fender doesn't hit the Vetter. Different bike, but I was suprised at the travel in my gl500's front end across larger bumps fairing or not. (they are really suprisingly light, imo)

Comment

the oil pump was victim to heavy thick oil and supreme high horsepower. 20/50 weight oil - 1327 with a kick of nitrous - poor little drive ears could not handle the stress. I can tell you regular oil pump gears feed your GS plenty good. *2000rpm for a count of 5 will clear the oil cooler and flood the head with so much oil that takes minutes to drain down - not seconds.

hi volume ratios do put more oil up top at idle and if you sit in traffic a lot -- ok I'll concede that's true. But I hate to tell you it is your overactive imagination that really needs the high ratio gears not your top end. remember this #1your bike uses more gas due to parasitic drag. and #2 it has slower acceleration. YAY! your rocker arms will frolic like a happy day at the oil park as you stop for gas and your friend asks why your bike is so slow. lol . I'm just kidding - more oil in the head is never bad -or is it?

Originally posted by WolfworksCustoms View Post
              Have you tried drilling the basket ?...wet clutches love the molasass...the more you can perforate you clutch basket, the wetter your clutch plates will be.....also NB....wet clutches dont seem to like the synthetic oils too much....Ive always stuck with Castrol GTX ever since the 70s....never failed me....

today I have a Polaris ATV with a winch problem

that wind jammer looks warm - now maybe some leg covers and a way to capture the exhaust heat will keep you toasty and dry.
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                I'm a little worried by that fairing, Grimly yes-I think you'll want to be careful that fender doesn't hit the Vetter. Different bike, but I was suprised at the travel in my gl500's front end across larger bumps fairing or not. (they are really suprisingly light, imo)
                I've given it a right good bounce test, both to check that and the horn clearance. There's sufficient room, probably helped by the 1000 springs being a bit heavier duty than the originals.

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                that wind jammer looks warm - now maybe some leg covers and a way to capture the exhaust heat will keep you toasty and dry.
                There's a set of lowers to go on next.
                Last edited by Grimly; 12-09-2015, 02:56 PM.
                ---- Dave

Comment

Turned out I needn't have worried about the handling, as it's ended up almost in the same stance and feel as the XJ900F
                  I was getting a lot of wind buffeting at speeds over 65 with my '68 Bates. Stock windshield was huge and came well over the top of my helmet, so i made my own windshield/windscreen and made it so the top edge is about even with the bottom part of my nose.

There are windshields and windscreens. Windshields you look thru, and usually need to replace after"x" miles due to scratches. Windscreens DEFLECT the wind and are designed to push the air over you. A proper windscreen is just below eye level.

Comment

Over here, windscreen is the generic term encompassing all, but I know what you mean.
                    I'm reminded of the old Avon windscreens that had a slot cut in them. Never saw the point of that, as by the time you needed to look through the slot, the visibility on the rest of the 'screen was nothing short of dangerously lacking. Eventually, the penny dropped and people began to realise a nose-high screen was all that was needed. Any higher than that was pointless.
                    ---- Dave

Comment

Fixed the tow hitch on the poor old trailer, it doesn't rattle now on the cars towball. I might even get around to respraying the upper part with rust proof silver, better check the workshop before I buy another can.

Comment

Comment

Cleaned and lubed my clutch cable, noticed it was getting a bit stiff on the last ride. Also install one of those super bright LED 1157 bulbs. Gotta a brighter running light and omg a way much brighter stop lite now. Made the mistake of looking right at it with out the lenses on and blindness. Still seeing spots this morning
                          Last edited by mrbill5491; 12-10-2015, 01:07 PM.
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Starts easier than most lawn mowers. A lazy 1/4 turn pull up on the crank and she's off and running.

The main well jet was plugged up.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Dale, do you have a snow plow on it?
                              So far, so good.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I do some metal forging. mostly iron steel or iron. I started forging this knife out from an early 1900s RR spike ( I like walkin the dead tracks)....still needs to get some work on it, filing mostly, and a handle. I dont use power tools on my knives....But them teeth on the upper edge were all hand tooled and are sharpened similar to a chain saw blade....In clean, turn a 90, out nasty....

...and another is a pic of my first forge (modded now)....its a lot mor efficient now, but i still use coal....that adds to the carbon content of ther metal yer workin with....some use propane forges....i dont line em....Im an "old school" guy....i also quench my work in a coffee can of water with 1/4 waste oild floating on top....again, to ad carbon.....

knife_2887.jpg
                                Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2015, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X