No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charlie, that looks beautiful. And yes, It does appear to arch up slightly. I looked back at my in progress pic and it has the same effect.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

It looks great. The craftsman who makes something is usually his own harshest critic. Stick a straightedge next to it to check it. A taut string will do. Optical illusions happen.
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

As a photographer, that is clearly wide angle lens distortion.
        The human eye will also distort the same way, but the brain corrects the distortion.
        Perception is arbitrary.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

A bit of lens barrel distortion - just the handmaiden of pincushion. Various photo manipulation packages can correct that.
          Here's something that's quite informative...
          Place your hands either side of your head, like a set of horse blinders / blinkers and move your head up and down. Observe the strange effect on previously horizontal lines in the scene. As Bill says, we unconsciously correct for that all the time, but the camera is a simple device, and while good quality lenses faithfully transmit all that's in front of them, they have to be tweaked in design to correct for that, else we don't think they're much good. Of course, worse ones exist, and the worst of them are pretty bad.

As far as wrenching today ; nothing much, but with the tail end of Storm Wotsitcalled dumping its remnants here I decided to get the remaining items off the floor, just in case...
          Last edited by Grimly; 01-25-2016, 10:51 PM.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Ok, inspired to work on my GS1100G this winter, progressing towards more sport performance overall.
            Modded an upper tree from a 1100E to fit clip-ons, I wanted clip-ons so I could lower the front. The front was a bit high because I installed .95 Sonic Springs this last summer.
            One thing leads to another…

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
              2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Had to fabricate some new mounts for my windshield, the 3rd time this year, because I changed the handlebars twice.
                Also replaced ye olde GS cows-ear signal lights for the smaller 1990s Katana style.

Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 02-02-2016, 01:04 PM.

Comment

restarted painting my kz. last spring I got impatient on a nice March day, and after watching my neighbor take off on his Harley with his wife I had enough and slapped it back together. the good thing about that ride is it cured the primer in a hurry. I started by sanding the primer to remove the surface dirt and remove the imperfections I put into the primer, then sprayed another 3 coats. i'll be sanding those coats smooth either tonight or tomorrow, depending on how cured the primer is in my cold garage.

Comment

Just a rubbin' and a Buffin'... I got all the engine covers done. The engine badges are not original style, but I like them. Still have the fork legs to do...
                    Attached Files
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                      Ok, inspired to work on my GS1100G this winter, progressing towards more sport performance overall.
                      Modded an upper tree from a 1100E to fit clip-ons, I wanted clip-ons so I could lower the front. The front was a bit high because I installed .95 Sonic Springs this last summer.
                      One thing leads to another…

I like the look of the clip ons, but may I ask why you didn't completely remove the perches?
                      GSRick
                      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                        Just a rubbin' and a Buffin'... I got all the engine covers done. The engine badges are not original style, but I like them. Still have the fork legs to do...
                        Looking good Norm, should be BOM ready soon.
                        GSRick
                        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                          I like the look of the clip ons, but may I ask why you didn't completely remove the perches?
                          Thanks, I was going to, but found out they're hollow and did not want the funky holes or weaken the structure. I'm not really done with ideas, plus the bolt holes work well for the windshield braces.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                            Looking great! I tried long and hard to find a set of the original badges, but they were priced in the stratosphere. We're you able to save the old ones?
                            sigpic
                            Steve
                            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Nothing garage wise, just a couple of EA-18G Growler aircraft

Comment

Put a new Puig windscreen and mirror extensions on the Bandit today, then spent 4 hours looking for the keys. Gave up, took a nap. Woke up with a start and remembered the pile of clothes I made a few days ago for the Goodwill. Life is good again, ordering blanks on eBay for spares.....
                                sigpic
                                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                                1983 GS1100e
                                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                                1980 GS1260
                                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                                X