No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took today and tomorrow off and picked up some parts, registered the bike for another year, visited Sierra Electronics for some more bike farkles, changed out the rear brake light switch and fluid, finished some other small odds and ends on mine, and started putting Charmayne's valve cover back on. We're going to head back over later this evening and I'm hoping I'll be on the road for my birthday on Sunday.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Petcock.... dammit... coming home from work...after last nights fiasco... bike just wanted to die, no fuel. Drained tank, took off petcock and this is what I found. Disintegrated diaphragm. Rebuild kit ordered. couple of months ago when I bought the bike .... the diaphragm looked fine and was intact. Ya think this might be why the bike appeared to be running lean lately LOL.

Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Petcock temporary fix.... 1 valve, fuel line, vacuum caps, fuel filter, and a dissection of the old diaphragm for a gasket. Works like a charm. You have to run the petcock on RESERVE or the bike will continue to suck the line dry. I will have to check the petcock to make sure it is clear when I rebuild it. I could blow air through it today...but that does not mean something isn't lodged in there.

Edit:

Vacuum caps at vac line on carb and back of petcock, I ran the fuel line to opposite side of bike ( choke and clutch in the way on the left side ) and put the valve and filter there and then back into carb fuel T.

Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2017, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Wow..... that's some pretty clever shade tree engineering! Good on ya for thinking of that.

Comment

Progress, though small, has been made. Going to spend a 3 day weekend working on bike. Found a welder nearby. He charged me $40 to weld the shock tabs on the swingarm. I expressed outrage at the price and made him take more. I’d like to see him around next time I need him….

Anyway, after shimming and jiggling wheel parts the chain lines up and doesn’t hit anything (with a 3/8 offset sprocket. On the other side the brake stay has sufficient clearance, although it may buff off the sharp edge of the tire (190-50) on sharp turns. I think you can see where I’m going with the footpegs. The clutch cover comes out another 1.25 inches to clear the lockup clutch. It would have taken major work for the stock rear brake stuff to clear the swingarm and the clutch cover. Easy fix is move it all outside. Maybe after I get better at welding I’ll try a monoshock conversion. This is becoming less a drag bike and more a sleeper sport bike. Final parts shipment en route, most of it should be here by Saturday. Paint the frame, touch up the motor, rebuild the brakes, install 2 step and CO2 shifter, let 'er rip.... Drag season starts Sunday, think I won't make week 1.

sigpic
            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
            1983 GS1100e
            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
            1980 GS1260
            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

1 step backwards, 1 step forward and another step backward this morning so far but it's looking promising to ride by Sunday. Started to do my carb sync this morning when I noticed the right side of the carbs had moved out of the airbox boots. Adjusted that and finished the carb sync then noticed one of my rear brake light wires that I just fixed yesterday came out of its crimp. I fixed that again so I just have my front brakes to work on this afternoon/evening and I'll be riding Sunday
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Did some exploratory wrenching. As I mentioned elsewhere, I suspect my frame, engine mounts, or both are tweaked from crashes from the PO, me, or both. I spent some time rolling on the floor with a flashlight just looking at details and taking things in to try to get an overall picture of things before drawing conclusions. Based on the non original stator cover the bike came with, the repaired front engine mounting lug, and the way the sprockets misalign, it seems that the rear of the engine is pushed to the right.
                I unbolted all but the front engine mounting bolts to see if anything had misalignment or tension that would indicate trouble. The right rear upper mounting bracket looks to be bent to the right, and the left rear lower frame bracket by the sprocket looks to be pushed in. This would verify my theory. Im taking this slow by design to allow myself to think and hopefully prevent myself from doing anything stupid with tools of persuasion. I really think that lower left bracket is the culprit. If I can pull it out, I think that may solve or at least help a lot..... more to come....
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Two years ago, I bought a 2009 Wee Strom, DL650. A bit later, I bought a "Bestem" model 929 top box or travel trunk, and a Suzuki center stand. I made only half-hearted attempts to install them.

I haven't posted pictures in several years. Those will follow after I remember how.

Last week I installed the travel trunk. It comes with an adapter plate for luggage racks. I drilled four holes in it. Two were 3/4" at the very front, to provide access to the mounting bolts for the stock luggage rack. Two were in the rear, to bolt the adapter plate to the luggage rack. In the middle, a Bestem-provided steel channel is under the luggage rack, with bolts going through openings in the rack to pre-drilled holed in the adapter plate. The trunk is now installed mechanically. A 40 mile ride revealed no motion. The trunk is 46 liters, and can handle two full-face helmets.

I still need to wire the included brake light to the bike.

I plan to paint the box fluorescent green. Black doesn't attract the eye. Bright green does. I also have highly reflective tape to apply after the box is painted. People who own this box say that it turns into an oven in bright sun, getting hot enough distort a decorative red plastic band around the middle. In June and July in Albuquerque, highs often exceed 100F. Light green paint should reflect most light, reducing box temperatures.

I got the center stand 2/3 installed yesterday. The 650 Wee Strom comes without the center stand, a $250 accessory. I bought one from Ron Ayers, as the local Suzuki dealer wanted close to $400. The hangup was getting mounting bolts started with poor access and visibility, and my thumbs not working properly. After trying several approaches, I stumbled on one that worked. Bolts have blue Locktite. Bushings have Phil waterproof grease.

The springs aren't yet installed. I bought brake spring pliers, but the exhaust system is in the way. I really don't want to remove the exhaust system.

The kit did not include the rubber bumper that goes between the exhaust system and the center stand. I sent a note to Ron Ayers asking about this. In a pinch, I can fabricate a bumper. I work in a rubber products factory.
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Put a new maxxis promaxx street on the front of my gs1000g
                    I build Pipers

Comment

Finished the side project

my homage to the he GS1000's I drooled over as a teenager

IMG_2165.jpg

back to the big restomod after a work trip to LA
                      78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
                      82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
                      83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
                      2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
                      Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Gave the lawn it's first hair cut of the year.

V
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                          Gave the lawn it's first hair cut of the year.

V
                          Not sure that mowing the lawn qualifies as wrenching on a motorcycle, but it is a necessary part of life, isn't it? You must not live in MI; the grass around here is just beginning to turn green. Gonna be a few more weeks before it needs mowing.

Comment

After a fork spring replacement on my 82' 750T, I noticed my brakes appear to have never been serviced by the previous owner. So I opted to pull the rotor, send it for resurfacing, and whilst the front end was apart, polished the recently upgraded forks. I also painted the center of the rotor cloud silver before sending it out, on a lark, to change up the color a bit in front. Also removed all the brake dust and road grime from the front wheel, (which also just got a new shinko 230 last week, replacing a 17 year old Bridestone.. scary) The Rotor comes back tomorrow and new steel brake lines, new pads get installed. Nice and calming polishing forks on a sunny April Sunday....Pics for fun below.

The left unfinished, right one just done...

both all done

front wheel ready for new disk...

my new favorite tool..
                            PB
                            Central Jersey
                            82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

PB those forks look great. Where did you send the rotors to?

bsharpish, the bike looks great also. Tasteful mods. Looks like a full 82 1100e suspension swap?
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                                PB those forks look great. Where did you send the rotors to?

bsharpish, the bike looks great also. Tasteful mods. Looks like a full 82 1100e suspension swap?
                                thanks .... pretty much all 82 GS1100E other than CB900F rear shocks (I like the lifted look and it's about the ride height of a gs1000 race bike)
                                78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
                                82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
                                83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
                                2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
                                Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Working...
                                X