what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sinkankan View Post
    The motorbike gods smiled on me today, sold the GS1100 for $2250 this week and when to the Vintage Motorcycle swap meet here in Perth and found a almost full set of valve shims in the blue Suzuki box, with the spanner and a spare GS850 airbox in good condition. All for $120, and I wandered up a few stalls and found a spare head for the B33 BSA, in ok condition for $50. I roamed around and saw a few project bikes, like a trailer load of Puch scooters for $600, a 1976 KZ900 restored for $14,000, and a heap of farm dirt bikes loving rusted away and rescued from barns.
    The GS1100 sold to fellow over in SA, looks to be a GS forum member as well.
    Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, That's my bike!!

Quick question to the knowledgerati, is the NGK Iridium DR8EIX the correct plug for the GS1100GK? A search through the forum and the NGK plug site failed to yield solid information.

Cheers, SB

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastionbear View Post

Quick question to the knowledgerati, is the NGK Iridium DR8EIX the correct plug for the GS1100GK? A search through the forum and the NGK plug site failed to yield solid information.

Cheers, SB
      Factory manual states: Standard plug=NGK:B8ES Hot plug=NGK:B7ES Cold plug=B9ES
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastionbear View Post

Cheers, SB
        Yeah you can use it, though it is an expensive plug and a resistor plug as well. If you still have the stock wires those are probably resistor wires already. The NGK B8ES plugs work just fine. I put a new set in every year just for the hell of it and they cheap lol.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Fiddled with the XJ9 ignition today and discovered the PO had fitted a replacement cheap coil from China, which had a lead that was entirely sliced through on the outer insulation, near a frame rail. No sign of mechanical damage to the lead, so I suspect it was just shoddy manufacture. Not only that, but it was a mile different in secondary ohmage from the OEM coil that it partnered.
          The substitution with a pair of CBR1000 coils works well, and goes some way towards sorting out a niggling off-beat idle and low-speed pick-up stumble.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Red got an oil change, new oil filter and a new front brake light switch - the old one was definitively 30yrs+, completely worn down and gunked up with road grime plus grease.

Also temporarily improved ground connection to rear lights by pinching connector sockets (new connectors will be installed later). Found rear bulb burnt out (both normal and brake filament gonsky).
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Replaced rear bulb on Red, and checked both stator and regulator. Found the stator in OK condition (measuring around 1Ω for each winding), but the R/R is unhealthy. Has two dead diodes. Also found rear brake fluid level a bit too low.

Now researching where to get the SH775 in Europe.
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                Replaced rear bulb on Red, and checked both stator and regulator. Found the stator in OK condition (measuring around 1Ω for each winding), but the R/R is unhealthy. Has two dead diodes. Also found rear brake fluid level a bit too low.

Now researching where to get the SH775 in Europe.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Finally able to properly display my prize possessions of tools.

OEM Suzuki tools. Don't see these much anymore. It sure is another example of how OEM is on another level of quality. You can't even compare my aftermarket tools to the Suzuki ones.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                    Finally able to properly display my prize possessions of tools.

OEM Suzuki tools. Don't see these much anymore. It sure is another example of how OEM is on another level of quality. You can't even compare my aftermarket tools to the Suzuki ones.
                    Wait, one thing is missing, the BIG hammer lol.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

cleaned up the gasket surfaces on the cylinders, now I have to wait for the gaskets to arrive so I can begin the reassembly...
                      1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Got it out of the truck and took the gas tank off for a better look. Just had carpal tunnel release surgery yesterday so I can't do a whole lot.

gsxr1.jpg

Comment

Transplanted both the regulator and rectifier from the Blue onto Red, since the regulator on Red was faulty as well. As I suspected.

My current hypothesis is that the regulator died first, and the voltage going too high slowly cooked the rectifier. I think I got off the hook with a warning; I imagine that if the regulator would've failed short (instead of open), my stator would've been gone as well.

I'm quite happy to have an electronics workbench; so I could test and measure properly. And to have a second bike of the same model, so I'm able to swap parts until replacements arrive.

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                          Thanks, unfortunately one has to go through local dealers, for which I can't find any useable address in my country. And since Switzerland is not part of the EU, it doesn't make a huge difference wether I'll order from a neighbouring country or any-place else on the globe. Just gotta find a supplier with sane shipping costs now.

Comment

Finished putting new clutch springs in the XJ900 today along with already cleaning up all the clutch plates. No more slipping in high gear under load. Old springs were 40mm and new ones are 44mm. Specs call for at least 43mm in length. 33 years has a way of compressing the old stuff. Next up are the new set of Hagons I just received from Dave Quinn Motorcycles in CT to replace the original leaking stock shocks. They are still in the box because I had to test ride my clutch work. It's been 2 weeks since I've been home near my bike and I couldn't wait for my fix.

Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2016, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                              Put new clutch springs in the XJ900 today along with cleaning up all the clutch plates. No more slipping in high gear under load. Old springs were 40mm and new ones are 44mm. Specs call for at least 43mm in length. 33 years has a way of compressing the old stuff. Next up are the new set of Hagons I just received from Dave Quinn Motorcycles in CT to replace the original leaking stock shocks. They are still in the box because I had to test ride my clutch work because it's been 2 weeks since I've been home near my bike and I couldn't wait for my fix.

Possible to get a go at that next month? I'll let you ride whatever I bring to our next meet... I promise I won't be buying this one off you
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                              Originally posted by Hayabuser
                              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                                Possible to get a go at that next month? I'll let you ride whatever I bring to our next meet... I promise I won't be buying this one off you
                                Sure, but it's old school and may seem slow compared to what you've been riding lately.

Comment

Working...
                                X