No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's see...kinda unconventional but I pulled a foot long section of barb wire out of one of my horse's tail, put the front tire back on the bike, and removed the rear tire after dropping the exhaust pipes. Almost had to cuss out my bike again as the biggest socket I had didn't fit the axle nut and I've had issues with going out to buy new tools. But, I found my crescent wrench sitting in the bottom of the toolbox so all was good.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Rehabing a Vetter WJ fairing

I picked up an old (circa 1981) WJ fairing, bags, and trunk off of an '81 Wing for $150 locally. I had added a HID bulb to my Concours, and the kit came with two bulbs & ballasts... albeit only one harness! I took the headlight housing & bucket out of the WJ, and after finding the bottom part of the housing was rusted away, I found it uses the same bulb as my Concours. Now all I need for HID here is the hi/low harness, although I'm going to have to modify the bucket for the longer HID bulb. I've sent an email to the vendor to see if they sell the harness alone from the kit.

I also ordered a Bosch 7" replacement housing for like $30 shipped.

I've also got a replacement WJ wiring connector on the way and will re-wire it with some high quality automotive wire. It'll be a lot better than new when I'm done.

Now all I need is a "G" model to put it on once done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless View Post
        Trying to figure out if I want the bellypan / spoiler.

Looks to me as if hitting a bump that uses up all front suspension travel would turn the belly pan into a shovel!
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Got the intake boots off just minutes before a major thunderstorm invaded the area
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Galfer Wave Rotors: Still bedding them in

Comment

to do list is getting shorter

I like those rotors posplyr.

I stripped my new 1150 of all the hacked up wiring loom. One thing led to another and I kept removing questionable equipment - ok , almost EVERYTHING. Engine next - I got into the clutch , found a straight gear has been installed on the crank/clutch basket .

hooray!

set all the valve lash gaps, new NGK's, put on my spare APE cam chain tensioner, put my mikunnis on it, fabbed up coil mounts for the dynas' R&R and starter solenoid, wired a simple ignition circuit for now, polished up the vance and hines sidewinder.

droped my camera playing the "riding game" so I am not photo logging my progress.(new camera on pay day)

now it is just shy of bare bones -- I'm starting today with fuel tank flushing , hand and foot control adjustment , I may make my own wiring harness so the speedo/ gauges basicly work But I might not ??? who needs stinking gauges all I need is a shift light..

may skip the key switch too.

brand new Metzler tires front and rear -- the more I look the better my end of the trade deal gets. It may have sat for 6 years but the tires didn't.

dude must have droped a fortune on this bike and ??? forgot to pay or went to jail or something damn shame. for him not me. I finally got the better end of a bike deal - it's been a long time
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                I like those rotors posplyr.

I stripped my new 1150 of all the hacked up wiring loom. One thing led to another and I kept removing questionable equipment - ok , almost EVERYTHING. Engine next - I got into the clutch , found a straight gear has been installed on the crank/clutch basket .

hooray!

set all the valve lash gaps, new NGK's, put on my spare APE cam chain tensioner, put my mikunnis on it, fabbed up coil mounts for the dynas' R&R and starter solenoid, wired a simple ignition circuit for now, polished up the vance and hines sidewinder.

droped my camera playing the "riding game" so I am not photo logging my progress.(new camera on pay day)

now it is just shy of bare bones -- I'm starting today with fuel tank flushing , hand and foot control adjustment , I may make my own wiring harness so the speedo/ gauges basicly work But I might not ??? who needs stinking gauges all I need is a shift light..

may skip the key switch too.

brand new Metzler tires front and rear -- the more I look the better my end of the trade deal gets. It may have sat for 6 years but the tires didn't.

dude must have droped a fortune on this bike and ??? forgot to pay or went to jail or something damn shame. for him not me. I finally got the better end of a bike deal - it's been a long time
                Congrats ; you sound pleased.

I have done the filmimg while riding but have thought better of doing it anymore lately. I have only done it on deserted back roads (from Happy Camp). Dropping the camera could be the least of your worries; hitting something else would be much worse.
                Last edited by posplayr; 08-04-2010, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Removed rear tire and swingarm from my '83 1100E. Checked, cleaned and regreased cush drive and swing arm bearings. Refitted with new 40 tooth rear sprocket and new chain. PO didn't believe in torque specs. Every nut and bolt I removed was barely tight initially. Kinda scary. I immediatedly checked steering neck, front wheel and brake calipers. Some of these loose too. Tightened all and went for a spirited jaunt down I-12. I'm still mightily impressed by this scooter's power. Rolled on from 80mph to about 120 before front began to wobble. I'll need to check into that issue next.

Mike

Comment

I am mad enough to spit sparks right now. After tearing my carbs down, dunking, installing new o-rings, gaskets, etc, I read the part in the VM guide about the fuel Ts - that there are two types, and if you have the rubber, non o-ring type you may want to consider NOT breaking them down because they fittings will likely not seat again. Guess which type I have, and yes I am positive I did not NEED to soak the carbs, but I figured I had time to kill so why not... So now more money and more waiting.

I know, I know, I should have read the whole thing thoroughly before hand but I skipped the reassembly instructions until reassembly time. That info would have been MUCH more useful at the beginning of the article .

I need to bake something.
                    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                      I need to bake something.

Bake the hall in the candle of her brain!

(don't know why, but that leapt into my head as soon as I read that last line...)

Comment

Song lyric?
                        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

(re ALLIE)lol not at u but that sounds like something i would do best of luck to ya man.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                            Song lyric?
                            The Frog Prince.

Gosh, that was 40 years ago. Is our generation the one to be dated by Muppets references?

Comment

Originally posted by wheatdog View Post
                              Removed rear tire and swingarm from my '83 1100E. Checked, cleaned and regreased cush drive and swing arm bearings. Refitted with new 40 tooth rear sprocket and new chain. PO didn't believe in torque specs. Every nut and bolt I removed was barely tight initially. Kinda scary. I immediatedly checked steering neck, front wheel and brake calipers. Some of these loose too. Tightened all and went for a spirited jaunt down I-12. I'm still mightily impressed by this scooter's power. Rolled on from 80mph to about 120 before front began to wobble. I'll need to check into that issue next.

Mike
                              A fork brace would help if you don't have one. Also change fork oil and make sure it is even by measuring the levels. New tires (like Avon RoadRiders) and Racetech emulators would help if you want to continue doing that type of "roll on"

Comment

Installed the headlight upgrade on my GS 450. Amazing improvement over the sealed beam. I was in such a hurry I forgot to take pics......the light was from Candlepower, fit perfectly and worth the $50 it cost me. I bought this little bike as a daily commuter and I love it as much as any of the others, what great little bike!

Comment

Working...
                                X